Author Topic: 1841 Census Street Name Unclear  (Read 4639 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1841 Census Street Name Unclear
« on: Friday 03 January 14 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am certain/convinced that I have found my 3x gt grandfather George Hill, born Yetholm, Roxburghshiire, Scotland in 1841. However, I can't read the address clearly.

The Census ref is: HO107/821/4A/5/3. His in the township of Cowpen with (I believe its his brother) James Hill & family. As far as I can make out its says: Waterloo, something, Yard or and, Place. Possibly one place name has been overwritten with another? What do you think?

Also the age of Ninian Hill on the census, immediately above George, 10 or 19? I ask because another brother of George's was Ninian b1819 also in Yetholm as was George & was a Shepherd in later life back in Scotland.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Street Name Unclear
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

The address search suggests Waterloo  Hyldryard  Place

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Many thanks for that, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 January 14 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Something a bit odd about that entry. The age of Ninian is put in the female column! The occupation is shepherd, so probably not aged 10..... but that is what is looks like, even blown up as far as it will go.

A female shepherd aged 10 in Cowpen in 1841, not very likely! Take that entry with a pinch of salt.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 January 14 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gen List Lass,

Many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

I hadn't even noticed that Ninian's age was entered in the female column, but your absolutely right, it is! I would agree with your suggestion to take the entry with a pinch of salt. However, as I mentioned in my OP Ninian was a shepherd in later life. So I think that the occupation is correct as he was probably just visiting & the age is the only thing wrong as well as being entered in the wrong column of course! I don't believe in coincidences where family history is concerned, however, as I've already said I do take you point.

Kind regards

David

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 January 14 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I wasn't happy with the name so I've been looking at some old maps and I think that  it's probably Hildyard Place on this map:

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/004891FS.htm

It's just to the NE of Waterloo Place.

Added - On some old maps, that area is referred to as 'Waterloo', which would suggest that the address is written as:

Waterloo
Hildyard Place

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 January 14 10:07 GMT (UK) »
A comment on Ninian which I couldn't work out last night!

I've looked at the image on two different sites (in daylight) and note that there is a small division in the margin (marking a separate household but same house/address) for Ninian and George. The age has been overwritten to a strong 10, but given that Ninian is entered before George, I'd put my money on him/her being older - so 19 or even 20. Again, I would also conjecture that the age has been entered in the wrong column. No proof, of course, just using previous experience of reading census info  :)

Gadget

Added - the only Ninian (variations) Hill, born Scotland, born 1821 +/- 10 in Eng/Wales/Scotland in 1841 is that entry

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 January 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
 Re the street name. There certainly was a Hildyard Street in Blyth. I think it was a place of businesses as far as I remember. Dont know if its still there today,  shall have a snoop around..
    Waterloo Road is one of the main roads into Blyth town centre. all that area was known as Waterloo then..           You do stir the old memory on here!   Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Blyth Street Name Unclear
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 January 14 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget & Dolly,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Gadget, many thanks indeed! I think that you are absolutely right about the address. I'm sure I've seen that map somewhere before, possibly at Blyth Library when I was visiting my late grandmother one year & popped in to the Library whilst I was in town! Also regarding Ninian my thanks also for your help on that as well. I thought that there was a small division mark in the margin before Ninian but wasn't sure.

Dolly, many thanks for looking around, much appreciated. It would be interesting to know whether its still there or not. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it isn't.

I have added the name of the town (Blyth) to the title of this thread as I forgot to do so originally! :-[ So apologies for any confusion caused!

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

David