Author Topic: Bedwellty Marriages  (Read 10436 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Bedwellty Marriages
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 January 14 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Deidre and Mabel
Well done and thank you for your persistance; I think you have solved the case.

The census returns can be confusing with the surname, the letter 'o' on the 1911 does look like the letter 'a' hence Trautman.  Its the same throughout the badly burnt service records except for one page printed in large letters which clear records his name as TROTMAN.   his name on the Brithdir memorial is spelt Trotman which also has his rank as Cpl.  On reading through his service papers I have to admit when I saw that he was discharged I automatically thought 'not my man'.  You have both taught me a lesson in detective work, I am greatly grateful for your efforts.
Kind Regards also to everyone who has helped
Roy 
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 January 14 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I too wondered why Herbert was not named on a cenotaph.

That does seem strange doesn't it ???

... I am researching a Cpl G. Trotman

The 'request for discharge documents' on George's service record says he was a Private....
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 January 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
There have been spelling mistakes on War Memorials, it's possible his rank could have been incorrect
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 February 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Wrong brother I know but I spotted this at the library today (the surname jumped off the page at me!).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 February 14 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Deidre
Thank you for this, what newspaper was it in?
Kind Regards, Roy

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 February 14 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy,

Should have said, the South Wales Daily News, October 1915 (can't remember the exact date sorry). The paper included several photos every day, not just some of those killed or wounded, but some showing 4, 5 and even 6 brothers all serving abroad.

Deirdre

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 February 14 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Deirdre
I have used the Merthyr Express and South Wales Echo as they are local newspapers for our area but I have not tried the South Wales Daily News; I will make a point of looking through them next time I'm in Cardiff Library
Thanks for your help, always appreciated.
Kind Regards, Roy

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 February 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy, I'd used the Echo before but there appeared to be lots more photos in the SWDN. Searching the papers is hard on the eyes though isn't it? Only did 4 months (Sept to Dec15) in nearly 4 hours yesterday, and my eyes are still complaining!

The local studies section of the Central library - where the papers are - is likely to be closed soon as part of Cardiff's £50m budget cuts.

Deirdre

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 07 February 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Deirdre
That's sad news, I wasn't aware of that, I had better pop down there on Monday.
I use Cardiff Library regular, we could have been sat next to each other unknowingly
Roy