Author Topic: Peter McKie, Born 1811 - Garlieston, Wigtownshire  (Read 13854 times)

Offline McMahonCore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Core, Feakle, Co Clare, Ireland.
    • View Profile
Peter McKie, Born 1811 - Garlieston, Wigtownshire
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm taking a break from my own research to find out a bit more about my wifes family the McKie's.
I'm looking for the parents of the Peter McKie below. Appologies if my information is scarce but I have very little to go on.

Peter McKie Born 1811  - Garlieston, Wigtownshire, married Jessie Walker Born 1814  - Dunscore, Dumfries-shire. They had 5 children that I know of:

MCKIE   Margaret    B. 1840 Ayrshire - Colmonell       
MCKIE   James        B. 1843 Ayrshire - Colmonell       
MCKIE   George      B. 1845 Ayrshire - Colmonell       
MCKIE   Jane          B. 1847 Ayrshire - Colmonell
MCKIE   Peter         B. 1855 Wigtown - Penninghame

In the 1841 Census they are resident in Drumlamford House Cottage and in 1851 they are resident in Corwar Porters Lodge. These appear to be in on the same estate near Barrhill. Peter worked as a joiner and may have been involved in the construction of Corwar House which was built in the late 1830's.

I cannot find any record of the family in Scotland in the 1861 Census but they may have moved to England at this stage as his son James is married in Preston, England by the 1871 Census. James is my wifes gg grandfather.

Any new information would be great.

Thanks,
Noel. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Peter McKie, Born 1811 - Garlieston, Wigtownshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noel

The family still look to be in Scotland in 1861. From the transcript, I think this is them:

Peter Mackie 69, builder master, Gaibertown, Wigtownshire
Jessie Mackie 45 b. Dumfries
Margt Mackie 21
James Mackie 18
George Mackie 16
Jane Mackie 14
Peters Mackie 5
Jane Brown 66 visitor b. Dumfries

Address: Main Street, Newton Stewart, Wigtownshire

With James, son, being your direct line, you may not have viewed Peter's 1855 birth cert. For that first year of Scottish official registration, cert ran over two pages of the register and included more info that normal. For births, it should give you date and place of parents' marriage, ages and where they were from. How many children they had (alive/deceased and girls/boys).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ,

http://www.freecen.org.uk/ has 1861 transcription as -

Peter   Mackie  49    Master Builder Emp 8 Men 3 Bys    born Wigtownshire - Garlieston

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Thought there would likely be a will & testament entry for Peter if he died in Scotland. Looking/searching on the free index on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk I can see and entry for Jessie Walker and likely son Peter:

Jessie MacKie, 25 Oct 1893, or Walker, wife of Peter MacKie, builder Newton Stewart, Parish of Penninghame, County of Wigtown. Died 30 Nov 1893 at Newton Stewart aforesaid, intestate. Wigtown Sheriff Court. Ref  SC19/41/20 - 3 pages.

Peter Mackie, 3 Nnov. 1890. Junior, Clerk, Newton Stewart, Parish of Penninghame, County of Wigtown. Died 7 March 1890 D. 07/03/1890 at Newton Stewart aforesaid, intestate. Wigtown Sheriff Court. Ref C19/41/19 - 3 pages.

Monica

PS: Thanks Ev. Thought Peter's age had been mistranscribed.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Noel, Peter and Jessie are easy enough to find in Newton Stewart for 1871-91 census. At the same address of 11 Albert Street for all that time.

We know from the SP entry that Jessie died in 1893. Also: MACKIE/WALKER, Jessie - D30/11/1891 - At 11, Albert Street, Newton-Stewart, on the 30th ult., Jessie Walker, wife of Peter Mackie, joiner.. http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/wfp/deaths/13.html

Peter still showed as alive at that time. I think he died in the Penninghame parish area in 1897.

Both death registrations are available to view on SP.

Monica

Offline McMahonCore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody!!

The change from Mc to Mac threw me off in the later census. They seemed to be a succesfull family in the building trade. Peter's son James was a joiner also along with George by the looks of things.

Is there any likelyhood of tracking down a marriage record for Peter McKie and Jessie Walker, or a birth record for Peter that might list his parents, or would I have to repy on local parish records, (if they exist).

Thanks,
Noel.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Noel, I don't think there is one to be found unfortunately. I did double check on SP as sometimes the LDS/familysearch index is not comprehensive. Register may have been lost over the years...

Unlikely that the OPR entry would have included much info, much more that a one liner most of the time with simply groom and bride's names.

One possibility is that 1855 birth cert I mentioned for Peter Jnr which is likely to include a date and place of marriage for Peter and Jessie.

Best source for parents' info for both Peter and Jessie will likely be their death registrations from SP, assuming informant knew names to report. You can view and download images online for the certs for this period.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Just take note of spelling variations when searching....

In addition to the Mac/Mc issue, I think you will find that m(a)c/Kie may also just show as KIE in the Sorbie parish registers, such as here for example https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FMMG-BTY

Monica

Offline McMahonCore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica,

That will help a lot. At leaset I have some information to keep the in-laws happy!!!

Just to fill in the rest of the story. James moved to Preston, England after or around the time of his marriage to Jane (surname unknown)

They had 5 children one of whom John Charles McKie, married Emma Appleby and moved to Limerick, Ireland to take up a job as manager of Clunes Tobacco factory in the city where he worked until he was in his 80's. They had 5 children, only the youngest was born in Ireland.

His son James married a Catholic Mary McMahon (no relation!!!!) which wasnt a popular choice as the McKies were Presbeterian. They initially moved to England but shortly aftered returned to Limerick where they had 11 children, one of whom is David McKie my father in law.

Thanks again,
Noel.