Author Topic: Looking for Arnsheen/Aranshean Terrace, Duke Street, Ayr  (Read 9519 times)

Offline DMEUTZNER

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Arnsheen/Aranshean Terrace, Duke Street, Ayr
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
Could you give me some information on William Cowan. He was my great great grandfather who lived at 20 Duke St., Ayr.
Thanks

Dean

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 January 15 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dean, here's what I have on William Cowan...

William Cowan married my great great aunt, Mary Stewart. Mary's sister, Elizabeth Stewart (my great great grandmother), married John Duncan.

John Duncan and William Cowan both lodged with their families at 9 Damside with the widowed Mary Stewart, nee McLeod (grandmother of William Cowan's wife Mary).   Grandmother Mary Stewart died in 1876 and the Cowans and Duncans continued to live at Damside. Between the two families there were 16 children at 9 Damside before the Duncans moved into their own home about 1890. The Duncans rented their own home at 20 Duke Street. The Duncans then moved to 12 Duke Street by 1895.

William Cowan born about 1853 in Ayr

1861 Census: Age - 8. Residence - Shaw Cottage, St Quivox and Newton on Ayr

1871 Census: Age - 17. Occupation - Railway Engine Cleaner. Residence - Damside, Stewarts Land. William Cowan is lodging with Mary Stewart, grandmother of his future wife.

1872 Nov 22. Marriage to Mary Stewart, Whitletts, St Quivox Parish. Occupation - Stoker. Residence - Damside, Newton Parish. Parents James Cowan, Ploughman and Martha Cowan maiden name Hodges.

1875 Scotland Valuation Roll: Residence - Damside. Occupation - Fireman. Proprietor Mrs Anthony Stewart (Mary Stewart, widow) owns two houses side-by-side. Mary lives in one, William Cowan is the tenant of the other.

1881 Census: Age - 27. Residence - 9 Damside. Occupation - Railway Engine Driver. Co-tenants with the Duncan family

1885 Scotland Valuation Roll: Co-tenant at 9 Damside with brother-in-law John Duncan. Proprietor recorded as Anthony Stewart, Blacksmith, of 54 Beansburn, Kilmarnock

1891 Census: Age - 37. Residence - 36 Nelson Street. Occupation - Railway Engine Driver

1901 Census: Age - 48. Residence - 32 Nelson Street. Occupation - Railway Engine Driver

1916 May 12. Death. Cause of death: Chronic Bright's disease. Died at: 20 Duke Street.

I hope there is something new in this information for you.

Regards,

Andrew
Darby in Deal, Kent; Palmer in Gravesend, Shorne, Strood, Kent; Stewart & Duncan in Ayrshire; Powell in Limerick

Offline Terry Mccreath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 February 15 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dean, here's what I have on William Cowan...

William Cowan married my great great aunt, Mary Stewart. Mary's sister, Elizabeth Stewart (my great great grandmother), married John Duncan.

John Duncan and William Cowan both lodged with their families at 9 Damside with the widowed Mary Stewart, nee McLeod (grandmother of William Cowan's wife Mary).   Grandmother Mary Stewart died in 1876 and the Cowans and Duncans continued to live at Damside. Between the two families there were 16 children at 9 Damside before the Duncans moved into their own home about 1890. The Duncans rented their own home at 20 Duke Street. The Duncans then moved to 12 Duke Street by 1895.

William Cowan born about 1853 in Ayr

1861 Census: Age - 8. Residence - Shaw Cottage, St Quivox and Newton on Ayr

1871 Census: Age - 17. Occupation - Railway Engine Cleaner. Residence - Damside, Stewarts Land. William Cowan is lodging with Mary Stewart, grandmother of his future wife.

1872 Nov 22. Marriage to Mary Stewart, Whitletts, St Quivox Parish. Occupation - Stoker. Residence - Damside, Newton Parish. Parents James Cowan, Ploughman and Martha Cowan maiden name Hodges.

1875 Scotland Valuation Roll: Residence - Damside. Occupation - Fireman. Proprietor Mrs Anthony Stewart (Mary Stewart, widow) owns two houses side-by-side. Mary lives in one, William Cowan is the tenant of the other.

1881 Census: Age - 27. Residence - 9 Damside. Occupation - Railway Engine Driver. Co-tenants with the Duncan family

1885 Scotland Valuation Roll: Co-tenant at 9 Damside with brother-in-law John Duncan. Proprietor recorded as Anthony Stewart, Blacksmith, of 54 Beansburn, Kilmarnock

1891 Census: Age - 37. Residence - 36 Nelson Street. Occupation - Railway Engine Driver

1901 Census: Age - 48. Residence - 32 Nelson Street. Occupation - Railway Engine Driver

1916 May 12. Death. Cause of death: Chronic Bright's disease. Died at: 20 Duke Street.

I hope there is something new in this information for you.

Regards,

Andrew

I lived at 20 Duke street  from the early sixties untill 1974. My name is Terry McCreath

Offline Terry Mccreath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 February 15 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping that someone will know where in Ayr Duke Street was/is. The 1894 and 1900 Ayr Post Office and Trade Directories have John Duncan, engine driver, residing there but I haven't had any luck searching online maps.
I stayed at 20 duke street from 1960 to 1974

Offline Adam Glass

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 August 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hello I read your post with interest. I have been away from Ayr for many years but still have family members in the town. I recall the area your are talking about from my youth, mostly all of this area has been redeveloped. I am doing a tribute to Tam McKean, born 1900, who was the founder of the Ayr Health and Strength club, founded in 1920. Tam fired up steam engines at the railway yards, adjacent to the club at Tam's Brig. If you are able I suggest you join the group Remembering Auld Ayr. It is a great resource continually being updated. I have seen many references, stories and photos of much on old Ayr pertaining to the places you mention. Attachments Signal Box Tam's Brig, photo Damside, showing Gasworks. Two of many vintage photos on the Ayr site. hope this helps

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 August 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Gasworks photo?
Welcome to RootsChat.
Cowban

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 September 18 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam,

Thanks for your message and photo. I can't see the Gasworks photo, though, so I'll have a look at the Remembering Auld Ayr group. As an Australian, the first thing that strikes me is the brown brickwork of Ayr. I wonder if the Duke Street houses were built of the same?

Regards,

Andrew Palmer
Darby in Deal, Kent; Palmer in Gravesend, Shorne, Strood, Kent; Stewart & Duncan in Ayrshire; Powell in Limerick

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 September 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your messages, and sorry for the delay in replying. Amazing that you lived at number 20. May I ask what the house and garden were like?

Regards,

Andrew Palmer

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 07 September 18 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam,

Thanks for your message and photo. I can't see the Gasworks photo, though, so I'll have a look at the Remembering Auld Ayr group. As an Australian, the first thing that strikes me is the brown brickwork of Ayr. I wonder if the Duke Street houses were built of the same?

Regards,

Andrew Palmer

Signal-box is unsurprisingly dark & grubby. There used to be a lot of coal-wagons passing it.
Many houses and other buildings in Ayr are built of red sandstone, some of blond sandstone. Some just have sandstone frontages. Some houses are rendered brick.

Tomorrow and Sunday is Ayrshire "Doors Open" weekend when public are invited to tour buildings they might not normally see inside. See website "Doors Open 2018" for list, info + some pics .
Cowban