Author Topic: William Smith  (Read 14681 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 March 15 19:56 GMT (UK) »
From an obituary I have found (I will PM this in its entirety to SWH1 who started this thread) it seems that the James Smith I enquired about is most likely the son of William Smith the Compositor... so he does belong in this post after all!
It now seems likely to me that his presence as a 'Smith' at 13 Commerce Street is just co-incidental to my Arthur Smith (marine artist) having also resided there until his death as I can't see any obvious connection between the two (yet!).
Attached is the very last paragraph of William's (compositor) obituary.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 March 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
So we are left with the question of the parentage of James Smith, shoemaker, who was born in Cruden and was living at 13 Commerce Street in 1881. His death certificate will answer that question.

Also the parentage of William Smith the printer, who married Mary Ann Duncan. Their marriage certificate will answer that question.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 March 15 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Regarding James Smith (the shoemaker) who was living at 13 Commerce Street... now that we have established he has no obvious connection to William Smith the compositor!

His death certificate in 1901 indicates he was the son of John Smith, a crofter and Amelia Smith (m.s. Smith..!). James was married, as previously stated to Margaret Sangster and then to Jane Smith (m.s. Smith!). I found the certificate for this second marriage and Jane Smith was the daughter of... Arthur Smith and Mary Forbes. So James the shoemaker was Arthur's son-in-law.

It seems even the Registrar was confused as on this marriage certificate James' father is listed as Arthur instead of John!! One of the witnesses to the second marriage was a James Shirron... my great-grandfather!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 March 15 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Great work! That explains why James was at 13 Commerce Street then.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 June 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
Is there any way of finding out where William is buried in Aberdeen? His story during ww1 is of importance and i would like to do more work on him is its possible.

Alan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 June 15 19:23 BST (UK) »
Aberdeen Council should be able to tell you where he is buried.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 June 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
I see there are some articles relating to his death on the British Newspaper Archive (Aberdeen Journal). My subscription is currently expired or I would look it up for you. You might be able to glean a death notice (highly likely as you have the year and date) which will indicate where the burial is. You might also be able to narrow it down by using Deceased Online which has many of the Aberdeen cemeteries.

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 June 15 16:25 BST (UK) »
Splendid. ED i took your advice.. Cheers. I now have a newspaper cutting of him, saying he died in 1941, he was the oldest son of William Smith. So getting things together nicely. Just need a cemetery, i have asked Aberdeen council so we shall see.

Alan

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 17:21 BST (UK) »
Struggling to find where he was buried. Died in a nursing home in Aberdeen in 1941.