Author Topic: Looking for information on Andrew GORMAN & Catherine BRANNAN 1866  (Read 9510 times)

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on Andrew GORMAN & Catherine BRANNAN 1866
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 19:44 BST (UK) »
Its a year ago Jim, but I promise to do it tomorrow.
JK.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON ANDREW GORMAN & CATHERINE BRANNAN 1866
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 10:11 BST (UK) »
CENSUS 1891: 41 Airdriehill Sq, New Monkland, Lamarkshire (in the Airdrie district) Ref:  651/1, ED 53, HS 41

Just a wee bit of interpretation from the quoted transcript, which has actually scrambled the information.

The county is the largest unit. This is Lanarkshire, or the County of Lanark. (In Scotland we don't use 'Lanarkshire Co' or 'Co Lanarkshire')
Then comes the parish. In this case the parish of New Monkland.
Then comes the town, in this case Airdrie.
So the full address of this household would be 41 Airdriehill Square, Airdrie, New Monkland, Lanarkshire, and not the other way about as implied by the transcription.

651 is the number assigned to the parish of New Monkland. In some record sets New Monkland is subdivided into the burgh (not district) of Airdrie (651/1) and the landward (rural) areas that make up the rest of the parish (651/2).
53 is the number of the enumeration district (ED) within the parish of New Monkland.
41 is the Household Schedule number. This means that it is the 41st house listed in ED53 in 1891. It is not the street number of the house.

If I were you I would look at the original of this entry on the SP web site to make sure that the house number genuinely is listed as No 41 as well as the household schedule being 41.

The SP index contains the parish number, ED number and page. It does not list the household schedule number.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
I'm sure everything you say may be relevant, but in the case of Airdriehill Square I used to pass the place every day going to school and have a printed record of the Houses & Tenants dated 1936.
Front Row is numbered from 1 to 16, Top Row is numbered from 17 to 26, Back Row is numbered from 27 to 39 and Bottom Row is numbered from 40 to 49. There are Gorman families listed as occupying numbers.....20 - 28 - 46. The Brady Families were in numbers 25 and 37.

James Kerr.

Offline marran

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 July 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Lori,
I have only just discovered this site so I think I am a bit late to the conversation The Andrew Gorman you are trying to find out sbout  is my great grandfather on my maternal grandmother's side.
My maternal grandfather was the James Coyle you mention.
The family were indeed from Whiterigg near Airdrie. I believe Andrew was a coal miner and that the family originally came from Ireland. Sadly my mum died  so it is hard to find out more, but her sister, Andrew's grandaughter, is still alive and lives in Spain. If there is anything else I can help you with just ask.
Angela

Offline Lori Brady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding Angela,

I think your Aunt in Spain maybe  Margret Coyle. She is my Mom's cousin. Her granny Margaret Robertson Coyle was my Great- Granny Helen nee  Robertson Coyle Murdoch's sister and my Mom Agnes Vallely nee Brady's Grandmother and her (Mother's Agnes Coyle Valley) Mom. I have been in contact with Margaret for a few years now online. She has been very helpful with family information. The Gorman connection is interesting as my Dad's Great Aunt Elizabeth Brady married William Gorman and they had a son Andrew whom married Catherine Brannan. Their daughter Catherine Gorman married James Coyle whom died in 1977. So indirectly my dad is connected to the Coyle's. I have been trying to figure out if there are any old photo's of the senior members or a marriage certificate with the dates on it for the older Gorman/Brady side. I have been trying to get a lot of information as of late as senior family members are passing on or have been ill and cannot help with the genealogy now. If you can help with any thing can you respond back. :) I can give you some back ground to Elizabeth Brady's family if you don't have it. Cheers, Lorraine In Canada x