Author Topic: PEDIGREES...shud we follow them?  (Read 10259 times)

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PEDIGREES...shud we follow them?
« on: Friday 10 January 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Can someone plz explain why if it is written that it is right, especially with the families of Beddgelert. LLanfrothen etc All these families are interlinked, mistakes are made, trust your gut feeln and check the original registers and follow back through these...just sayin..tis all...

A family I'm researching has a Jane..
The only Jane that I'm happy with (at the moment)is a Jane dau of Evan Isaac b 1724..dau of Evan Isaac Cae Glas Llanfrothen..not noted in any online pedigrees?!! WHY?

I have an Edward JONES marrying a Jane (NO SURNAME UNFORTUNATELY) in 1746 LLanfrothen...so educated guess Jane born C 1725
i then hav a burial date and a bond for EJ for 1782...and noted as of being of PARK..
In the bond is his son John ...meaning probably more than likely that Jane his wife has died...
In 1781 there is an entry of burial for Jane Evans of Park!...cud this be his wife? I thought so..but in every pedigree for this family this date is for the burial of Jane vch Evan, wife of Evan Isaac...with the question of WHY is she of Park...cud she not be the the wife of Edward Jones who died at Park and who had a wife called Jane?!! I wonder!

hope You understand where I'm coming from...so frustratin..just think sometimes pedigrees put you off..but marvelous things..hope someone in authority can shed some light..

cofion
Aled

Offline mohican

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PEDIGREES...shud we follow them?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 14 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I don't know which particular online pedigrees you are referring to, but I would suggest that you need not trust any of them unless they are properly sourced. If they are, you can check the sources and see if you think the pedigrees are right. The printed word is not infallible just because it is printed, whether in a book or on a web-site - if "printing" is an allowable word in that context! I have seen a number of trees on a well-known subscription site which are demonstrably wrong in some details.

As for the difficulties of your area, it is just as bad in Glamorgan, as I well know, my mother being from the Rhondda! You sre not alone.
Sparrow, Lewis

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 14 09:30 GMT (UK) »
If PARK was an area rather than a house then there could be a lot of people living and dying there.   I would have assumed that Mrs Jones would be buried under that name - not Evans.   Women are often not mentioned in legal documents if there is an adult male in the house so you cannot be sure she is dead by the time of the bond.
Have you looked at other parish register entries for that time to see if Park is mentioned?   If you can see baptisms as well as burials it is more likely to be a hamlet or small village.

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
In all my research pre 1800's all the wives went to their graves with their given name, the patronym, and on every bond that I have read re my family, if the wife is still alive then it is she who has signed...
I am well aware of the history of Park as I am a descendent through the well documented family of Anwyl..I just don't understand how every pedigree for Evan Isaac of Cae Glas LLanfrothen does not mention a daughter Jane...so be it it seems!!! She may not be mine, further research is needed I know, but she did exist is my point!

It could also be that the Park noted in the burials is that of the Gatehouse Park, where Edward and Jane's son Evan Edward lived and died...

regards
Aled

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 January 14 13:04 GMT (UK) »
this is interesting have you seen it ?

Isaac, Evan, Cae Glas, Llanfrothen, Merioneth, Gent 
Evan Isaac : will, 1755. 
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/759025
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 January 14 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes it just takes one person to publish a tree online, errors and all, and others copy the incorrect information - so it is duplicated over and over ...

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 January 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
The Older pedigrees are often the only source of information, so in my opinion we have little choice to follow them until they can be proved wrong. Modern pedigrees posted on Family Search should not be followed unless they are properly sourced,
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 January 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
If in doubt...leave it out...online trees can see you barking up the wrong tree...if there isn't a reliable source to check...I wouldn't use the information without further research. I have seen one of my lines on an online tree with Children attached to the wrong parents..easily done when there is a George, John and William in every generation as far back as 1786  ??? The tree in question has the Children of George from two different generations linked as one...result...the Mother had 14 the last one when she was 64 ???

A message to the author hasn't been heeded.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 January 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY