Author Topic: Healy Family 1901-1911  (Read 11228 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Healy Family 1901-1911
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 January 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I have been down this road with my own g grandfather who got a months hard labour for similar offence,though its not nice to find my brother found his court case in the Wexford People paper which detailed the whole scenario witnesses ,judge,policeman,children and wife,solicitor etc.
So a gander at the Cork Echo or one of the local papers might reveal something,his children were sent to the nuns in Wexford and his son to Artane Dublin while he was in prison this was in 1900 and he was out by the 1901 census his children remained in the industrial schools till they were 16 as their mother was ill in an infirmary,learnt this from the court case.
What led me to find all this was the fact that his children and wife were missing off the 1901 census at his address but i luckily enough found them under their proper names in the institutions.
Its all part of our history.

Offline nanna556

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 January 14 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dathai, I am sorry to hear that you have been down this road, but glad that you managed to find your g grandfather.
I have the contact details for the Sisters of Mercy who have the records for the industrial schools connected to Cork, as I needed to speak to then about my other g grandparents daughter, so I will be emailing them to see if they have any information.
I never thought of looking for prison records till I received the information through this forum (its never even been in my mind) but looking back on something I was told by an uncle it does make sense.
I will let you know how I get on thank you  :) :) :)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 12 January 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Just to note you have in your first post here listed 7 children born before 1911.not 6.
I also wrote to the nuns and christian brothers re the children found them very helpful as far as possible but a bit cagey under the freedom of information act.

Offline nanna556

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 12 January 14 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dathai, you are right I can not count (lol). When I applied for information I found them very helpful.
They forwarded a copy of the court papers and other information regarding her stay in the school and what she did on her discharge from the school, they also gave me another address connected with the freedom of information of industrial schools, if you want this address let me know and I will post it  :) :)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 12 January 14 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks but as i say have already been down that road,appealed under freedom of information act for more info re what standard of education they received among other things was turned down end of story.
There are a few different ways of searching the prison register but the best way though takes a little longer is to just search under Margaret Healy dont enter anything in residence.I have found this gives better results as sometimes when you enter residence some results are omitted i dont know why.
Going on the addresses that you gave earlier i found results for 1908 and 1909 at James Square
also 1909 Evergreen St and 1913 22 Peter St.

Offline nanna556

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 January 14 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dathai, Thank you for that information re Margaret, I have found them and also 1914 St Peters St, whilst searching I also found 2 for John Healy for 1910 living at Warrens Lane, I have not posted this address before but John  was living in Warrens Lane before he married Margaret (so he may have still had connections there).

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 January 14 13:12 GMT (UK) »
You can view these registers free at National Archives Bishop St Dublin i think, gives description colour of hair eyes,weight also where born etc and you can print them off for a small fee.I think you can also view them at Family Search Libraries the Mormons depending on where you are located judging from what i've seen so far you have your work cut out for you.

Offline nanna556

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 January 14 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi dathai, Yes I definitely have my work cut out, it may take some time to unravel this but hopefully I will get there. I have a cousin who lives in Cork I may ask her to get in touch with the Archivist there to see if she can find get any information, and I may also email Family Search to see if they can assist.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 January 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Best of luck hope this solves your mystery.
Regards Dathai.