Author Topic: Callander - MacEwen's Buildings 1893  (Read 9618 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Callander - MacEwen's Buildings 1893
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 January 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
"Walked" Main Street, Callander on Streetview checking on the off chance that one of the buildings might be inscribed "Macewen Buildings - no such luck (but can now tell you where Struan House is!!).

D & J Macewen advertised extensively regarding the letting of property eg The Glasgow Herald, May 1890 -

"Callandar - Furnished houses and Lodgings - Information given free by D & J Macewen & Co, family grocers" They also advertised specific properties as agents.

Wondered if they leased part of their business premises in Callandar as family accommodation??

Can find James on the '91 Census on FindMyPast but their address search facility does not extend to Scottish addresses.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 January 14 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I suspected that would be the case regarding being unable to search Scottish addresses.

Is there a local library or local history group who may have access to or knowledge of the local records and perhaps be able to find the location of MacEwan's Buidlings?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 January 14 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I haven't viewed Valuation Rolls for this area/year so not sure what else may be included on the page/image to help with location of MacEwan's Buildings.

There are two entries showing on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk on the 1895 Valuation Rolls in Callander with the place ref of 'mcewans'. I haven't viewed the entries so don't know what surname(s) are showing there (but they are not M*Ew*n* or Ste*).

a/try won't help for 1891. Their transcript of 1891 shows a big McEwen household in Callander headed up by a Daniel McEwen, whose occupation is given as Grocer Leed Grain Swoolmerdant (grocer seed grain and wool merchant?!) with the family living at Leng The Kraesalt...can't even begin to guess with that one can we  ::)

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 January 14 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Had seen various references to "Macewen, The Krausult" in both Scottish PO Directories and newspapers on line.

Did wonder whether Scottish Trade directories - NOT available on line - at NLS might be worth checking out. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 January 14 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi hanes teulu

Did see this one for 1886-87 http://www.archive.org/stream/stirlingshirebur188687dun#page/152/mode/2up  The NLS PO directories for these areas are pretty much trade directories aren't they. Unlinke Glasgow and Edinburgh, for example, where you could find just standard residential addresses, these one are pretty much for local notaries and trade.

Learnt from the first page for Callander that Daniel McEwen was also the postmaster...busy man!

Also, the ref that you have found to "Macewen, The Krausult" was the name of a property? 1881 shows the McEwens at Kraesult Villa in Callander.

Monica   :)

PS: Brina, sorry, this so far doesn't help further as to where exactly the MacEwen's Building in Callander was....

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 January 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Re Directories - noticed in the NLS catalogue that the Trade Directories were listed separately to PO Directories. PO Directories included a link to an on line site - no such link for Trade Directories.

Had seen many references to "The Kraesult" eg.
 -
"At the Kraesult, Callander, on the 1st inst, aged 14 1/2 months, Maggie Auld, youngest child of Daniel MacEwen" (Dundee Courier 21 Dec 1883")

which pointed to a property rather than a "place".

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 January 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
That all makes good sense, hanes teulu. I think we are just missing the very detailed map for Callander for this period, Main Street most likely. You know what the Glasgow and Edinburgh maps are like for the detail for this type for property search. I think, online, Callander is much too small (under 2,300 people living there in 1891) to get the detail here that Brina needs.

Likely www.burnsmonumentcentre.co.uk/20/archives_family_and_local_history/ would be able to help with maps etc but these would be searches done at the centre. Maybe an email request could help?

Monica

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 13:37 GMT (UK) »
You have all seen very kind, many thanks.   I was just curious to find out where MacEwens Buildings are/were in Callander.  I hoped that someone local might know.   I think you are correct Monica in that Callander was just too small at that time for detailed maps, although the town I live in did.   James was a gardener and died when he was only 57.   It may mean nothing but I was interested to note that his daughter Susan did not get married until after he died, she was always recorded as Help at Home.   I have only today managed to find out that she married and when she died.

James's wife Susan also, died in 1912 at Kincardine.   James's occupation as a gardener might have meant that he workeda s a gardener for a big house in the area or maybe just a market garden.   Might find out one day.

Thanks again.

Brina :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Brina, I may not have worded it well  ;) There will very likely be old maps for Callander, just not available to view easily online like some of the major Scottish cities. You could make an email enquiry to follow up at the Burns Monument Centre on the link above. I am sure that the archives there will have access to historical maps for the local areas.

Monica