Author Topic: Where is Samuel Hayne hiding?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Where is Samuel Hayne hiding?
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Evening

Can someone please help me trace my Hayne ancestors? Sorry for the length of this post

This follows on from a post I made several years regarding Samuel Sanderson Hayne (aka Samuel Thompson Hayne), tailor, born 19 April 1842 at Earls Colne, son of William Hayne (~1773-1842), gentleman, and Sarah Golding (~1801-1879)

The Hayne’s have proven difficult to trace in the census records, particularly Samuel. In attempting to find him, I have traced the rest of his siblings to see if he was staying with them. These are Mary (1834), William (1835), James (1836), Hannah (1837), Robert (1839), and Emma (1840), all born at Earls Colne. I have found all of them up to the 1861 census, except Samuel who I have only seen in the 1851 census.

It is through his deeds outside of the census years that I’ve been able to partially trace Samuels’s movements. In late 1860 Samuel got his future wife, Clarissa Dunnett, pregnant. She gave birth to a son, Samuel, in the spring of 1861. They did not marry until November 1862; the marriage taking place at Ipswich Registry office. Four more children followed, all born at Ipswich except one who was born at Chelmsford

By the time we get to the 1871 census, I have found all of Samuel’s family, except for himself, his older brother William and his wife Eliza. I’m guessing that all three are living together, possibly in the Chelmsford area. My reasoning behind this is that their sister Emma is living with her family at 8 Victoria Square, Chelmsford. Staying with her are William and Eliza’s two sons. Next door at 7 Victoria Square, is Samuel’s estranged wife and their children (RG10/1662, Folio: 7, Page: 4).

This is where the trail goes cold when looking for Samuel, apart from these facts:

• According to an article in the Ipswich Journal, dated 12 August 1871, Samuel had deserted his family, and not for the first time it seems. His whereabouts from this point onwards are currently unknown
  • Also Eliza, the wife of William, died in 1873 at Nottingham. William died in 1875 at Walthamstow, so if Samuel had been staying with them, it would not have been for long.
  • Samuel’s wife, Clarissa, remarried in 1879. Her marriage certificate lists her status as widow. However given that I have not yet found a death certificate for Samuel, she may have been taking advantage of the seven year rule that allows a deserted spouse to remarry

If there is anyone who could help me find Samuel in the 1861 and 1871 census’ and beyond, I would be really grateful

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Samuel Hayne hiding?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 15 07:24 BST (UK) »
Found the will of his father William Hayne written 29 March 1842, proved 15 November 1842
PCC wills, can see it on ancestry, unfortunately he does not mention his children, leaves everything to his dear wife Sarah.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately i haven't found Samuel, but one thing I noticed from that August 1871 newspaper report. It says he gained the right of settlement in Ipswich by his apprenticeship. So if he was born in april 1842, apprenticed at the age of 13 or 14 for 7 years, he was likely to have been in Ipswich as an apprentice in 1861. Possibly living in the household of his master or lodging close by. I can't see a reason at that point that he would deliberately evade the census, but he could be missed off if he was temporarily in someone else's house or details incorrectly recorded by his master or landlord and so not easily found. An apprentice couldn't marry until their apprenticeship finished, so that might explain why he didn't marry Clarissa for some time after the child was born.

From the newspaper report it looks as though the authorities were trying to get Clarissa's father and  Samuel's mother to pay towards the upkeep of the grandchildren in 1869. There seems to be a short period of reconciliation and then the 1871 case was to try to get Sarah Hayne to contribute towards the upkeep. I am not certain Samuel was actually in court on either occasion, it's a bit confusing. I get the impression that the son referred to as being present in court was one of Samuel's brothers.

Given that the courts would be after him for maintenance and he would likely be charged with desertion, I suspect that he probably changed his name and possibly moved to a different part of the country and that's why no further records can be found.
One of my ancestors relatives was actually given a short prison sentence for deserting his wife and children, so penalties could be quite severe.

You referred to an alternative name of Samuel Thompson Hayne, was the only source of this the newspaper report? If so, could Thompson actually be Saunderson / Sanderson misheard by the newspaper reporter?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for looking into Samuel's movements. I believe the same as you that the Thompson name listed was done in error but I listed it just in case he used it elsewhere.

Looking up his apprentice record, if at all possible, might shed some light on what was going on. I suspect that Clarissa's brother, Robert Dunnett (1843-1889) who was also a tailor, was an apprentice to the same master as Samuel. Maybe this is how Samuel and Clarissa met?

I recently bought a copy of Samuel's mothers will, Sarah Hayne (d.1879). She mentions her children several times with the except of Samuel who's name only appears once. It states something along the lines of "if my son Samuel Sanderson Hayne should return to England, he shall be given £x, else his wife to receive £x for their children."

The initial will appears to have been written several years before 1879 as it also states the eldest son, William, as "if he should return to England." However I believe when the will was drawn up William was already dead (1875). Sarah was suffering from dementia towards the end of her life so the rest of the family may not have told her the truth about Samuel and William. A codicil was drawn up shortly before Sarah's death giving extra monies to her children, except for Samuel again.

If Samuel, William (and possibly William's wife Eliza) had emigrated, it could explain why none of them could be found in 1871 census and why both William and Samuel's children are living together in Victoria Square. However it doesn't explain why William and Eliza returned shortly afterwards and Samuel didn't. Its all theoretical unless some record can pinpoint them in the late 1860's/early 1870's