Author Topic: Alice Mary Midworth b Nottingham 1896 - Brick wall  (Read 11379 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Mary Midworth b Nottingham 1896 - Brick wall
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 January 14 18:53 GMT (UK) »
11 Hanley Street does not seem to have been a workhouse address.

In 1891 it was the residence of Alfred Thompson, 41, fish salesman, b Nottingham, and his family. Their servant was 18 yr old Emily Burrows b Eastwood.

RG12/2691/111/8.

However in 1901 there is a gap in the sequence of the odd numbered households between 7 Hanley St at RG13/3186/39/19 and 13 Hanley St at RG13/3186/39/20, so it may be worth investigating the possibility that 9 and 11 Hanley St had been converted to some sort of institutional use.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ireneflora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 January 14 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks avm228, that's useful. Perhaps the record office may be able to advise me on what happened there.
Pat

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 January 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »

11 Hanley Street Nottingham

I think the details for 11 Hanley Street are there in the 1901 census. If you put up the enumerator's page up for 7 Hanley Street and then follow onwards No. 9 is shown but the figure is part way across the schedule number. The number for the next house (11) is even less visible.
It looks to me that it was a lodging house. There are quite a lot a people living there without any signs that they are related.

Don't think I have explained that very well!!!

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline ireneflora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 January 14 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Eric, perfectly explained!
And I see what you mean. It looks as though 11 people lived at 11 Hanley St in 1901, with only four having the same surname.
Nottingham Archives have been very helpful today in looking at who was at that address in the relevant year of 1896.
"We have checked the electoral registers for Hanley Street in 1896 in Sherwood Ward and no-one is registered at number 11.
Kelly’s Directory of Nottinghamshire 1895 has 11 Hanley Street: Bownes, Edwin, commercial traveller
Wright’s Directory of Nottingham 1898-9: 11 Hanley Street: Mrs Selina Parrott [matches the 1901 census]
The Wright’s directory of 1902 describes the address as apartments."

Unfortunately Edwin Bownes is not someone I have come across in the Midworth or Noble families. So no further forward.

If a pregnant woman was living alone in a lodging house in 1896 what would usually happen? Would she have the baby there, say with a midwife, or would she usually go to hospital - does anyone know?

Pat

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 January 14 18:27 GMT (UK) »
In the late 1940's, it was one of the neighbours who was sent for, and I think it was the same in the late 1800's, there was usually women in the area, who would attend the births, I don't think that there were any Midwives at that time

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline ireneflora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 January 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MargP
And as she had an address - or at least gave one for the birth cert - she presumably wouldn't have had the baby at a charitable home or hospital?

I'm running out of ideas for finding evidence of the Mary Midworth who had this baby.

I've never found a baptism for Alice Mary Midworth (1896). Does anyone know of a good way to effectively search for baptisms over more than one county (i.e. Notts and Lincs), and covering non-conformist as well as CofE? - apparently during her childhhod in Sibsey Lincs the family she was with were Primitive Methodist.

Pat

Offline Jo Taylor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pat,

I too have a mysterious MIDWORTH - Frank H. MIDWORTH aged 18 in 1901, living in the household of Phillip COOPER in Hammersmith. In 1891 Philip COOPER has a son called Francis COOPER, aged 8. So it *looks* as if he changed his name. But why?

He married Ellen Florence FIELD in 1907 when aged 24.

This might be totally irrelevant to your query, but I'll have a look through my copious notes to see if I can find any clues for you - and I'd be grateful if you could keep a lookout for my Frank. It is such a rare name.

Offline ireneflora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 March 14 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo, sorry I've just spotted this.

I've got a couple of Frank Midworths in my tree, but neither is the right age for you.
Frank Arnold Midworth (b 1906 in Staines, Middx) Father Rupert Midworth
Frank Crossley Midworth (b 1854 in Newark, Notts)
The name 'Cooper' isn't in my tree at all.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

Offline Jamila169

• RootsChat Extra
  • pulling my hair out since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 01:04 BST (UK) »
Irene, did you ever find anything? I've got Midworths in my tree, and they were very big cheeses indeed, who had a fair bit of clout, Mary's brother had an illegitimate daughter before he married Sophia and the child was baptised with both parents present and no bastardy bond issued, Ann, another sister appears to have committed suicide at Cromwell lock, but it didn't leak out into any papers. also be aware that the family seems to have originated in Eckington , then to Mansfield, Belper and Newark, and there are a lot of Marys
Cutt/Cutts -Derbyshire
Dean -Derbyshire
Kimpton/Kempton London, Yorkshire, Notts
Martin -Chesterfield/Nottingham
Martin -Co. Clare
Richardson -Whitwell
Johns - Mevagissey area