Author Topic: Philip CLEAR famous Veryan headstone but not in burial book + marriage query  (Read 21901 times)

Offline JOOBLES

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A couple of queries please ....

My direct ancestor was a 'Christian soldier' Philip Clear who was buried in Veryan churchyard in May 1829.  It's a 'famous' headstone because it shows all the battles he fought and survived during the Napoleonic wars. The re-enactment society visit his grave every year as a sign of respect  :)  I have his army papers etc. and he was eventually discharged in 1826, 'worn out' and with chronic rheumatism due to all the battles he fought. He was awarded the Waterloo Medal - I'd love to know where that is !  He died in Veryan of 'decline' in 1829 aged 40.

I have looked at the original burial records which are available to view online (Fam.Search) but there is no mention of him on the page. He was buried on 7th May 1829.  The entry IS on FindMyPast and Free BMD and also Fam.Search  so why wasn't it recorded in the actual church burial book ??

Bit of extra info .... he was born in Falmouth in 1788 and was the son of Andrew and Jane. He also had a brother, Andrew, bapt. 1782 in Kenwyn.

Another query .... he spent many years in the West Indies and met an Irish lady (Julia Ann) while on the island of St.Kitts because they baptised a baby girl there (Julia Ann) in 1819. I have her birth certificate... parents Phillip and Julia Ann Clare (mis-spelling). It was in the 5th Regt. of Foot baptisms register. Philip was a Corporal (later became a Sergeant.)  I can't find a marriage of Philip to Julia so I don't know her maiden name. I wonder if she went there to work on the sugar plantations ?

Later, his wife & daughter, both called Julia Ann, must have sailed back to the UK with him at some point... was that allowed ?  He died in 1829 and by 1841 the widowed Julia had remarried (in 1832) her former lodger, John Williams, also an Army pensioner. They are all on the census in 1841 at Treviskey, Veryan. 

I have all the details from then on right down to me !!

Any thoughts on the above points would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

ANDREWS, BROOK(S), CHERRYMAN, CORNFORD, COLEMAN, CUMPER, FISHER,
HARRINGTON, HAYLER, HOUGH, HUTTON, JUPP, KENSETT, ILLMAN, KITE, STOPES,
SPYER, LAKER, MASON, NICHOLSON, ROBERTS, FOX, RODWELL, WRIGHT, LOCKARD,
LONE, SAY, SAYERS, SCOTT, STREETER, THOMAS, KAYES, TREADWELL, USHERWOOD,
CHANDLER, VAUGHAN, WELLER, WELLS, WOOD, SAUNDERS, WREN, HAYWARD, CLEAR

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Philip CLEAR - famous Veryan church headstone but not in burial record book ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 January 14 14:51 GMT (UK) »
From www.Cornwall-OPC-Database.org.uk:

Burial, 7th May 1829, at Veryan
Philip Clear, age 40
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JOOBLES

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Philip CLEAR - famous Veryan church headstone but not in burial record book ?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 January 14 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can find it recorded everywhere but the page in the original register has no entry of it.

I was hoping to print a copy of the original entry.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 January 14 14:54 GMT (UK) »

Another query .... he spent many years in the West Indies and met an Irish lady (Julia Ann) while on the island of St.Kitts because they baptised a baby girl there (Julia Ann) in 1819. I have her birth certificate... parents Phillip and Julia Ann Clare (mis-spelling). It was in the 5th Regt. of Foot baptisms register. Philip was a Corporal (later became a Sergeant.)  I can't find a marriage of Philip to Julia so I don't know her maiden name. I wonder if she went there to work on the sugar plantations ?

Many army regiments were stationed in Ireland.
Perhaps he met, and married, his wife there?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 January 14 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can find it recorded everywhere but the page in the original register has no entry of it.

Perhaps the entry was taken from Bishop's Transcripts?

Offline JOOBLES

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 January 14 14:56 GMT (UK) »
On his Army papers there is no mention of him travelling to Ireland - worth looking into though.
Thankyou.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 January 14 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I would just email the OPC people and ask where the transcript is taken from.  :)

I've transcribed parish records for the OPC site, and was given images of the parish records to work from.

If you search there for just burials Veryan 1829, there are 31 results, and all seem to have been transcribed by the same transcriber(s) so there would seem to be a common source. Are the other names on that list shown in the original records?
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JOOBLES

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 January 14 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I've just emailed the transcriber - it bounced back as delivery failed !

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 January 14 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I would email the OPC organization itself as I said. I've only done it once, to ask that a mistranscribed record in my family be fixed, and got a very prompt reply!

edit - I see, the transcriber is the OPC for Veryan. Tsk!

I've looked up what I did, and I used the "report an error in this record" link on the record in question. You could try that and say you aren't reporting an error you just have a query and can't reach the OPC. That problem oughta be fixed anyhow!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?