Author Topic: Parents of William Harries b1817 Pembrokeshire.  (Read 9825 times)

Offline GMCT_archivist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of William Harries b1817 Pembrokeshire.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 September 16 10:12 BST (UK) »
Re: Additional information about Wm and Mary Harries:

I can't answer the original question about the parents, have not located them.
I do have information about their deaths.
William Harries and wife Mary Harries and child Elizabeth all died in 1864 from diptheria. Pretty well wiped out the family.
Sons William James Harries and Henry Thomas Harries were orphaned, and eventually went to live with an uncle and were raised by him.  Don't know how long before orphan status and living with uncle but that might explain any orphanage records.
Sister Mary (aka Polly) was also orphaned but to date have not found addition information about what happened to her.
My source: Oral history from grandmother and great-aunt.  Henry Thomas Harries (mentioned in your original inquiry) was my great-grandfather. My grandmother married Edward William Harries (son of Henry Thomas Harries). The great-aunt was Frances Ruth Harries (daughter of Henry Thomas Harries).  I don't have a lot of Harries information, but sat down with both on several occasions to ask them what they knew/remembered/had been told - and took notes.
My notes from conversation w grandmother and great-aunt state that both parents (Wm and Mary) and 4 children died in 1864 from diptheria - I don't know if there was an outbreak/epidemic at the time.  Have not located death records - if it was widespread perhaps that would explain lack of documentation?  I cannot verify 3 of the 4 children who died - only that the parents and child Elizabeth died, and 3 children survived (orphans William, Mary aka Polly, and Henry). To date, have not found names/dates of any other siblings. 

To date I have not verified the parents of William and Mary - lots of people with same names.
Lots of information in this string, glad I happened across it today, and will study further to hopefully fill in some blanks.
Perhaps this will help some others searching the same family.
Kind regards,
eburdett

Can anyone help me to trace the parents of William Harries b1817 Pembrokeshire.   I believe he was married to someone called Mary.

He had children: William James Harries 1847-1906, who married Harriet Churton 1850-1917.
                        Mary Harries b1852
                        Elizabeth Harries b1858
                        Henry Thomas Harries b1861, who married Frances Myrtle Kinnear b1868 USA
                                                                                      d1944 BC Canada.

According to the documents we hold for this family, at the time of application for admission:

The birth certificate gives the name as Harris.

The death certificates for William Harris (the name on the marriage and death certificates) and Mary Harries (the name on the death certificate) (nee Morgan) give the cause of death as typhus fever (28 Oct 1864) and typhoid fever (5 Oct 1864) respectively

The child's grandfathers were James Harris (farmer) and William Morgan (glover).

The father was a cabinet maker on board a ship sailing from Liverpool.

There was a grandmother, Harriet Harries, who lived at 7 Church Street, New Quay, Carmarthen.

Brother William James Harries (aged 18) lived at 2 Salisbury Street, Everton, Liverpool, employed as a merchant's clerk

Sister Mary (aged 15) was apprenticed to a dress maker in Swansea.

Sister Elizabeth was living with her uncles, Evan Harries (a sculptor) in Carmarthen and James Harris (a grocer) in Narbeth.