Author Topic: master mariner  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Emma Lyon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: master mariner
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
I am actually living in the same house as this man! i have been doing research on the house and the residents before moving here, and him and harriet clampet lived here it is saying! i have a friend that lives in the 7 steps along on parkgate front and she has all the information about everyone who has lived on the front and both of them lived here! have you found out anymore information on him?

cheers em x

Offline snipo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Emma how wonderful is that.
I and the Clampitt families would be most interested in what you have found out. Also any further info that your friend has.  Any secret tunnels in the house how many stories high?
The Clampitts married into local families Pemberton and Pollard are 2 that come to mind without looking at my tree.
He is my 4x grandfather. He came from Bovey Tracey in Devon. His wife was from Parkgate. Harriet was unmarried and Kate/Catherine who lived in the "Lodging house" with her was married twice.
Another daughter of Isaac's Mary Anne was my 3x grandmother. She married the boy next door but one? (I assume, maybe you can tell me? please)  who lived in the Red Lion with his parents and brother Lee Wood who later took over the running of the pub from his father John Wood.
I am really looking forward to what you have and if at all I will share with you what I have.
Many thanks Collette

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard,

There are 9 hits for your man in the Sound Tolls Registers database paying a tax to the Danish crown.

Here is a description of the database:
"The Sound Toll Registers (STR) are the accounts of the toll which the king of Denmark levied on the shipping through the Sound, the strait between Sweden and Denmark. They have been conserved (with gaps in the first decades) for the period from 1497 to 1857, when the toll was abolished. From 1574 on, the series is almost complete.
The STR are being kept by the Danish National Archives (Rigsarkivet) in Copenhagen.

The STR contain data on 1.8 million passages. The officials of the tollhouse at Elsinore recorded of each passage in principle the following data:

the date
the name of the shipmaster
the domicile of the shipmaster
the port of departure
the port of destination (from the mid-1660s)
the composition of the cargo
the toll"

Go to this link:
http://dietrich.soundtoll.nl/public/names.php?start=S

Scroll way down the right hand column to find 8 hits under the spelling "Strasenburgh" and 1 under the spelling "Straseburgh".

Click on each spelling to get the list of hits. Pay no attention to some of them having first initial "T" because in the images I looked at, I think they are all mistranscriptions of "F" for Frederick.

Click on the round orange icon beside each date to get the transcription.

Click on the image link to see the actual page of the register.

Many of the commodities are easy to translate even though they are written in Danish e.g. "kul" = "coal". And you can always use Google Translate.

Unfortunately vessel names are not given, but isn't it a thrill to be able to accurately place your ancestor in a specific spot on a specific day?

Cheers,
Westoe

EDIT: You can cross-reference those sound toll registers by date with the vessel names in the  "SOUND LIST" columns of the newspapers.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
More for Richard,

Both GEM and LAWSONS have entries in Richard Keys' valuable reference work "Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ships".  They give Official Numbers, dimensions and potted history. Here they are. Note the misspelling of your man's surname in the one for GEM, where co-incidentally our interests cross - one of my ancestors owned her at an earlier date.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 17:20 BST (UK) »
Had to start another reply for LAWSONS as image too large to post with GEM.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 September 17 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard,

AMAZON is another vessel you should be considering for your ancestor despite the spelling of the master's surname. I suggest it because there is an ownership connexion to the brig GEM. Here's a newspaper snippett for her. Her Official Number was 24,701.

EDIT: Yes, Bingo! lots of hits in the newspapers for him under the spelling Strasenburg - as master of GEM, of AMAZON and of LAWSONS.

Offline RICHIE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 July 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
After a long absence i have finally found time to view these replies.
May i say thank you to all of you who have contributed with this information.
very much appreciated
kindest regards
Richie