Author Topic: Glen Andred estate near Groombridge  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glen Andred estate near Groombridge
« on: Wednesday 08 January 14 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello; My inquiry relates to an estate called Glen Andred on West Corseley Road near Groombridge. Glen Andred was a fine home built in 1867 designed by architect Norman Shaw. I am researching the history of this estate and could use some help with a couple of occupants of the estate in the 20th century.

The first is Liet Col Albert Henry Royds(1876-1952). I have all his family information. I have directory records of him at Glen Andred throughout the period of 1927 to 1938. He was in 1930 the president of the Groombridge Horticultural Society. I would like to find out what years he was president with this society and when the last year was that he lived at Glen Andred (he did not die there). This society does not have an email address on their website so could not contact them.

After him Glen Andred was occupied by someone called R.J. Cowan. I have only one item that pertains to him and that is one for 1950 at that place. I would like to get any information you can find out about him; birth/death/marriage/family/occupation etc and range of years he lived at Glen Andren.

I also have from an earlier time a record of occupancy there in 1918 and 1919 of a "Miss Galloway". Anything about her is needed.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Glen Andred estate near Groombridge
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 January 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

RJ Cowan certainly appears in the Telephone Directory at that address for both 1952 and 1953.

I've also found another "Glen Andred" in Lyme Regis, Dorset for auction on 2 Dec 1947 in the Times Archive. Also a Glen Andred stud farm near Northampton. An unusual name, would these have a family connection somewhere?

I'm sure that you're aware of this web page too ... http://www.theweald.org/P2.asp?PId=Gr.GlenAn

Regards

Peter
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 January 14 12:36 GMT (UK) »
For your Miss Galloway I've found an advertisement in the Kent & Sussex Courier of Friday 07 June 1918 asking for...

"Housemaid wanted immediately; young ladies' school - Miss Galloway, Glen Andred, Groombridge"
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 January 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your input.

The Miss Galloway young ladies school in interesting. I shall see what I can find out about the school.

Perhaps more clues will appear later.

Offline Glen Andred

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 16 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

This is for Smokey807, I understand that you have done some research on the Glen Andred Estate, in Groombridge. I have recently moved into one of the properties on what was part of the old estate and was wondering whether you would be able to share any of the history you have found, as I have done some basic research online and found references to the property, but this relates more to the significance of Norman Shaw rather than details of the property and estate. 

Even if you were able to point me in the right direction that would be most helpful.

Thank you

Offline shelley28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
For Smokey807

Re your posts concerning Glen Andred and Groombridge you may still be interested in details of the Miss Galloway who was the principal of the educational establishment which was based there at the end of the first world war. Please see below.

Bertha Maria Galloway

Year      Place                  Source/Comment

1855      Glasgow               Birth registration
1861      Glasgow               Census (scholar)
1871      Leamington Spa               Census (scholar)   
1874 -1875   Newnham College, Cambridge University   Student
1875-1876   St. Leonards, Sussex            Teaching post   
1878-1880   Chester                  Teaching post
1884-1885   Newnham College, Cambridge University   Student
1889      Ayr                  Sister’s wedding   
1891      Brighton               Census (teaching post)
1893-1895   Margate               Head mistress
1897      Margate               Head mistress
1899-1901   Margate               Head mistress
1901      Margate               Census (head mistress)
1903-1906   Margate               Head mistress
1911      Margate               Head mistress            
1914      Margate               Head mistress   
1928      Brighton               Death index

Most of the source material regarding teaching is either from Cambridge University archives or newspaper advertisements for schools. It is believed that at some time she taught in South Africa – possibly in the early or late 1880s. She was unmarried. Further details of the source material can be supplied if of interest. Any information regarding the move to or away from Glen Andred would be of interest to me as would any photographs of the lady in question.

shelley28

Offline Maryjoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 18:30 BST (UK) »
 My family lived at West Glen Andred from 1965. The previous owner were the Royds, but I believe it was there married daughter (Susan?) who possibly was living there with her husband. It didn't sell or meet the asking price at Auction. Quite by chance my father was there and fell in love with property and made an offer that was accepted.
The Royds moved to an estate in Wadhurst.