Author Topic: Cattle Dealers of Londonderry/Derry late 1800's early 1900's  (Read 7620 times)

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cattle Dealers of Londonderry/Derry late 1800's early 1900's
« on: Thursday 02 January 14 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking for info on Derry cattle dealers.....any archive or photos of the dealers or the old cattle market on Rossville street.......has anyone done a history of this subject, can't really find any info on this online.
My own granda John Cassidy 1882-1948 and his father William 1858-1928  were cattle dealers.
Any help in this matter would be very welcome, many thanks
argyle25cassidy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cattle Dealers of Londonderry/Derry late 1800's early 1900's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 January 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Wonder that you didn't find 'anything' online since a google for 'market rossville St derry' came up with a youtube video (1902) and other historical mentions as well-  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZhXwly4MY
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 January 14 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I have that footage on a dvd..........but it doesn't tell you anything or name anyone on the film footage....and not that great footage either.
I am looking for proper info on the cattle market, I have dozens of books about Derry, but nothing with the cattle market in it. So if that's all "that is online" I don't think I was far off the mark with saying I can't find anything. Look forward to anymore replys with some proper info....many thanks
Regards argyle25cassidy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 January 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Well, I did find various details about the cattle market online from various sources but since you are looking for some sort of 'proper info' and aren't interested in anything "that is online" suggest you check Derry City Library, Tower Museum, PRONI, newspaper archives, etc.

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 January 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I will look elsewhere.......you seem to have attitude to people when they ask for help, you might spend time looking for info for people, but that is your choice. If you found other info you didn't mention it.I have looked online and can't seem to find any info on the market. you are far to Abrupt with some of your posts.I look forward to any reply you might post you seem to imply that I have not looked online, if you don't live in Ireland/Derry you have to rely on the internet, that's why people come on these sites.
Regards

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 January 14 15:58 GMT (UK) »
First of all, there is absolutely no need to be rude. You do seem to have forgotten that I did provide you with information on at least one topic recently- all of which took time to look up and then post but you needn't worry because I shall not be annoying you further with any more information after this post.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670397.msg5155378#msg5155378

I have no idea where you live and since you rejected online sources I suggested some offline ones.
Since you apparently don't live in Ireland a visit to Derry Library, Tower Museum and newspaper archives isn't practical but PRONI does have an online catalogue which would be worth checking and several online databases (especially the Valuation Revision Books which cover properties from the printed version of Griffith's until c1929).

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 January 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not being rude.........I always use my manners
Thankyou for anytime you have put in, but I didn't get any info that I didn't already know.
I have looked on all the sites you suggest, that is why I came on here, because I didn't find any info.
Regards   

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 January 14 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Argyle25cassidy,

Have a look on Facebook page '400th anniversary of derrys walls' Its a page of old photos of Derry and people.  In album -Old scenes from the city - photo of cattle market and folk have posted names and bits of information.  Regards Reichs

Offline argyle25cassidy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Reichs..........I will have a look.
Regards argyle25cassidy