Author Topic: Leeds, St Peters - where are the burials?  (Read 6340 times)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leeds, St Peters - where are the burials?
« on: Sunday 05 January 14 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A lot of my ancesters had burials at Leeds, St Peter in the 1800s. I have read somewhere that the bodies were moved to Holbeck Cemetry while the church was demolished/rebuilt. Could this be true?
I am looking for Cran(n), especially William Crann who was born in 1817 and died in 1838. Also, his father James Crann who died in 1858 and his Grandfather William Cran who died in 1830.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leeds, St Peters - where are the burials?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 January 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »

You might find some info about them on the GENUKI Site:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Leeds/

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 January 14 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot of ancestors in Leeds too, but hadn't heard about any exhumations. I'd heard that the stones were moved, but possibly only to the edge of the churchyard. And by no means everyone would have had a stone anyway.

Anyway, it appears that two of the people you mention weren't buried at St Peter's anyway. The one that was was William (8 Apr 1838): he's in the burial register at Ancestry as a single man aged 20, of Portland Street.

James was buried in Beckett Street Cemetery in Dec 1858 (full details not available online), and the other William at Queen Street Independent Chapel on 24 Mar 1830 (age 83, of Union Row). A 1 year old Elizabeth Crann was also buried at Queen Street in 1830, and there were a lot of other Cran(n)s at Beckett Street.

The source of the two latter burials is Yorkshire Indexers - they have an online database and forum, which is particularly good for Leeds area queries. Someone there might know more about possible exhumations - and I know that members have recently been around St Peter's churchyard trying to photograph and transcribe displaced gravestones. Some of their databases are available to all, and some on payment of a modest subscription.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 January 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that, Arthur - it makes sense as William (my x4 grandfather) attended Queen St Chapel and was, in fact, walking home from there when he dropped dead in the street!
I think Portland Street was the hospital where the other William died.
James was my x3 grandfather. I think I will have to visit Leeds and the cemetry at Beckett Stree as I am a Crann although don't live in Yorkshire and many of the other Cranns you mention are probably also my ancesters.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 January 14 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I think I will have to visit Leeds and the cemetry at Beckett Stree as I am a Crann although don't live in Yorkshire and many of the other Cranns you mention are probably also my ancesters.
I've never made it to Beckett Street myself, but I understand it's pretty huge. In other words, do as much as you can before visiting to find out where your ancestors are buried, and where the different sections of the cemetery are. Some of the Yorkshire Indexers folk know the place well and can give advice on this - and their databases will also help.

The Friends of Beckett Street Cemetery also have a website which gives advice on visiting and locating graves.

Arthur
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 January 14 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arthur,
Thanks for that advice.
Where did you find the information about William who lived on Union Row? I have a copy of a newspaper article about his death and started my family tree from there but I have been unable to find his death on Ancestry. He had 9 sons so I think most of the Cranns in Leeds are descended from him!
Does Queen Street Chapel still exist and if not, what happened to the graves?
I will look at the sites you suggested,
Best Wishes, Heather.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 January 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
The information on William's burial in 1830 came from the Yorkshire Indexers' database, but I haven't been able to work out where the original register is kept. According to the National Index of Parish Registers, the chapel was originally known as White Chapel or Whitehall Chapel, but it is now closed. The birth/baptism registers are at TNA and can be seen at Ancestry, but there's no reference to burial records. I can't find an obvious reference to them in the West Yorkshire Archives catalogue either.

Sorry I'm not much help on this one.

Arthur

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 14:29 GMT (UK) »
In case anyone else is looking into this, Heather and I have both now posted queries on the Yorkshire Indexers forum. Both are about Queen Street Chapel, though asking different questions.

There has been some response at the time of writing this, but there may be more to follow.

Arthur