Author Topic: Philip CLEAR famous Veryan headstone but not in burial book + marriage query  (Read 21896 times)

Offline KolaKube8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Philip CLEAR famous Veryan headstone but not in burial book + marriage query
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I must admit I have never thought about DNA testing other than perhaps for someone with a medical condition and I'm not really sure of my views with regard to other aspects of testing for "other purposes". I do not have many relatives alive and of the direct male descendants, I have an Uncle in Australia and a male cousin, who I think is somewhere in the Far East. For now I think I will need to see if any other info comes to light or if anyone else reading this has "treaded these boards" and has obtained some helpful information. Regardless of who Thomas' parents truly are, I hope to visit Philip Clear's headstone, sometime,as he appears to have been a remarkable chap.

Offline JOOBLES

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Philip CLEAR famous Veryan headstone but not in burial book + marriage query
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 12:47 GMT (UK) »
His grave is only 20 minutes drive from me so I will happily take you there one day !
ANDREWS, BROOK(S), CHERRYMAN, CORNFORD, COLEMAN, CUMPER, FISHER,
HARRINGTON, HAYLER, HOUGH, HUTTON, JUPP, KENSETT, ILLMAN, KITE, STOPES,
SPYER, LAKER, MASON, NICHOLSON, ROBERTS, FOX, RODWELL, WRIGHT, LOCKARD,
LONE, SAY, SAYERS, SCOTT, STREETER, THOMAS, KAYES, TREADWELL, USHERWOOD,
CHANDLER, VAUGHAN, WELLER, WELLS, WOOD, SAUNDERS, WREN, HAYWARD, CLEAR

Offline KolaKube8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 February 14 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Joobles.
If I find out any other info, I will keep you posted.

Offline JOOBLES

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 February 14 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Ok and I'll do the same from this end.

Offline KolaKube8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 26 January 15 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joobles
I hope you still periodically log in to RootsChat. It seems a long time ago, but I have now evidence that my Great Great Great Grandfather Thomas Clear is definitely the Son of Philip Clear.
Thomas was widowed in February 1865 and himself died in September 1867, therefore it surprised me to discover that he remarried a Mary Anne Julian on 25th September 1865, only 7 months after losing his 1st wife Elizabeth.
The marriage is recorded on the Cornwall OPC database and I ordered a copy of the Marriage certificate . Both state Thomas' Father's name as "Philip Clear" and his rank or profession "Sergeant Major"

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=533579

I know Philip was in fact a Sergeant, but Thomas would only have been 12 when his Father died and may not have been sure of his army rank.
I an really pleased to have found the evidence of my suspected link, but additionally there are many more unanswered questions.
I wonder who Thomas' Mother was ? If Philip married Julia Ann when he was in Ireland around 1814-1815, then she could well be Thomas' Mother ? I wonder if Thomas who was born in Valenciennes Du Nord, France, on 5th April 1817 went to the West Indies or if he was looked after by one of Philip's relatives in Cornwall ?
Thomas is recorded on his Coast Guard papers as being able to write. Does anyone know if the Army provided an education to children of serving personnel at the time ?
Thomas and Elizabeth were both buried in St Anthony in the Roseland. Is there someone you can contact to confirm if a headstone exists for them or do you just look in hope of finding a marked grave ?
Any information would be gratefully received.
It is the bicentenary of the Battle of Waterloo this year and chance has allowed me to be able to add a little more to the story of Philip Clear.

Kind regards

KolaKube8

Offline JOOBLES

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes I'm still here.

I'm pleased you have made some progress. I have to pop out now but will look into your queries and get back to you.

J.

Offline bluegecko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 31 January 16 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if anyone is still following this thread?

My genealogy research has led me to believe that Philip Clear is in my family tree.

My grandfather's mother's birth certificate shows her mother to be Charlotte Ann May.  My great grandmother's parents wedding certificate shows Charlotte Ann's father to be John May, Labourer.

It seems Charlotte Ann's mother might have been Julia Ann Clear who was Philip Clear's daughter who married John May.

My grandfather is from Falmouth Cornwall England.

I'd love to share a correspondence with Joobles, KolaKube8 and anyone else who is interested in this family.

I am also interested in making DNA connections.
(Edited to try and explain better)

Adams [Hertford], Albon [Suffolk], Atwell [Hampshire], Bawden [Cornwall], Bellett [London], Calcott [London], Clear [Cornwall], Colman [Cornwall], Everett [Dorset], Forsyth [Scotland], Gill [Dorset], Hewett [Cornwall], Hill [Cornwall], Jago [Cornwall], Jeans [Dorset], Lane [Dorset], Luxton, Mardell [Hertford], May [Cornwall], Moyce [Hampshire], Mursell [Hampshire], Pascoe [Cornwall], Polglase [Cornwall], Rottman [Holland], Rule [Cornwall], Sewell [Hertford], Smith [Hertford], Tenison [Holland],

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 31 January 16 08:21 GMT (UK) »
The reason that the burial is not shown on Family Search is because the Burials Volumes available only commence in 1829, and apart from the very first entry for a burial on 2 January 1829, (followed by a comment, which I am having trouble reading) the next entry is for the burial of the vicar on 29 September 1829.  There must be another version somewhere, perhaps the BTs.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 31 January 16 08:59 GMT (UK) »
I reckon the first line there is "I can never comply with this"? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)