Author Topic: Horwood - Long standing brickwall - having another go!  (Read 7761 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Horwood - Long standing brickwall - having another go!
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate a baptism for my 4xgreat grandfather William Horwood.

From ages given on censuses and at death, he would have been born about 1779.

He married Mary Dawson in New Windsor in 1807 (surname recorded as Horrard). They lived in the Windsor/Clewer area for the rest of their lives and had the following children in Windsor:

1810 William; 1812 Jane (died 1812); 1813 Mary (died 1816); 1816 Jane (married John Padbury 1840); 1818 my Elizabeth (married James Crockford 1840); 1820 Henry; 1822 Sarah; 1826 Stephen (died 1827); 1828 Stephen; 1829 Mary.

The names given to the children are obviously significant because they have been used again when the first child died.

Frustratingly, the 1841 census has William as not born in county but the 1851 census has him born in Waltham, Berks. William died in 1859. When I found a baptism in Waltham St Lawrence, Berks for a William Horwood in 1779, son of William and Joanna (nee Lee) I thought I'd found him. However, that William and family appear on the censuses living in Waltham St Lawrence, whilst my chap is in Windsor. So, not mine!

Just to add to the mystery, on the 1851 census in nearby Binfield, Berks a Henry Horwood age 72 is a farm labourer, born in Waltham St Lawrence, Berks and living on the farm belonging to my Elizabeth's father in law Benjamin Crockford. I'm thinking this must mean some kind of relationship between Henry and Elizabeth's father William, possibly a brother. However, I can't find a baptism for Henry in Waltham St Lawrence - or anywhere else for that matter.

I have been at a complete standstill with this for years so any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel its possible that the 2 Horwood families are perhaps branches of the same family but my branch seem to be the poor relations. Naturally!  ::)

(I have tried White Waltham, Berks as well - nothing!)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Horwood - Long standing brickwall - having another go!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 January 14 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,

I don't know if this a help or a hindrance. In the 1841 census a William Horwood is listed with wife Mary & fam,  and the hundred is  Ripplesmere, Berks.
You can see it at ;
HO107/37/7/13 p 20 New Windsor Berkshire

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 January 14 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Alan, but I do already have that - and the 1851 entry as well.

Its William Horwood's birth/baptism I'm trying to find.

Thanks for your reply.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 15:32 GMT (UK) »
 Berkshire marriages
19th May 1778 Stephen Horwood married Jane Allen at Wargrave St Mary which very near Waltham
Just thought it may be a possible with the childrens names featuring Stephen and Jane

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
The Stephen Horwood that LMFAO has posted was of Hurley according to the Marriage Licence Bond, interestingly the William Horwood  who marries Joanna Lee in Hurley 22 Dec 1772 is also of Hurley on the Marriage Licence Bond - Stephen's brother?

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both.

Alas, I have been down that road already. When I found the Stephen Horwood marrying a Jane in 1778 in Wargrave I thought all my Christmasses had come at once, but I cannot find that they had a child called either William or Henry (William's probable brother).

Having said that, it was very difficult to find any of their children. To date I've found Sarah baptised in Hurley in 1782, John baptised in Hurley in 1783, Martha baptised in Hurley in 1785 and Elizabeth baptised in Waltham St Lawrence in 1788. It seems likely that there were more which I've yet to find (not for the want of looking!) and indeed Stephen's will of 1830 mentions a son Stephen and a daughter Susannah, as well as a granddaughter Eliza Lee (who I haven't yet placed but presumably from Joanna Lee's family) - Stephen doesn't mention any other of his offspring in the will. He names his executor as his nephew Joseph Horwood of Shottesbrook.

I really thought that Stephen and Jane might be the answer to this puzzle but it seems not, though - yes - Stephen is the brother of the William who married Joanna Lee. This part of the Horwood family seem to have been reasonably well off, as were the Lees, but my branch seem to have been the poor relations and were lowly labourers with little money.

Perhaps if we can find any more of Stephen and Jane's children....

Thanks,
Jill
HELP!!!

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking for a non-conformist baptism? I have several families where they swap between C of E and non-com (usually failing to baptise my one entirely ::) )

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've looked on the Nonconformist BMD website but found nothing.

I suppose its always possible that they were never baptised.

Not sure where to look next!!

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline DavidMiller63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
This might interest you: My great-great-grandmother was Emma Horwood (born 1826 in Shottesbrooke, Berkshire - that's close to Binfield). She married Robert Lawrence (born 1821), and their son Alfred Robert (1857 to 1941) immigrated to South Africa, where he married my great-grandmother, Maria Magdalena Kock (Koch?)