Author Topic: Help in understanding records - Thomas BARTLEY b1835  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Alirat153

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help in understanding records - Thomas BARTLEY b1835
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roy - very pleased to meet you. I also think First Mate was the highest rank Thomas rose to, having seen some of the documents.  I am about to rush off to work but would love to share what I have, and am fascinated about the info from the Merseyside Maritime museum.  Verbal history in our family said he was a captain, (of a slave ship) but it does appear that was exaggerated.  I will DM you when I get back from work and send my email address.  Kind regards, Alison.
Briggs (UK)
Youdan (UK)
Hutchison (NZ and Scotland)
Davey (NZ)
Daysh (NZ)
Andersen (UK)

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Just in case Thomas Bartley's baptism was not found

Baptism: 10 May 1835 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Thomas Bartley - [Child] of Thomas Bartley & Margaret
    Abode: Cumberland St.
    Baptised by: Richd. Appleton Curate
    Register: Baptism 1834 - 1835, Page 225, Entry 1795
    Source: LDS Film 1656421

Found on Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html

Ray

Offline Bartley Roy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ray. It's Thomas the father that poses the problem. Was his father Francis Bartley or some other Bartley or Barkley? And where and when did he die? In Preston or elsewhere? I suppose it's a question of successfully matching the dates.

Offline Alirat153

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alirat,
I too am trying to nail down Captain Plumb/Bartley as well as his father, also a Thomas, and his grandfather, perhaps called Francis. Was 'Captain' in fact a sobriquet for 'first mate'? Have you seen his portrait on Ancestry? Thomas's son, Thomas Edwin, who was born in 1861, himself became a sailor at the age of 14. At the Merseyside Maritime Museum there is a document dated 1880 referring to TE's transfer to the ship 'The Empire' which states that his father had been washed overboard and gives the father's occupation as that of 'sailor' rather than 'captain'. Have you found anything else about him and what are your family's stories regarding him. All the best, Roy

Hi Roy

I have seen that portrait on ancestry and have attached it to 'my' Thomas Bartley, although I am not convinced that it belongs.  My ancestors around that era were poor folk, not the sort to have a painting done, unless of course he did become a captain - which I have found no evidence of. I haven't paid my sub to ancestry so cannot check at the moment - I will pay again soon.  My Thomas  Bartley/Plumb was married to Esther Cherry (there were a lot of Esther Cherry's at that time) and I have his father as Thomas Bartley married to Margeret Plumb. Margaret was also married to a Thomas Kent and they had a daughter Margaret Kent.  Anyway I will DM you with my email. I haven't had time to spend on this for a while, will get back into it soon.
Briggs (UK)
Youdan (UK)
Hutchison (NZ and Scotland)
Davey (NZ)
Daysh (NZ)
Andersen (UK)