Author Topic: Help please with Carr and Freeman - Tockwith  (Read 4121 times)

Offline RayRob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with Carr and Freeman - Tockwith
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 March 17 01:29 GMT (UK) »
 After the death of John Robert Carr, Eliza remarried to James Bruce Lockhart. Children, Jean (Watt ) Margaret (Marshall ), Lillian ( Glenny ), Katherine Grace ( Patterson ). James killed 1st world war. Fred ( deceased ) Charles ( adopted ) Herbet ( illegitimate ) deceased. John Carr, son of John Robert Carr born 30/11/1885 at Mercer New Zealand.

Hi Michelle ,
In which country were the offspring of Eliza and James Bruce Lockhart born ?
I have a Jane /Jean Lockhart born 19 Jan 1900 in Queensland ,Australia

Thanks ,
Ray

Offline Michelle Geraldine Maher Carr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 March 17 03:55 GMT (UK) »
The Carr Family Tockwith.
Carre, no first name given or wife mentioned, child Anne Carre. Father to Wylliam Carre born 1573
 Wylliam Carre born 1573 Tockwith, Bilton Ainsty Yorkshire / England. Married Jenit Lambe.26/10/1593. Jayne Carre Daughter born 05/09/1590 ( Tockwith ). Robert Carr. ( married ) Ruth Wood.15/05/1718 ( Tockwith ). No children recorded. William Carr. ( Agricultural Labourer ) born Cattal married Sarah Freeman 25/11/1817 ( Tockwith ). Sarah Freeman born  ( Ripon ) no birth date. Children, Anne Carr. ( christened ) 23/01/1820 ( Tockwith ). John Carr. ( christened )02/12/1821 ( Tockwith ) Elizabeth Carr ( christened ) 22/02/1824 ( Tockwith ). Jayne Carr ( christened )14/11/1826 ( Tockwith ) Amos William Carr ( christened ) 28/04/1829 ( Tockwith ). Thomas Carr ( christened ) 13/11/1831 ( Tockwith ). Harriet Carr ( christened ) 29/01/1835 ( Tockwith ). Amos William Carr. ( christened ) 28/04/1829. Married. Eliza Brown Burley. ( No marriage date ) Children. John Robert Carr. ( christened ) 28/09/1854 ( Alne ) York in the sub district of Easingwold. John Robert Carr. Married. Eliza Alice Pickup 16/04/1883 at Pokeno New Zealand. Children, James, John, William, Elizabeth, and Annie. After the death of John Robert Carr, Eliza remarried to James Bruce Lockhart. Children, Jean (Watt ) Margaret (Marshall ), Lillian ( Glenny ), Katherine Grace ( Patterson ). James killed 1st world war. Fred ( deceased ) Charles ( adopted ) Herbet ( illegitimate ) deceased. John Carr, son of John Robert Carr born 30/11/1885 at Mercer New Zealand. He is my grandfather. John Carr ( married ) Faith Blick in Wanganui New Zealand in 1915. They had two children, Verdun John Carr and Joan. Verdun John Carr ( married ) Doris Hargreaves in Wanganui New Zealand on the 18/03/1940. Children, John William Carr. born. 05/08/1940. Michelle Geraldine Carr born. 04/09/1941. (me). Robert Graeme Carr born. 21/08/1943. Philip Wayne Carr born. 21/06/1952 at Pahiatua. Other 3 children born in Wanganui. John William Carr ( married ) Robin Barry in Wanganui New Zealand in 1959. Children. John Stephen Carr born. 24/06/1960. Jillian Anne Carr born. 04/10/1961. Craig Warren Carr born. 09/01/1964. Mathew Dean Carr born.22/10/1970. Children to Jillian Anne Carr. Nadine Faith Carr born. 27/07/1984. Jaydon Tumi born. 19/01/1995. Children to Craig Warren Carr. ( twins ) Michael Carr born. 25/10/1983. Paul Carr born.25/10/1983. ( No second names recorded ). Michelle Geraldine Carr (me ) married. Christopher Michael Anthony Maher on the 06/11/1976 in Elwood Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. ( children. Nil ). Robert Graeme Carr. ( unmarried, children. Nil ). Philip Wayne Carr. married. Jan Tasker ( no marriage date recorded ) Children. Jason Carr, no birth date recorded. Ryan Carr adopted. ( no birth date recorded ). Philip Wayne Carr. remarried Yvonne Sammons ( no marriage date recorded, children Nil. Joan Carr, sister to Verdun John Carr, married. Alan Selwyn Webby, Wanganui New Zealand ( no marriage date recorded ) Children. Kaylene Webby, ( no birth date recorded ). Colin Webby. ( no birth date recorded ). Kaylene Webby married. Stephen Town ( no marriage recorded ). Children. Cameron, Samuel and Kate, ( no birth dates recorded ). Information compiled. 14/10/2006. for future generations of this family. By Michelle Geraldine Maher. ( nee Carr ).

Hi Ray, It is highly possible that Jean Watt ( Lockhart ) was born in 1900 in Queensland Australia as well as most of the others relating to the Lockhart side of the family. I distinctly remember my Grandfather John Carr Son of John Robert Carr and Eliza Alice Pickup telling me that the Carrs and the Lockharts spent some time in Queensland before returning to Wanganui in New Zealand. John Carr my Grandfather and his Brother my Uncle William and James Bruce Lockhart worked in the cane fields in Queensland to earning monies before they went back to New Zealand. They left New Zealand to go to Queensland because in that time period jobs were scarce in New Zealand. As far as I am aware all of the Lockhart family members made mention of in my writings are buried in the Aramoho cemetery in Wanganui. I sincerely hope that this information has been of some assistance to you. Kindest Regards Michelle Maher nee Carr.

After the death of John Robert Carr, Eliza remarried to James Bruce Lockhart. Children, Jean (Watt ) Margaret (Marshall ), Lillian ( Glenny ), Katherine Grace ( Patterson ). James killed 1st world war. Fred ( deceased ) Charles ( adopted ) Herbet ( illegitimate ) deceased. John Carr, son of John Robert Carr born 30/11/1885 at Mercer New Zealand.

Hi Michelle ,
In which country were the offspring of Eliza and James Bruce Lockhart born ?
I have a Jane /Jean Lockhart born 19 Jan 1900 in Queensland ,Australia

Thanks ,
Ray

Offline RayRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 March 17 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks , Michelle

I started off by wanting to  learn about Jane Latta Lockhart who married John Watt in New Zealand 1928.
It looks like Jane chose to adopt the middle name Latta off her own bat , maybe after her grandmother
Jane Ann Latta , born Ireland 1830 .
Jane Lattta Watt , maintained that full name for about 30 years , after which she dropped the middle name Latta , and became Jane Watt.
Eventually she became Jean Watt .
Thank you for the information re Queensland , Australia .
In Appreciation,
Ray

Offline Michelle Geraldine Maher Carr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 March 17 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray, the Carrs and Lockharts previously mentioned lived for a time and worked in Gympie in Queensland Australia cutting sugar cane. Interesting about Jean Watt that makes a lot of sense. What is your specific interest in the Lockhart family am personally interested in knowing. Regards Michelle.

Offline RayRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michelle ,

My interest is the challenge of finding a particular person , not necessarily a relative .

In the case of Jane Latta Lockhart, she married a 'Jock' Watt who was in The New Zealand Police .
My late Father mentioned a few of his contemporaries during his NZ Police days , including 'Jock' Watt.

'Jock' Watt was born in Buckie , Banffshire , Scotland .
My Father was born in Mulben , Banffshire  , Scotland.

When service in the police brought the above two together they compared notes and were delighted
to learn that they each came from the same neck of the woods within Scotland.

I had asummed ( wrongly )   that Jock's wife would have been born in Scotland .
She led me a merry chase over the internet , made more difficult by her 'unofficial' middle name
Latta .

Now , as for John 'Jock' Watt's background I do not hold out much hope of finding information.
Pinning down  a  particular Watt-surnamed person in Buckie is difficult , without knowing names of parents ........................

All The Best ,
Ray

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 June 22 12:06 BST (UK) »
The Carr Family Tockwith.
Carre, no first name given or wife mentioned, child Anne Carre. Father to Wylliam Carre born 1573
 Wylliam Carre born 1573 Tockwith, Bilton Ainsty Yorkshire / England. Married Jenit Lambe.26/10/1593. Jayne Carre Daughter born 05/09/1590 ( Tockwith ). Robert Carr. ( married ) Ruth Wood.15/05/1718 ( Tockwith ). No children recorded. William Carr. ( Agricultural Labourer ) born Cattal married Sarah Freeman 25/11/1817 ( Tockwith ). Sarah Freeman born  ( Ripon ) no birth date. Children, Anne Carr. ( christened ) 23/01/1820 ( Tockwith ). John Carr. ( christened )02/12/1821 ( Tockwith ) Elizabeth Carr ( christened ) 22/02/1824 ( Tockwith ). Jayne Carr ( christened )14/11/1826 ( Tockwith ) Amos William Carr ( christened ) 28/04/1829 ( Tockwith ). Thomas Carr ( christened ) 13/11/1831 ( Tockwith ). Harriet Carr ( christened ) 29/01/1835 ( Tockwith ). Amos William Carr. ( christened ) 28/04/1829. Married. Eliza Brown Burley. ( No marriage date ) Children. John Robert Carr. ( christened ) 28/09/1854 ( Alne ) York in the sub district of Easingwold.

The baptism on 28 April 1829 was of a William Carr, not Amos William Carr. He married Mary May d/o Francis May at Moor Monkton on 28 Dec 1854.

Amos (William) Carr was the son of Thomas Carr and Sarah Randerson. Some trees have his baptism date as 3 Oct 1832. I have seen image of PR and it goes straight from 2 Oct to 10th Nov, so maybe a missing record which may turn up on another page out of sequence. It would appear he married Eliza Brown Burley then left her to go to Australia and possibly remarried.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott