Author Topic: Looking for Arnsheen/Aranshean Terrace, Duke Street, Ayr  (Read 9507 times)

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Arnsheen/Aranshean Terrace, Duke Street, Ayr
« on: Friday 03 January 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping that someone will know where in Ayr Duke Street was/is. The 1894 and 1900 Ayr Post Office and Trade Directories have John Duncan, engine driver, residing there but I haven't had any luck searching online maps.
Darby in Deal, Kent; Palmer in Gravesend, Shorne, Strood, Kent; Stewart & Duncan in Ayrshire; Powell in Limerick

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Arnsheen/Aranshean Terrace, Duke Street, Ayr
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 January 14 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it's gone now but the answer to a query on another site has details-
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Society-and-Culture/People-and-Places/Question103663.html

Or maybe not  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 January 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, aghadowey. Unfortunately the Kilmarnock Duke Street is not the one. The family I'm looking for are in Ayr and Newton on Ayr census, valuation rolls and Post Office directories for Duke Street from 1891 to 1920s. Thanks for the quick reply, though.
Darby in Deal, Kent; Palmer in Gravesend, Shorne, Strood, Kent; Stewart & Duncan in Ayrshire; Powell in Limerick

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 January 14 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I also found a postal directory online (1894) and checked the street section (sometimes will say something like 'Duke St. off High Street' but unfortunately not in that issue). The OP on the other site does seem to be looking for the same Duke St. in Ayr that you want (and not the one in Kilmarnock).

If you don't get an answer to your query I suggest contacting the Carnegie Library in Ayr- they've a reference section as well as a local history one-
http://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/libraries/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 January 14 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 January 14 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you followed through on the NLS directories past 1900? See http://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Ayrshire

Was there more than one John Duncan living in Duke Street in that time?

For example, I can see a John Duncan showing at 12 Duke Street in 1903-4 here www.archive.org/stream/ayrpostofficegen190304uns#page/226/mode/2up  However, in the 1901 census, this John shows as a Gardeners Labourer, married to an Elizabeth. His son John is showing as a boot finisher.

However, you have a John Duncan showing in Duke Street as an engine driver. Can't be the same John  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 January 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Duke Street was around the Viewfield Road/Russell Drive area.

Go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html , put in the co-ords  234205  622665 and select one of the 1,2500 maps from 1896 onwards.  :)

Steven

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Monica. You have the right family. There was one John Duncan in Duke Street, first at 20 Duke Street (1891 census), then at 12 Duke Street (1901 census). The P.O. and Trade Directories seem to refer to 12 Duke Street as 12 Arnsheen Terrace.
John was railway worker for most of his adult life: stoker (1875 marriage register; 1881 census) then engine driver (1891 census; 1899 daughter Jane's marriage register). In 1901 at age 55 he seems to have retired and is listed as Gardener's Labourer (1901 census) then Gardener (1915 and 1920 Valuation Rolls). John is not the first ancestor I've found who retired from labouring to become a gardener.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I wish I could find an Ayr map c. the period  you are now looking at (they all seem to stop mid 1860s  :-\ from what I have found). Steven's recommendation would be the way to go now I think. Have seen the reference to Viewfield Road too...just hadn't seen a more modern map to link it to.

Aghadowey's suggestion of contacting www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/libraries/ will also help  :)

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk