Author Topic: LIGHTBODY FAMILY  (Read 11286 times)

Offline jasperaliceuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LIGHTBODY FAMILY
« on: Thursday 16 January 14 18:05 GMT (UK) »
John Douglas Lightbody b 1899 Hamilton, was killed in Action over Belgium in 1918.  He was an ace pilot with several victories to his name and is buried at Scheldevindeke Church in Belgium.  Each year he is commemorated and this year a special ceremony is being held.  They are looking for any descendants as it would certainly be lovely to have a living relative present along with the other dignitaries being invited.

Long shot I know but if anyone is related or knows someone who may be - as luck would have it have not found anyone following his family tree! - please contact me.

Sue
ROBINS - Devon, Kensington, Southwark, Hackney, Willesden, TIMBRELL - Berkeley, TARLING - St Pancras, WARD - St Pancras, DUKES - Cannock, Aylesbury, St Pancras, LILLYWHITE - St Pancras, WALTER - Croydon, Willesden, BICKFORD - East Stonehouse, GROVES - Harrow on the Hill, Willesden

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LIGHTBODY FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 January 14 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Lightbody is a very well known name in the town of Hamilton. A family of that name has had a bakers shop in Cadzow Street for generations. This may or may not be the family you are looking for. If I were you I'd contact the Hamilton Advertiser newspaper, they may print your request.
Good luck.

news "at" hamiltonadvertiser.co.uk
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 January 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
John Douglas Lightbody b. 30 Oct 1899, Hamilton.
Parents names  John Douglas Lightbody, Grocer (master) & Marjory McDonald Lightbody m.s. Clark.
1901 census has them living on Rothesay, Bute.

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 January 14 19:22 GMT (UK) »
1901 census, 12 Mount Stuart Road, Rothesay, Bute.

John D Lightbody, Grocer, 36, Wishaw.
Marjory M C, 32, Kirn, Argyllshire.
Grace J C, 8, Hamilton.
Christina, 7, Hamilton.
Archibald, 3, Hamilton
John, 1, Hamilton.

Offline jasperaliceuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 January 14 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I am in contact with the baking Lightbodys but I think we are looking at a different line.  They are looking into seeing if there is a connection.
ROBINS - Devon, Kensington, Southwark, Hackney, Willesden, TIMBRELL - Berkeley, TARLING - St Pancras, WARD - St Pancras, DUKES - Cannock, Aylesbury, St Pancras, LILLYWHITE - St Pancras, WALTER - Croydon, Willesden, BICKFORD - East Stonehouse, GROVES - Harrow on the Hill, Willesden

Offline jasperaliceuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 January 14 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the newspaper tip - may very well do that!

I'm doing this on behalf of the Belgians who are trying to find the info.  My stepdad (a Geordie ex Grenadier musician) will be playing in the Belgian band at the ceremony - he's an honorary member.

Sue

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 January 14 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask when the ceremony is?

I happen to know a family called Lightbody in my village and I'll try and find out if they are related.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 January 14 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue. This one caught my imagination & so I've expended some SP credits & done a bit of research for you. It looks as if you may have to go to Pennsylvania to find any family!

Of the family listed in the 1901 census Grace died unmarried in 1953, Christina did not marry until she was 42 so I think it's unlikely she had any children & Archibald died at the age of 5 in 1903. However, there were another couple of sons born after 1901 (I can't find the family in 1911), George Williams in 1907 & Duncan Clark in 1901. George died in 1989 so his d.c is not available to view online but there is no record of a marriage.

However, Duncan emigrated to the USA and is shown in both the 1930 & 1940 US censuses living in Pennsylvania with a wife and 3 children - 2 sons & a daughter. Duncan died in 1969 but I imagine that at least some of the children should be around.

Hope you are successful in contacting someone. Best wishes Blanche

Offline jasperaliceuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 January 14 19:26 GMT (UK) »
The ceremony will be on 10th November this year.

Sue