Author Topic: Bridget Crawley  (Read 9482 times)

Offline chrisline

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Crawley
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 January 14 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hasta

Thanks for the info. So she was buried at Blackchurch not Black Rock as my Mother in Law remembered.

The info on her parents is very useful.

Chris
Line
Facey
Grainger
Mickleburgh
Hollingum
Crawley
Gibbs
Woffington

Offline bumpydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to come in late on this. As you have discovered, Bridget is nee Newman and 'Mrs. C. Baker' is her sister, Annie Newman, who was married to Charles Baker of Ardbraccan (Michael J (Gerry) Baker's father)

Offline chrisline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Bumpydog

Thanks for the info.
Are you related to the Newman family?

Line
Facey
Grainger
Mickleburgh
Hollingum
Crawley
Gibbs
Woffington

Offline bumpydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 January 15 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Not directly. My partner is the daughter of the late Michael J (Gerry) Baker and Catherine (Doherty)  and her paternal grandmother was Annie Newman (b: 29/12/1892). Annie Newman married Charles Baker. It was Annie's brother, Thomas, who was buried at Blackchurch cemetery in 1942. We are close family friends of some of his grandchildren.

As you probably now know, Bridget's father was James Newman and her mother Mary Flood. You can see their 1901 census sheet for Ongenstown, Ardbraccan here:-

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001123614/

By the time of the 1911 census (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003076541/), she appears to have moved out.

Offline chrisline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 January 15 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Bumpydog that makes your partner the second cousin of my wife. Bridget is her paternal grandmother.
Line
Facey
Grainger
Mickleburgh
Hollingum
Crawley
Gibbs
Woffington

Offline bumpydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 January 15 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Have you done any research on Bridget's parents, James and Mary (Flood)? Short of getting copies of certificates, I am getting conflicting information about dates i.e. was he born in 1851 or 1861 and there is one marriage record from 1873 (ruling out an 1861 DOB) but a record of Wills shows James having died on the 27th Nov 1916 with John (son?) being granted effects.

The 1901/1911 census information doesn't help much as he declared himself to be 50 in 1901 yet 70 in 1911 (which would have meant a DOB of 1841!) and Mary 40/60, and Annie was declared as 8 in 1901 and 17 in 1911 (she was born 19th Dec 1892, so she would have been 18 in April 1911).

One fact/date that does seem correct is their marriage in 1873.

To further confuse, there were other James and Thomas Newmans in the area.

Offline chrisline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 January 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Bumpydog.

I have not really tried to find out any more about Bridget's Parents as I was not sure I was on the right trail. 

Do you live in Meath?

Have you got any pictures of Bridget or her family as my wife does not have any and it would be nice to see what they looked like.

My mother in law met Bridget several times, but she does not have any pictures of her.

Thanks

Line
Facey
Grainger
Mickleburgh
Hollingum
Crawley
Gibbs
Woffington

Offline bumpydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 January 15 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, we live in Meath. I'm beginning to regret widening the scope of this family tree (in particular, the Newmans and Rennicks).

Bridget's older brother, Thomas, had a son, Owen, who was married to Mary (Molly nee Hanley). Molly only passed away in 2012 aged 102 and is buried at Boyerstown Cemetery (headstone photo attached). There are several Newmans buried at Dunderry Cemetery (see attached).

I plan to visit the records office next week to check some certificates, as I'd like to confirm details for James/Mary and, hopefully, their parents.

From my findings, Bridget also had 3 other brothers, James, John and Michael and sisters Annie and Mary. I have sent an email overseas to Molly's son who, allegedly, has information relating to his ancestors.

Offline chrisline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 January 15 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Bumpydog

Thanks for that.

We live in England, Bridget's Son emigrated here in the 1940s and met my mother in law in the early 50s. Bridget and her husband only had two children both sons. One died young and the other was my father in law who died about 20 years ago. So we had no way into my wife's irish family.

It would be good to know what you find out at the record office.

Am I right that Dunderry Cemetery and Black Church Cemetery (where Bridget and Thomas are buried) are two different places? Have you been to Black Church Cemetery?

Chris
Line
Facey
Grainger
Mickleburgh
Hollingum
Crawley
Gibbs
Woffington