Author Topic: srarching the registry of deeds  (Read 2797 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: srarching the registry of deeds
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
The deeds memorial Wills index books are separate from the normal deeds index books kept at Wakefield deeds registers at the new Wakefield (WYAS) history centre (Near Kirkgate rail station)

Though I've found the info in these Will deeds are only an extract copy section concerning property in a full Will held at Borthwick in the original Will bundle (copy of original Will/bundle was £10 including postage)

Separate probate records of a Will also held at Borthwick may hold more/further info.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Maggie J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi dodfarm, I found the memorial in the normal deeds index book at Wakefield. I wasn't aware of a separate deeds memorial wills index book there. I spoke to the staff at the time about where to proceed to search for the will and they suggested the Borthwick at York. They  did a basic search but only found the 1804 one which was Joseph husband of Margaret. I have also searched on line through ancestry but not found anything.
I had not heard of a probate bundle and BushInn has also told me that these are not always in alphabetical order and that you have to go backwards and forward when searching so am planning to contact the Borthwick again and probably order one of these and do a search myself.
Thank you again. I have learnt a lot through all these posts.
Maggie

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I know, from Wakefield register of deeds, that my ancestor John Tatham registered a memorial to his father, Joseph Tatham’s will in 1806, and that they lived at Withens at Cold Edge in Warley, Halifax, but I cannot find the will.

Hi Maggie

A paid search I had done at Wakefield to try and trace a property forward 70 years, led to a Deed Memorial registration, with reference to a Will, but the Will referred to, doesn't exist in a Will Probate Calendar.

The mention of the Will in the Deed Memorial book, indicating the farm has passed from the late Joseph Tatham and then, Son John Tatham had signed representing the Executors. Then possibly there will be a Deed Memorial Registration of when Joseph Tatham first acquired the farm?

With reference to going backwards and forwards searching, I was specifically refering to those Probate Calendars under YORK, held at TNA, Kew, which you can download from the links.

Mark

Offline Maggie J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Mark,
I have searched for Joseph's acquisition of Withens farm as far as 1770 but could not find it - I think  there is more searching to do if I can't find a will.
The farm is described as freehold in the memorial to the will so I think there must be a record of him either buying it or inheriting it somewhere, and I hope this will give some indication of his age and origins.
Thank you for the tip about the tip about the probate calendars.