Author Topic: Isaac Hardy - Anne Everett  (Read 4579 times)

Offline mikehardy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Hardy - Anne Everett
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 January 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I have a Query:

Anne Died 1801 age 59, Anne and Isaac children born: Mary Ann, 1783. Anne - age 41
                                                                                John, 1785, Anne - age 45
                                                                                James, 1789, Anne - age 47
                                                                                Frances, 1791, Anne - age 49

Bearing in mind it is the 1780's was it possible for a Woman to have children at this age?
Also The marriage is given as 1766, thus the first child arrived 17 years after the marriage!

Should I suspect something here?

Mike.

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 January 14 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike
I've just been looking at that!

The only thing linking James (1789) to that Isaac and Ann is the signature on the marriage cert of Isaac (widower) and Elizabeth Watson at Saham Toney.

yokel

Offline mikehardy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 January 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yokel,

I am no historian, but my instincts tell me you don't wait 17 years to have the first child (even in the 1700's) also 'very lucky'! 

Perhaps somebody on here with knowledge would like to comment on child bearing age in the 1700's.

The two Isaac Hardy signatures did match.

Is there another possibility two Isaac/ Ann(e) Hardy families exist in Saham Toney at that time.

I have looked on all the children's baptism records,  all record the parents as Isaac and Anne

Mike.

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 January 14 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Isaac/Ann Hardy had a son Isaac in Thetford in 1769
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0xjr/

Now! I wonder where went and who he married?
need to check if he survived
Sadly he died 1770
There's two more sons for Isaac and Ann
Isaac Joseph bap 1775
John bap 1777

yokel

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 January 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Anne Died 1801 age 59, Anne and Isaac children born: Mary Ann, 1783. Anne - age 41
                                                                                John, 1785, Anne - age 45
                                                                                James, 1789, Anne - age 47
                                                                                Frances, 1791, Anne - age 49
Perhaps somebody on here with knowledge would like to comment on child bearing age in the 1700's.

Help!!

Offline mikehardy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 January 14 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I think we have two Family streams here.  It is all in the female name:

The marriage Isaac Hardy and Ann Everet at St Mary's, Thetford 23rd Nov 1766, their children
Isaac b 1769
William b 1773
Isaac Joseph b 1775
John b 1777

Ties in nicely with the Marriage. Look at the actual register for all these entries then the female Ann spelt as, is evident.  All from the same parish Mary's, Thetford.  But the wrong family line!

Returning to our Isaac and Anne Everett.  I think her death in 1801 Saham Toney is good? and Isaac's death in 1825 Saham Toney is also good

So we have both parents death in Saham Toney and all the children born in Saham Toney.  The register for all baptism's clearly show the mother's name as Anne.

I think the marriage for our Isaac and Anne probably took place in Saham Tony c1780.  All we need to do is find it?  Then we may be able to find the baptism's for both.

Do you agree?

Mike.

Had a look in the Saham Toney registers (marriage) 1780 +- 5 years nothing shows up.

Can anybody suggest parishes local to Saham Toney for a wider search?

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 January 14 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Do you agree?

Sorry to say, No  :-\

The different spellings of Ann/e seem to be down to the local Vicar, in Thetford, looking through the Parish Register all the instances of Ann are spelt that way, in Saham Toney they are all/ most spelt Anne.

When Isaac and Ann were married, Ann made her mark (so therefore couldn’t write), so knowing whether there was an ‘e’ at the end of her name seems unlikely.

As you think the deaths of Isaac and Anne are good, that means they were both born c1740, so a marriage of 1766 is reasonable.

From the Norfolk Mills web site, Isaac Hardy built two mills in Saham in 1784, one of which was taken over by his son Michael in 1802

http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Windmills/saham-hills-towermill.html

Amended:- made slight faux pas (getting past my bedtime) so we need to find a baptism for Michael

But I still think that this is all the same family

Have I persuaded you ;)
yokel

ps
If you are looking for contiguous Parishes try this site
http://maps.familysearch.org/

Offline mikehardy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 January 14 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yokel,  Isaac's link to the milling profession is interesting, and I cannot find another marriage later than 1766 but I am still uneasy with the fact Anne was producing children between the age of 40 and 50 which was unlikely in the 1700's.

As no reply was forthcoming re my query on a woman's ability to give birth in her 40 - 50 age in the 1700's, I placed a similar post on the 'Common Room Board' titled - 'Woman's fertility 1780 - 1790'.  Received some interesting replies which tended to support my view that Ann (Thetford) could not have produced the second batch of children 1783 - 1791.

In my searches I have seen a reference to the child Michael Hardy linked to Isaac Hardy,  will retrace my steps.

Mike.

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 January 14 15:12 GMT (UK) »
ok

Do you think we need to find another James Hardy born c1789?(which is basically what you said earlier)

Had a look at the Beccles PR's today to see if there was any info re James death, but unfortunately not, and they did not have the newspapers that covered that date.

Had a look at East Dereham Mill which states that "East Dereham towermill was built in 1836 by Michael Hardy, a miller & baker and James Hardy, a millwright"

Can't be your James as he died in 1822, so is this James a cousin of Michael or is it a different Michael.

But a Michael Hardy built the mill at Yaxham in 1810, which is the same year and place where James married Sophie Mack.

Wish I could find a Will somewhere

now confused  :-\
yokel