Author Topic: William McKnight  (Read 7160 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William McKnight
« on: Tuesday 13 July 04 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi looking for anyone with a interest in the Mcknight family from Befast my G grandfather was
William Mcknight acording to the 1881 census Maryport cumberland he was born belfast 1846 he was working in the coal mines  I know he had at least 1 brother James
any info on the above family
thanks
audrey

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: William McKnight
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 04 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Audrey

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 December 04 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol also William?

Dwelling:   1 E Court
   Census Place:   Crosscanonby, Cumberland, England
   Source:   FHL Film 1342250     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 5181    Folio 11    Page 15
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
William MC KNIGHT   M   35    M   Ireland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Stoker Coal Pit
Ann MC KNIGHT   M   30    F   Maryport, Cumberland, England
   Rel:   Wife
Mary MC KNIGHT       10    F   Maryport, Cumberland, England
   Rel:   Daur
   Occ:   Scholar
Hannah MC KNIGHT       7    F   Broughton, Cumberland, England
   Occ:   Scholar
Jane A. MC KNIGHT       2    F   Maryport, Cumberland, England

There is a small list of Mcknights from Ireland in Cumberland on the 1881 census if you'd like them.

Regards
Shirley

Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline abigail666

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey, You could be related to my mother. Her father was called William Mcknight, although there seem to be a heck of a lot of mcknights from belfast, with large families, and i believe her grandfather was also called William, makes it so hard when the same christian name is used down the generations. Abigail

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
The above census in Maryport is my family William McKnight married Ann Kneen 1869 in Cockermouth
Mary McKnight the daughter age 10 in 1881 was born 1871 she married Robert Sewell in Maryport 1895 these are my grandparents
Hannah McKnight born 1873 married Lesley Falconer
I have never traced Jane Ann who was your mother ?
my grandfather named a David McKnight as his father on his marriage cert first found him in cockermouth 1861 working on a farm with a Brown family

Audrey

Offline abigail666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 May 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey, My mothers father was called William Mcknight, her mother was Elizabeth Sutherland. It's so hard to trace here, because there is no census for 1921. My mother was born in 1929, she had a brother Henry, who was 5yrs older than her. There are so many Mcknights, and makes very hard also, to get info. My mothers father William had 13 siblings i believe, and killarney street in Belfast is also an address where the Mcknights lived. My mums mother died when she was only 3, her father William sent her to Banardos in England, because he couldn't look after her. She came back here in the early fifties, and met my father. She has always wanted to find out about her past relatives, but never got the chance, as most have died. Her brother Henry, who was in the R.A.F, is also dead, he died in England.  Loretta

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 May 11 11:45 BST (UK) »
Loretta- the marriage certificate for William McKnight and Elizabeth Sutherland should list their addresses at time of marriage as well as fathers' names and occupations.

What religion were the McKnights?
There is a William McKnight in 1911 census whose mother had 12 children- the family were Methodist and living in Ballyclare but could have moved to Belfast later.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballyclare_Urban/Market_Square/109488
Same family in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballyclare/Ballyclare_Town/917981

Do you know when and where William McKnight died? the death certificate will help narrow down possible birthdate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline abigail666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your message.  The mcknights in question, were protestant. The family in Ballyclare, could be my mothers relations. There is so much that she doesn't know, that is the problem. She thinks her father died in 1942/1943, she was told his death was caused by kidney failure.  Her mother, i have worked out, also lived in killarney st, Belfast, in 1911, she was 2yrs old then, my mother was born in 1929, so her mother Elizabeth would have been 20, when she gave birth to my mother.My mum was about 3 or 4, when Elizabeth died of pneumonia, after that mums dad sent her to England, to Barnardos, and she has no idea, if her father ever remarried, or had more children. Thanks Again  Loretta

Offline Monty80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Isabella McKnight, she was born and  lived with her brothers and parents at No.4 Killarney Street. Her father was David John McKnight and he was one of the 8 surviving children of the 13 born to David McKnight and Elizabeth Evans.
One of David's brothers was a William McKnight, born roughly around 1886 and I can't seem to find out that much about him. The family were living in Matlock Street, Belfast in 1901 but he doesn't show up with them in 1911!
Oh and they were protestant!