Author Topic: Hugh Porter of Londonderry who migrated to Washington County, Pennsylvania  (Read 3746 times)

Offline anjoro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Porter, born in 1765 in Londonderry, Ireland, married Jane Wilkin in 1790. Their children were Archibald, Margaret, Rebecca, Hugh, and Nancy. Jane's parents were Archibald Wilkin [1737-1799] and Ann Duncan [1737-]. Archibald Porter's son, Andrew Paxton Porter, is my closest FTDNA connection. He was born in Guernsey County, Ohio in 1819. I believe, but have not documented proof, that his brother, Hugh, migrated to Grayson County, Virginia prior to 1770 and had a son named James. This James married Susannah Elizabeth Keith in about 1797. Their children were Alexander, William, James, George, and Elizabeth. If anyone has any information about Hugh, Archibald or any of their descendants, please let me know. 

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Porter of Londonderry who migrated to Washington County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 14 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Irish records are very sparse for the period you are looking at. Also Londonderry could be the city or the county. The only records would be church records where these exist. To try and find Hugh or Archibald we would need to know the religion and an accurate location.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline retropfrank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Unfortunately, I have no historical documents that pertain to Hugh Porter in Londonderry other than information contained in wills probated in Pennsylvania. My hope is that there are still Porters living in Londonderry or elsewhere that are familiar with Hugh Porter and his son Archibald. It would not surprise me, however, to find out that most if not all of that family migrated to the states. I am trying to learn the identity of my earliest know ancestor, James Porter [1781-1830] who married Susannah Elizabeth Keith in Grayson County, Virginia in about 1798. Somehow, James is related to Archibald Porter of Washington County, Pennsylvania. I appreciate your response to my post and can only hope that someone will have a piece of information to help me.

Offline retropfrank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I have found that Jane Wilkin, wife of Hugh Porter, was born in 1768 in County Antrim, Ulster, Ireland. Her parents were Archibald Wilkin [1737-1799] and Ann Duncan [1737-].  Any help in identifying Hugh Porter will be greatly appreciated.

Offline rwilkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 November 17 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Archibald Wilkin is my direct ancestor. I have some information on the Porters. I will look to see what I have and get back to you soon. I believe they ended up near Cadiz, Ohio. In the early 1800s.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 November 17 09:26 GMT (UK) »
To put the search for Porters into numerical perspective, the 1831 census for Co. Londonderry has 52 Porter households spread across the county. Most were Presbyterian (so Scottish origins).

There are plenty of Porter households in the county today but few would know their ancestors back to the 1700s.
Elwyn

Offline lkastner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 01:47 BST (UK) »
Do you have the Henderson, Neville, Berry names in with your Porter people? These names in my family, and residing Washington Co PA.  If yes, I could send you what info I have. My Porters seem to be coming from Donegal then to America.    thanks, lakastner   4/4/2022
USA: (Pennsylvania,Ohio, Maryland,other states) Boyd,Clancey,Clancy,Dalton,Henry,Heiser,Houston, Henderson,Justice,Little,Marshall,Miller,Porter,Scott,Urie, Zediker/Zediker & associated families of any of these.

Scotland:(Lanarkshire,Angus,Ayrshire) Anderson,Fairlie,Fairley,Fleming,Gordon,Hanton,Hunter, Logan,McLay(Ireland),Orr,Paxton,Reid,Sands,Stewart, Waters, & any associated families

England: Bland, Darwin,Dalton(? Lancashire), Dalton ended up in Ashland Co, Ohio

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 02:43 BST (UK) »
Ikastner - I have several Porters in my Donegal McClure data base. If you can come up with some first names and townslands I will check for you. Porters are pretty thick on the ground in Counties Donegal & Londonderry - still.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.