Author Topic: Looking for Samuel Carlisle, James Edward, Sarah Ann and Frederick Gray/Grey  (Read 3639 times)

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find out what happened to Samuel Carlisle Gray/Grey and his children James Edward, Sarah Ann and Frederick after the death of his wife. Isabella Ann (maiden name Dixon) committed suicide 20th March 1895 and her death was reported in The Shields Gazette on that day. An inquest was held at Jarrow Police Station the same day and the jury recorded a verdict of “suicide whilst of unsound mind”. They had heard that she had been suffering from influenza and her husband had been out of work for some time. He had gone from their home in Frederick Street, Jarrow to Blyth, Northumberland,  to try and find work that day. Samuel was a blacksmith and they had three children. After this date the only one of the family I can find is James Edward who, in 1901, is living with his maternal uncle, Robert Dixon, in East Molesden, Northumberland.
Other information:
Samuel and Isabella married in Morpeth, Northumberland in 1885.
James Edward and Sarah Ann were born in South Hetton, Co Durham  and baptised at St Paul's Haswell 3rd October 1888.
In 1891 the family are living at 7 Alexandra Terrace, Tyne Dock, South Shields. Frederick's birth place is given as Tyne Dock.
In 1895 the family were living at 15 Frederick Street, Jarrow.
In the newspaper reports Isabella is said to be the mother of three children so I am, at the moment, assuming that these children were James Edward, Sarah Ann and Frederick.
I think James married Isabella Edgar in Morpeth, Northumberland in 1908 and is living with her and their son, Robert, in Hirst, Northumberland in 1911.
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Samuel Carlisle, James Edward, Sarah Ann and Frederick Gray/Grey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 January 14 16:03 GMT (UK) »
How sad and the children were so young at the time :(

There's a Sarah Ann Gray marriage to Frederick Tolley in 1908 Auckland Durham as a possible *

* Nope scrap that one sorry wrong family.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Samuel Carlisle, James Edward, Sarah Ann and Frederick Gray/Grey
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 January 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I'd looked at that marriage as well. Yes, it was very sad.
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 14 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This may be stating the obvious but have you gone through the possibilities;

1) Samuel may well have married very soon after his wife's death, needing someone to look after the children (very common in those days).
2) He may have returned to the Morpeth area with the children (he was looking for work there).
3) He may have "farmed" them out to relatives (James was living with an Uncle later).
4) Could he have left for the colonies.
5) Could he have died and the younger one's placed in "work houses".

etc etc

Good Luck

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 January 14 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard
Thank you for the ideas. I have tried most of them but seem to be going around in circles. I have tried to find other family members who could have taken them but no look so far. Samuel's half-brother, Joseph (my great-grandfather) got married in South Hetton, Co Durham, in July 1895 but he only has his own children with him in 1901. Their mother is living in Haswell and no children there either. Still looking for Isabella's other siblings. Nothing in the colonies so far.
Perhaps I am searching for the wrong children as Sarah and Frederick could have died and the children left were younger siblings.
Pauline

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 January 14 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Going round in circles as well I'm afraid.

There's a death for Samuel Gray in Morpeth 1913 age 52 about the right age for yours. 
He should be around in prev census if only to rule him out.

I see what you mean about the 3 children.  It's possible one or more were born between 1891 and 1895 and any of the previous 2 we can't find had died  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 January 14 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes, I looked at that death but I haven't been able to find him on either the 1901 or the 1911 census yet. I think I need some church records but there's nothing on Family Search for that time period.
Pauline

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 January 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried researching "flu pandemics" in Newcastle in 1895 era.  While I can not find names there do seem to be lots of deaths due to it and it was not uncommon for numerous members of a single family to succumb to itPerhaps hospital record may be a source (don't know how to access them I'm afraid)

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 January 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
It is just possible that Samuel may have staged a walk out and this was enough for a very sick Isabella to take her own life. :'(

Sad stories abound when researching ancestors, but not all our ancestors are heroes and some are real low life's. >:(

The children if under 14years could have been placed in an orphanage and adopted later? ;)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads