Author Topic: UK Parish Records Lookup prior to 1840 for Richard Hill, born 1810 in Yorkshire  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Beatles78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone who has access to records in the UK would be willing to do a parish search for me.

I'm trying to find parish records for my GGGGrandfather, Richard Hill, born 3/11/1810 (date is on gravestone or could be 1811) in Yorkshire area of England (no city given). We know that he was an apprentice to a butcher at some point in the London area.  We also know that he immigrated (either to Canada or the US directly) sometime before 1843 as he was married in Indiana on 1/7/1843.  Marriage announcement only gives bride's name (Sarah Ann Chapman who was born in Ohio) and who it was performed by.  His death record doesn't list the parents names.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Stephanie Hill

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: UK Parish Records Lookup prior to 1840 for Richard Hill, born 1810 in Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome, could you clarify his date of birth please, in the UK dates are written day, month, year so 3/11/1810 is read as 3rd November 1810 but if the gravestone is in the USA then presumably it means 11th March 1810

Andy

Offline Beatles78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: UK Parish Records Lookup prior to 1840 for Richard Hill, born 1810 in Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Thanks for your reply.  According to his gravestone in the US, it's March 11, 1810. (assuming that is correct).

Thank you!
Stephanie

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Beatles78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 16 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the duplicate post. I forgot I posted on this site as it was recently given to me by a friend. I'm still at a brick wall and disappointed that I posted here already.

I never heard back from my reply here though. Would be great if someone could help me. I posted on all 3 Yorkshire sites because I don't know where in Yorkshire he was born.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 16 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just post on one and refer to it in the others, That WILL be understood.

The risk is that Rootschatters can/will be duplicating research/work/effort,
without the benefit of the knowledge of what is posted on other threads or what you already know.

Trust me, that really does ["verb" - shall we say annoy? ] researchers.
So much so that some then actually ignore your posts/threads.
After all, WE DO NOT GET PAID, we are volunteers using our own "good offices".

Don't let that stop you asking for help.

Cheers!

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Hi

Welcome to rootschat  :)

What is the source of his county of birth.  Why do you think that he was apprenticed in London area.
These are two very large areas in England without more information to locate them.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beatles78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi again all,

Not sure which one of my posts is live, but I decided to post here. I wanted to attach Richard Hill's naturalization papers but it won't let me. It looks like it's from 1844, saying Richard was "about 30 years old" which could make his birthdate 1813 which is what it is on the Barque Hope ship manifest and the bio from the county he lived in.

Is anyone able to check the Dent parish records for a Richard Hill born in 1813?

Thank you!
Stephanie