Author Topic: Baptism lookup request - Edgar Spooner  (Read 2576 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism lookup request - Edgar Spooner
« on: Sunday 05 January 14 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Edgar Spooner, born circa 1815; census entries give place of birth as:

Middlesex (1841) - age 24
London (1851) - age 38
London (1871) - age 58
City of London (1881) - age 68

Father may be Michael Spooner, a tailor.

Many thanks.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism lookup request - Edgar Spooner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 January 14 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Have you got his marriage 11/06/1849 to Elizabeth Escott?

Can't find a baptism so far

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 January 14 15:55 GMT (UK) »
there is also the marriage to Jannet Saunders in 1840 (if you require details) -father Michael Spooner Tailor

there are also banns read in 1847 for marriage to Sarah Vale - can't find actual marriage though

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 January 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a baptism either.  There's a 50 yr old Michael Spooner in the City in 1841. He is a tailor, born in county. Address is Talbot Court, adjacent to Eastcheap.

In 1851 he is 63 b Colchester, Essex; still a tailor at 3 Talbot Court. Likely death in the City in Sep qtr 1853.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys.

I've got the marriage to Jannot Saunders in 1840, producing children Louisa Mary King Spooner (born & died 1841) and Mary Spooner (born 1842).

They are indeed the family in Green Street, St Andrew, Holborn in the 1841 Census HO107 Piece 670 Book/Folio 9/10 page 12

I've got Jannot Spooner dying in 1846 and the marriage to Elizabeth Escott in Clerkenwell in 1849.

I've got them in the 1851 census  at 12 Boswell Court, Saint George the Martyr, Finsbury (HO107 Piece 1513 Folio 137 page 10)

I've got a son Thomas Escott Scott Spooner born in 1857

I've not got Elizabeth Spooner's death yet ... but I have Edgar Spooner marrying for a third time (under the name Edgar Spooner King) to Eliza Wright in Hackney in 1863.

It is not clear why he adopted the "King" in his name ... but it had been used as a middle name for his first daughter, of course; and his son Thomas Escott Scott Spooner also adopted it, but as a middle name not a final name (Thomas King Spooner) and all of his children had King as a final middle name (or possibly hyphenated it to King-Spooner).

I have three further children for Edgar and Eliza (Eve, born about 1867 and possibly the Evelyn F King born in 1866; Adam born in 1870 and John born in 1873).

I have Edgar King, wife Eliza and children Adam and Eve in the 1871 census at Artiller Lane, Bishopsgate (RG10 Piece 416 Folio 19 page 31).

I presume that Eliza died between 1873 and 1881 ... but there are FAR too many Eliza King deaths in London to try to whittle it down to the correct one.

I have Edgar's son Thomas King Spooner marrying on 2 April 1879, his father being identified on the marriage certificate as Edgar King, and his occupation given as Cutter.

Finally, in the 1881 census I have 68 year old widower Edgar King, a Tailor born in the City of London, living at 5 Fanshaw Street Shoreditch with his 8 year old son John King (RG11 Piece 394 Folio 113 page 56).

He's been an absolute NIGHTMARE to figure out ... but I'm nearly there now. All I'm missing is his baptism, his death, and a plausible explanation for the change from Spooner to King, with his son becoming King Spooner (and, doubtless, heaving a great sigh of relief as he dropped the Escott Scott). But ... as with everything else about him ... the baptism and death are proving elusive  ::)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a baptism either.  There's a 50 yr old Michael Spooner in the City in 1841. He is a tailor, born in county. Address is Talbot Court, adjacent to Eastcheap.

In 1851 he is 63 b Colchester, Essex; still a tailor at 3 Talbot Court. Likely death in the City in Sep qtr 1853.

Thanks avm ... yes ... I have that down as the father.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:07 GMT (UK) »
there is also the marriage to Jannet Saunders in 1840 (if you require details) -father Michael Spooner Tailor

there are also banns read in 1847 for marriage to Sarah Vale - can't find actual marriage though

Suz

Ooooh ... thank you Suzard ... I missed those banns. That's between Jannot's death and the marriage to Elizabeth Escott. I wonder what the story is there??

Offline SpoonerJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 12:14 BST (UK) »
He's been an absolute NIGHTMARE to figure out ... but I'm nearly there now. All I'm missing is his baptism, his death, and a plausible explanation for the change from Spooner to King, with his son becoming King Spooner (and, doubtless, heaving a great sigh of relief as he dropped the Escott Scott). But ... as with everything else about him ... the baptism and death are proving elusive  ::)

I know what you mean about tracking Edgar down - I've had similar difficulties! Unfortunately I can't offer anymore info other than you have already, though there is an (unsubstantiated) family story on my branch about King/Spooner. Namely, that following normal conventions the family name should have been King but was dropped for Spooner due to a second marriage somewhere along the line. This probably adds to the confusion rather than helps but thought it might be of interest!

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 March 16 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Mary Spooner daughter of Edgar and Janet Spooner born 30 July 1842 was baptized 4 March 1857 at St James Westminster.