Author Topic: The Field Family of Tunbridge Wells and South Africa  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Field Family of Tunbridge Wells and South Africa
« on: Monday 13 January 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Im researching the Theophilus Dymond Field family and could use some assistance filling in the gaps from my research.

The central figure is  Theophilus Dymond Field, born 1874 in Tunbridge Wells. His parents were Theophilus Dymond Field (born 1837 T. Wells ; an organist; died 1882 T. Wells) and Sarah Ann Brown Field born 1840 Cambridgeshire and who survived her husband. I have the 1891 and 1901 census for this family and Theo is given as a professional music singer. I have all the information I need about his siblings and his mother. I have also the 1881 census for him and both his parents and siblings at 43 Crescent Rd. T. Wells. A website called South Africa History Onlne picks up the storey about Theo junior after he emigrated to Cape town South Africa sometime after 1901 (he is not in the 1911 census) and I have contacted others in south Africa for more information. He became a well known artist (painter) and died in S.A about 1934.

I would like to find out more about the family in Tunbridge Wells. For example more details about Theo's career as a singer in T. Wells; and more information about his fathers career as an organist. I uinderstand Theo senior was the organist at Christ Church on High Street but I would think that this was just something he did during church services. He lists his career as organist so must have been more of a profession organist giving performances to earn a living and like some other organists might have composed some music for the organ. Any details about this is what I am after.

Going back another generation we have Theo's grandfather, also called Theophilus Dymond Field (1790-1872 who's wife was Eliza Dunn(born 1810) the sister of Mary Dunn(b1802). Don't know who their parents were? Don't know who parents of Theo 1790 were? I know that Theo 1790 had three children namely Theo (b1837) Charles(b1839) and Eliza Mary(b1842). All of them born in t. Wells. What can you tell me about Charles (b1839)?

Any help appreciated.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Field Family of Tunbridge Wells and South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 14 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Im researching the Theophilus Dymond Field family and could use some assistance filling in the gaps from my research.

The central figure is  Theophilus Dymond Field, born 1874 in Tunbridge Wells.

I'll post in sections

First - Theophilus  was born 1873 -not 1874
Birth reg FreeBMD
Theophilus Dymond Field Dec qtr 1873 Tonbridge 2a 572

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 14 19:07 GMT (UK) »

Going back another generation we have Theo's grandfather, also called Theophilus Dymond Field (1790-1872 who's wife was Eliza Dunn(born 1810) the sister of Mary Dunn(b1802). Don't know who their parents were? Don't know who parents of Theo 1790 were? I know that Theo 1790 had three children namely Theo (b1837) Charles(b1839) and Eliza Mary(b1842). All of them born in t. Wells. What can you tell me about Charles (b1839)?

Any help appreciated.

There was no Theophilus Dymond Field b 1790 - he was born 1791
Baptism
St Magnus the Martyr London
Theophilus Dymond Field the son of Theophilus Dymond & Sarah Field
Born 28 Sept 1791
Baptized 26 Oct 1791
This is not the Theophilus who married Eliza Dunn
I haven't found a burial record yet but I suspect he died in infancy - then his parents had another son in 1793 and gave him the same name
Baptism
St Magnus The Martyr London
Theophilus Dymond Field son of Theophilus Dymond & Sarah Field
born 9 August 1793
Baptised 28 Sept 1793

If you look at Theophilus death reg on freeBMD in 1872 his y.o.b. is given as c. 1793

This looks like Charles Field's 2nd? marriage?
Brixton St Paul
Marriage by Licence 10 Sept 1883
Charles Field 39 widower Occ Clerk address 6 Li?d?n Rd Clapham S.W. father: Theophilus Dymond Field occupation Gent
Alice Fairbrother spinster address 16 Cottage Grove Stockwell S.W. father Rowland Fairbrother occ Timber merchant
witnesses James John Fairbrother & Georgina Fairbrother
all signed
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the very useful information.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
afew newspaper "snippets" -which may help "put flesh on the bones"

Sussex Advertise
Tunbridge Wells
24 May 1859
"The Royal Parade Band Committee held its annual meeting ............Mr Theophilus Field of Bedford was reelected treasurer"

Sussex Advertiser 8 May 1866
"A concert was given in the Christ Church Girls School Room......Miss Haoward sang "The Bird & the Maiden" and was accompanied by Mr Theophilus Field with his English concertina.......... Mr Theophilus Field accompanied by Miss Field was vociferously redemanded in his English Concertina Solo "Reminiscences of Somnambula"........ Mr Theophilus Field organist of Christ Church officiated as Conductor"

Suz

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 13:57 GMT (UK) »
The eldest Theophilus in the direct line (b 1793) was an Artist by the time of his death on 19 June 1872. His estate of under £300 was administered by "Theophilus Dymond Field of Tunbridge Wells Music Master the Son and one of the Next of Kin". (The description of him as "the Son" may indicate that his brother Charles was no longer living).

Theo snr's wife was Eliza Dann (rather than Dunn) on their marriage at Tonbridge, 20 Mar 1836, and her sister Mary was Mary Dann b abt 1800-1802 Wadhurst Sussex when she was with them in 1851 & 1861.  She may have died in Tonbridge reg district in 1869 aged 69, also as Mary Dann.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 15:38 GMT (UK) »
The eldest Theophilus in the direct line (b 1793) was an Artist by the time of his death on 19 June 1872. His estate of under £300 was administered by "Theophilus Dymond Field of Tunbridge Wells Music Master the Son and one of the Next of Kin". (The description of him as "the Son" may indicate that his brother Charles was no longer living).

Charles was still living in 1883 at the time of his marriage (as a widower)
As the probate names Theophilus as " the Son and ONE of the next of Kin"  I think this indicates that more than one child was living

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 16:07 GMT (UK) »
this looks like Charles' first marriage?
Parish registers
Page 161 Entry 321
St Stephens Paddington
19 Feb 1868
Charles Filed full age Bachelor Warehouseman 75 Hereford Rd father Theophilus Dymond Field Gentleman
Emma Louise Barrett full age Spinster  Parish of St Clement Danes Strand father Aaron Barrett occ Builder
witnesses John William Cunans? Mary Elizabeth Cunans?

all signed

25 Loughboro Park Brixton Surrey
Charles Field Head M 30 Warehouseman Tunbridge Wells
Emma wife 23 Tunbrisge WQells
Charles son 2 Tottenham
Arthur son 4mths Tottenham
Rosa Joyce servant 19 Domestic Servant Tottenham
RG10 685 60 5
1881 5 Linom? Rd Brixton Lambeth
Charles Field Head widower 41 Clerk in Manchester Works Tunbridge Wells
Charles B son 12 scholar Twickenham Middlesex
Arthur D son 10 scholar Twickenham
Harry J son 8 Lambeth
Emma M L daughter 6 Lambeth
Fanny Pekie U 40 Housekeeper Wanstead Essex
RG11 625 23 39
and after remarriage
3 Linom? Rd Brixton Lambeth
Charles Field Head M 50 Day Goods Warehouseman shop Tonbridge Wells
Alice wife 29 Wandsworth Surrey
Emma M L daughter 15 Loughboro Surrey
RG12 408 83 43

Suz

Offline burtieb26

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I think I have a cottage that one of your ancestors made, Theophilus D Field!  It is a small wooden cottage and is marked TD Field 2 Bedford Terrace 1843.  It also has the name Theof Field written on in 1836.  Not sure if it is a connection or not. If you would like to see pics let me know.  I could attach them here as too big.