Author Topic: 1800s 1900ca Barry/Barry IslandBalticTimber Trade years started/ships crew/info  (Read 5169 times)

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How/where would I locate this :    interested in information re: Baltic Ships bringing timber into Barry/ Barry Island Wales
+ ships/ their  crews........any names/pictures    ca 1870 - 1906 . I according to Tom Clemetts book which a Rootschatter mentioned I looked it up and amongst other info saw that a Mission Church  had been started for those mariners on the Baltic Ships.Curious to know  on or what year it started as I have seen 1881 Barry had less than 100 inhabitants. Curious to know if any settled in the area?
The more one digs, the most fascinating things pop up!

I do so very much appreciate your time and energy in answering......

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: 1800s 1900ca Barry/Barry IslandBalticTimber Trade years started/ships crew/info
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
The free Welsh Newspapers Online (part of the National Library of Wales) is a useful resource
http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/home?
If you type 'Barry Dock Mission Church' into the search engine, you will get quite a few newspaper article hits  :)

MarMnkly
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1800s 1900ca Barry/Barry IslandBalticTimber Trade years started/ships crew/info
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I have seen 1881 Barry had less than 100 inhabitants. Curious to know if any settled in the area?

I find this quite amazing, unless it refers to only one part of Barry.    I first went there about 1944 as an 11 year old.    Our close friends were then on Barry Island and the houses appeared to be very old.   But Barry extended for miles from the one time Island - even then was connected by a causeway carrying road and rail - through Barry Town, Barry Dock and most of the way to Cadoxton.    I visited Barry frequently in the years that followed sometimes staying the whole of the summer school holidays.   By then our friends had moved to Barry and then later on to the far top end of the town not far from where our late PM Julia Gillard was to be born.

So yes for the population to have sprung from a mere 100 in 1881 to hundreds of thousands just some 60 years later, there must have been many who settled there.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 January 14 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Consider the impact of building Barry Docks and Coal coming down from the many mines in South Wales. Barry Docks was at one time the biggest exporter of Coal in U.K.
Syljun

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 January 14 19:13 GMT (UK) »
syljun,Malcolm33.....what I was inferring is that at small populations in 1881 etc I thought it would be much easier to find information about people or a mention of them.

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 January 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
thanks MarMnkly for the Welsh Newspapersonline suggestion

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 January 14 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Mona Lisa, The figure given for Barry is roughly correct but the Area that is now known as barry was made up of three Parishes, Cadoxton, Merthyr Dyfan and Barry, Barry having the least population out of the three, Cadoxton the most populated. But with the building of the dock there was a huge influx of people from all over the country and the world, these three parishes then became the town of Barry, ( much to the annoyance of the Cadoxton people) and rightly so, but that's history now, the town grew rapidly to become the largest town in Wales I believe.
But now the docks are empty and the town stagnating due to the lack of work and industry, once the world record holder for shipment of coal in the world, Barry is now struggling to survive! The once famous Barry Island that brought in thousands of visitors is now a shadow of its old self due to foreign holidays and the lack of holiday accommodation in Barry.
It seems the only money spent in Barry now is on building houses instead of trying to bring in new industry and jobs for the people. Street directories & the census will give you an idea how quickly the town grew.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 18:22 GMT (UK) »
trellisick...thank you .....that is very interesting......

Offline bigmagicdog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 January 14 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi trellisick

Could not agree with you more about the state of Barry over the years. As a fellow Barrian I have also seen the town (second largest in Wales) go down. Agree with you about all they seem to do is build more houses. Destroy by not supporting entertainment (cinema and fairground are two good examples) is leaving the old town centre a mecca for takeaways and by pushing everything they can to the Waterfront it is just making money for the port owners. Sorry but I could prattle on all day about this.   
ANDREWS from Pitney, Martock, and surrounding area of Somerset.
ANDREWS from Hartlepool, Co Durham and surrounding districts.
Family Tree is on web site:  http://daveandrews.tribalpages.com/