Author Topic: Looking for Arnsheen/Aranshean Terrace, Duke Street, Ayr  (Read 9498 times)

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Arnsheen/Aranshean Terrace, Duke Street, Ayr
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Steven and Monica. Found it on the 1909 Pre-WWII 1:2500 at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html  I had suspected it was near a railway, as the 1915 and 1920 Valuation Rolls record a number of engine drivers, engine cleaners, signalmen, guards living in Duke Street - and there it is, just a street away from a railway engine shed!
There is also a lace factory nearby, which fits with John's daughter, Letitia, being employed as a lace worker.

Thanks again.

Andrew
Darby in Deal, Kent; Palmer in Gravesend, Shorne, Strood, Kent; Stewart & Duncan in Ayrshire; Powell in Limerick

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Great! Well done Steven for the directions  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mikayla

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 January 14 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I now live next to Duke Terrace which was named after Duke Street,we did a huge research on the area for a community day event last may,Ayrshire Archives have maps and details of the area,when we researched occupations most were engine and rail workers in the 1901 and 1911 census,sadly we couldn't find a photo which was clearly Duke Street,if you would like any info we have gathered please let me know via pm.

Offline davidhou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 January 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Duke St run parallel with part of viewfield road I was one of the last to move before demolition we lived with an uncle and the old rail sheds were just across the foot bridge from viewfield road where all the steam engines were kept my brother in law was a stoker then a driver and he is in his seventies now and his son is now a driver
viefield Rd run from Allison St
I hope this is of some help
regard David     

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 January 14 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, David. That kind of detail is fantastic, as I'm trying to write down what it would have been like for my great-great grandfather to live in the area and be a stoker, later engine driver.
I'm in Australia, so have to rely on internet and books. I assume that the railway company 1875 - 1920 was the Glasgow and South Western Railway?

David, do you have any recollection of the Newton upon Ayr gas works in Allison Street behind Damside? Could you see them or smell them in Duke Street?

Thanks again,

Andrew
Darby in Deal, Kent; Palmer in Gravesend, Shorne, Strood, Kent; Stewart & Duncan in Ayrshire; Powell in Limerick

Offline davidhou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 January 14 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew
Im sure we couldn't see the gas works from there but must have some smell at times if the wind was in that direction as the start of Duke St would only be 2 or 3 hundred yds away as the crow flies we were in No 4 which was the nearest to the gas works 90% of the houses were semi detached bungalows  or terraced as I remember with back gardens one block at the opposite side of the street being 2 story I think ether 2 closes or 1 with 4 or 8 flats
the main entrance to the gas work was at the very bottom of damside at the junction of tweed St
and main St across from the big brewery pub the building is still there but no pub behind the pub I im sure was the brewery and turners lemonade  now shops my brother in law might have some photos connected to the railway next time Im in Uk I will find out I live mostly in Cyprus anything else I can help you with let me know what was your grandfathers name out of interest
regard David   

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 January 14 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, David. My Great-great grandfather was John Duncan. He lived at 9 Damside 1875 - 1890, then moved to Duke Street - first number 20, then number 12. His brother-in-law, William Cowan, was also an engine driver. John Duncan retired from the railway about 1901.

I really appreciate you sharing your memories of the area. Any photos would be a bonus.

Andrew

Offline davidhou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew
out of curiosity I went on to the Scottish post office directories for that time and I see there is a james Duncan engine driver 51 Nelson St  which is just around the corner from Duke St could this be another relative Im sure the Carnegie public library 12 Main St Ayr would have photos and information for you
regards David

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi David.

I saw the same trade directory entries - those books are a goldmine of information. As far as I know James Duncan is not related. With Rootschatters' help I've determined that John Duncan was illegitimate, born in Glasgow and grew up with his uncle's family (McWhirter) in Ayr. I don't know of any connection with Ayrshire Duncans.

Thanks for the information on the Carnegie library. I'll look them up.

Andrew