Author Topic: Who did Owen Williams marry first?  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Who did Owen Williams marry first?
« on: Sunday 05 January 14 10:36 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandparents Owen Williams and Margaret Ellis married in Bangor in 1853.
 From that marriage certificate it says that Owen was a widower.  He was from the Parish of Holyhead and she was living in Bangor at the time.
Can anyone help me find his first marriage and when his first wife died?  On this marriage certificate he said that he was a Sawyer and that his father was William Williams, shoemaker.  On my great grandmothers birth certificate it says that he was born in Llandrillo, Denbigshire.
I think I have found him in 1851 in Edmund Street Holyhead with an Elizabeth Williams.  HO107/2522/469 p5
Thanks for taking the time to try to sort my ancestors out
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who did Owen Williams marry first?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 January 14 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There's an Owen Williams a bachelor and a sawyer whose father was William but occupation farmer who married an Elizabeth Lewis of full age, a spinster,whose father was John Lewis who was a sailor, married on 30th Jan 1850 at the Parish Church Holyhead by Banns. The witnesses were Richard Lewis & John Williams all except John were able to write their signatures.

sam

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 January 14 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Theres a burial for an Elizabeth Williams aged 28 on 20 Mar 1852 Angelsey,Holyhead her abode was Millbank.

not right found her at Mill Bank with husband William on 51 census
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 January 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sam Swift and  Isobelruss for your help.  I have to believe that he put the correct information on his marriage certificate but am a bit suspicious of him.  When he came out to Australia he did make his money on the land so I would have expected some experience on the land.  To make matters more confusing his father on his death certificate was Thomas, farmer, but I know how hard it is to get it right.
I would still love to find when his first wife died.
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
Have come back to Owen Williams.  Still have not found him before he married my 2X great grandmother Margaret Ellis.  Thought that rather than starting a new thread would resurrect the old one. 
If anyone can find out anything about him before he arrived in Australia I would be great full.  Once he gets here I have him covered.  ;D
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 17 09:15 BST (UK) »
There's an Owen Williams a bachelor and a sawyer whose father was William but occupation farmer who married an Elizabeth Lewis of full age, a spinster,whose father was John Lewis who was a sailor, married on 30th Jan 1850 at the Parish Church Holyhead by Banns. The witnesses were Richard Lewis & John Williams all except John were able to write their signatures.

An Elizabeth Williams, age 29, died 29 Mar 1853 at Chapel Row, Holyhead. She was the wife of Owen Williams, sawyer. The informant was John Lewis of the same address (no relationship given) who signed by mark. The cause of death was consumption.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 August 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks dragonT that sounds promising.  He didn't hang about though marrying my great great grandmother August 9 th 1853. 
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531