Author Topic: Buying a new TV set - deaf person  (Read 1506 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Buying a new TV set - deaf person
« on: Saturday 11 January 14 05:57 GMT (UK) »
OH is planning to buy a new TV set as the old one is dying.  The one he likes has a an USB connection and 2 HDMI connections.  He is not too sure whether the latter connections are worthwhile.  OH is also very deaf and loves his old TV as he can hear most things with  wireless head phones. (OH is also a technophobe)

Would I be right in advising him (I have googled the HDMI stuff) that through my ipad (and our desktop computers with wireless connection) he could hear/watch more content such as music - youtube ?  We do have poor internet connection from time to time because of geography.

I'm keen as although my hearing is OK, my eyesight is poor.  We make a good pair.  Thanks, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new TV set - deaf person
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 January 14 09:58 GMT (UK) »
The idea of having a HDMI connection is for the connection of a DVD/other sources of TV ie digibox/Sky etc. [A digital signal]
The old way of connection via a scart connection is on the way out. [An analogue signal]
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 January 14 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information. Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 January 14 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Gazania,

Can I ask how your OH listens through wireless headphones on your old TV?  I don't know how they work with a TV.  The wireless headphones must be communicating with something in or attached to the TV or separate sound equipment...

Most TV's have a phono jack for headphones.  USB connections are usually for plugging in external drives so that you can watch saved programs or films... Becareful if its a Sony tv though as they have 2 usb connections  1, to plug in a hard drive and playback your already saved films etc from other sources. 2, to plug in a hard drive or large usb stick to be registered and formatted by Sony so that you can save programs that are being aired... note you will not be able to copy the program or view it on other sources! The drive will also have been wiped so that it isn't recognised by any other TV or PC!  Reformatting is the only way to get the drive back into normal us ::)

HDMI connections are as Brian mentioned, to connected to other peripheral equipment such as DVD, Sound surround, Sky etc.  It is advisable to have as many HDMI connections as old SCART connections are rather obsolete these days.

Buying a new TV, can have a knock on effect with all your old equipment not being compatible because of the cable connections not being available! just like when upgrading a PC.. very frustrating and hard on the wallet!

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 January 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Be also aware that the sound quality on some of the 'flat screen' TV sets are rubbish!
So budget for a second set of wireless headphones, better still fit a soundbar.
(The speakers fitted into a flatscreen TV are much smaller than a CRT TV, sound at times very tinny)
The soundbar brings out the richness of any music, the spoken word is much improved.
Prior to purchase look at the features you may require, even search on the web.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 January 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
The Royal National Institute for Deaf People have this site
http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/shop/products-to-help-hear-tv-and-music.aspx

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 January 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Be also aware that the sound quality on some of the 'flat screen' TV sets are rubbish!

Some! most and it varies between programs!

My hearing has deteriorated rapidly over the last 2 years, so I can empathise with the problem.  I wear hearing aids when I really have to wear them.. but I hate them, I prefer silence or should I say ringing noises!  Hence I don't watch much tv these days unless I'm on my own and can turn the tv up to an acceptable level for me  ;D  My OH is the one with poor eyesight.. what a pair we make.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 January 14 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your helpful replies.

Firstly, OH 's headphones (after much trial & error & expense) are Sennhieser, stereo & expensive.  A unit plugs into the TV while the headphones "pickup' the signals from the unit.  OH is free to roam around the house and even water the garden while listening to the TV. The headphones do not cut off the sound to the rest of us.  It is his favourite device and he recommends it to anyone with a hearing loss.  I sometimes use it - beautiful sound - with the TV sound turned down while the rest of the family sleep.  So with any new TV set he buys, he will be testing to see if these headphones work as well.

Our "old" TV was one of the first digital on the market at the time but our local TV digital reception has changed etc.  Having a good TV/ headphone system is vital for my OH despite some of the program content being rubbish.

I think we shall be waiting for our son, who has a bit of tech knowledge, to advise us.  Best wishes, Gazania

PS My mother was profoundly deaf all her adult life. When TV came, my father learned how to hook up a coil (primitive length of wires at that time) from the TV set to her hearing aid.  The TV became her hearing world and she & Dad travelled through the UK & Europe for 2 years and he was able to hook her up to every TV set.
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey