Author Topic: William McKnight  (Read 7232 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William McKnight
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   If it's any help David McKnight married Eliza Evans in 1872 in St Patricks, Ballymacarrett, Church of Ireland, Knockbreda, Belfast. The fathers' names were Samuel McKnight and Soloman Evans.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 23:19 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Isabella McKnight, she was born and  lived with her brothers and parents at No.4 Killarney Street. Her father was David John McKnight and he was one of the 8 surviving children of the 13 born to David McKnight and Elizabeth Evans.
One of David's brothers was a William McKnight, born roughly around 1886 and I can't seem to find out that much about him. The family were living in Matlock Street, Belfast in 1901 but he doesn't show up with them in 1911!
Oh and they were protestant!

Looks like the correct family?
Belfast City Cemetery- Glenalina Extension (J 317):
David McKnight, age 64, 21 Hooker St., died 25 Mar.1919 Union Hospital
Eliza McKnight, age 67, 4 Killarney St., died 27 Apr.1921 Union Infirmary
Samuel McKnight, age 53, 113 Lord St., died 21 Dec.1929
William McKnight, age 54, died 6 Dec.1940 at 51 Lisburn Rd. (City Hospital)

Possibly William McKnight in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Dundrum/Ballylough/236181

Added- seems to be an earlier topic on same family-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,583167.10/topicseen.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Monty80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 June 13 15:32 BST (UK) »
These are indeed my 2x great grandparents, with who appear to be two of my 2x great grand uncles. Samuel is already on my tree, William was also there on my tree but was beginning to suspect he wasn't a sibling or that he may've died before 1911.
With William now placed as a family member the numbers now add up! David and Eliza(beth) actually had 13 children, of whom 8 survived past 1911. One a David, born (and assuming died) before my great grandfather David John was born in 1879, I've also found 2 unnamed boys and an unnamed girl all born in Belfast workhouse in 1885, 1886 and 1888, there was also an Edward McKnight who died in infancy, off the top of my head I think he was born in the early 1890's.
David McKnight senior was a pastry baker by trade! I see William McKnight is boarding with a family called Campbell and his occupation was recorded as a bread server!
James

Offline darylr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm currently researching this particular family in Belfast. I am related through David McKnight who was married to Elizabeth Evans. My connection is through Mary McMeekin, David's mother.
Can you tell me what happened to David's father Samuel ? I'm trying to find out when he died, I think it was between 1865 & 1872 when his son David married.

I'd love to know more about them.

Regards,

Daryl

Offline Monty80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daryl,
I've just looked at my Ancestry tree and I have little information about Samuel McKnight.
I have him born in Down/Antrim in 1824 according to Ireland, select marriages 1619-1898 and the Northern Ireland Antrim census of 1851.
I have his wife Mary McMeekin as being born in about 1829 in Antrim.
I have them married 7th June 1847 at Templepatrick, Antrim. I have her parents as Robert McMeekin and Mary Curry and Samuel's father as another David McKnight.
As for their deaths I have Mary McMeekin/McKnight's death as 10th October 1909 in Belfast, Samuels is a bit unclear as all I have is that he died sometime before 1872, though exactly when or where I'm not sure.
I'm interested to know how we're related. David McKnight and Elizabeth Evans are my 2x great grandparents, their second surviving son David John McKnight is my great grandfather, he lived until 1961 and his wife, my great grandmother was also an Elizabeth -gets very confusing, so I guess you would be a cousin somewhere removed?
Sorry I can't be of more help.
James

Offline darylr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

Thanks for getting back to me about the McKnights.

The info you have, is pretty much what I have for him too. The only difference is for Mary McMeekin, as I have a Mary or Nancy Gingles, as her mother. She died on 1 Jun 1880 in Ballymartin, Templepatrick.(details for her maiden name came from 1841/1851 irish census abstracts). I have Robert dying on 12 Apr 1886 also in Ballymartin.

I'm related through David John McKnight, through his wife Elizabeth Haire, her father's sister Sarah Lavinia Haire was married to my 3 x great uncle David Tedford. I'm trying to research the McKnight's as I've found a cousin through DNA that is also a McKnight (from Newtonards) but can't find a connection yet, it's so frustrating.

I've narrowed down Samuel's death to 1865-1872, there is a death for a Samuel in 1866 in the Belfast workhouse so I was going to look up the records for him there to see if his last known address matches their records.

If your interested I could send you an invite to look at my tree on Ancestry, where you could check out what I have for your family ?

If you pm me your email I'll send you a link.

Regards,

Daryl

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
 Death results for Samuel McKnight from 1865 to 1875

Displaying results 1 - 9 of 9. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lef/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline darylr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

Thanks for the link to irish genealogy.ie but I've already looked at these possible deaths for Samuel, and none of them fitted age wise. I already have a death cert for 1866 for a Samuel in Belfast which I'll look into.

Regards,

Daryl

Offline Wettern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 December 22 22:35 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandfather was William McKnight (born circa 1821) a farmer from Derrykillultagh - landlord Marquis of Hertford. His daughter Agnes (born circa 1845) married my great grandfather William Goodwin (born 1846 in Kirkintilloch Scotland) on 11th March 1872 in Ballysillan Presbyterian Church, Antrim and was listed as living in Brookfield.  Does anyone have this William McKnight on their family tree.  I would love to know more about my Irish ancestors. Gillian