Author Topic: John Richardson Born 4 Mar 1827 Alston UK emigrated to Victoria 1862  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
John Richardson Born 4 Mar 1827 Alston UK emigrated to Victoria 1862
« on: Friday 17 January 14 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Tracing 2x Great Grandfather John Richardson, son of Joseph Richardson and Margaret Watson

Baptised 16 Sep 1827 Alston UK.
Married Hannah Allison mid 1849 Alston UK
Residence Alston UK 1851 & 1861
Lead Miner

John emigrated with Hannah and children Sarah, Emerson and Elizabeth on board HMAS Great Britain in 1862 to Melbourne. Their children started their own families on the goldfields in the late 1860s, and moved to East Gippsland.

Son Emerson married Ellen Vipond and worked supplying gravel to the Tambo Shire for making roads from 1880s to 1900. 3 of his 4 children were born in the Bairnsdale / Swan Reach area.

Sarah and Elizabeth both started families in Bairnsdale. Sarah married William Bell and later Joseph Race and died young. Elizabeth married Robert Cochrane.

Wife Hannah died a widow in 1901 at Lucknow near Bairnsdale, however have found no BDM or Census records or newspaper clippings for John since their arrival.

Would appreciate any details on John Richardson post 1862
Many Thanks
Mixo
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Richardson Born 4 Mar 1827 Alston UK emigrated to Victoria 1862
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 January 14 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello
There are 2 more children to the couple once they reach Australia
Hannah born Smythsdale Victoria 1863 to John and Hannah nee Allison died age 10 mths Dec 1864.
Mary Ellen born Ballarat East 1865 to John and Hannah nee Allison died age 2 1868 Victoria.
So he must have lived at least a few years after arriving.
Ciderdrinker

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 January 14 23:51 GMT (UK) »
If John RICHARDSON died during the time he was living in the Ballarat district, his burial is not recorded on the Ballarat Cemetery database.
Nor are there registered burials there for his two infant daughters as listed by ciderdrinker.

I have access to the Bairnsdale Cemetery index and do see some related burials and details of the family, including Hannah's. If there are any you require, let me know. John RICHARDSON is not there.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 January 14 03:49 GMT (UK) »
I have access to the Bairnsdale Cemetery index and do see some related burials and details of the family, including Hannah's. If there are any you require, let me know. John RICHARDSON is not there.
Sue

AND

Hello
There are 2 more children to the couple once they reach Australia
Hannah born Smythsdale Victoria 1863 to John and Hannah nee Allison died age 10 mths Dec 1864.
Mary Ellen born Ballarat East 1865 to John and Hannah nee Allison died age 2 1868 Victoria.
So he must have lived at least a few years after arriving.
Ciderdrinker

Dear Sue and Ciderdrinker,

Sue - Thanks for your time and offer re Bairnsdale cemetery records. Have spent a few hours there taking photos and notes late last year, but have only got half way thru.

Emerson Richardson was my great grandfather, and virtually nothing was known about him as he was an alcoholic and basically deserted Hannah his family about 1902, until I traced these Richardsons back to Alston UK in the 1790s.

Am pretty up to scratch with the Australian descendants of Emerson Richardson and Elizabeth Cochrane nee Richardson, and Sarah's second husband Joseph Race. However am totally stuck confirming anything specific re Sarah's first husband William Bell, apart from their marriage in Vic in 1867.

William and Sarah Bell had John Joseph Bell in 1868 at Cambrian Hill, and William Emerson Bell in 1870 at Campbells Creek, whom both were living at Lucknow in 1903, both passed away much later in Bairnsdale, and I have quite easily traced their descendants.

Its probably not a coincidence, as I have numerous family members from Alston and Garrigill, who were virtually neighbours and fellow Lead Miners back in the UK, whose many children intermarried here either on the goldfields or in East Gippsland in Victoria. Emerson Richardson's mother in law was Mary Ann Bell born 1829 in Alston, and his wife Ellen's younger sister was Maria Bell Vipond born 1865 Stratford Vic who married ( I think was a cousin ) Thomas Bell Cutter from Tynemouth.

The only possible leads I have found on a William Bell at Cambrian Hill in Feb 1867 and at Ballarat in Feb 1868, are from share listing notices Re the Alston and Weardale Gold mining company, registered at Cambrian Hill in 1867, and the Daniel Webster Gold Mining Company at Ballarat in 1868.

Ciderdrinker - Thanks too for your info re the additions of Hannah and Mary Ellen to the Richardson family backs up old notes taken at the National Library 15 years ago, I had overlooked. Their location at Smythsdale in 1863, also indicates a probable connection to Sarah Richardson's first husband William Bell, who (possibly) also had shares in the Peru Gold mining Company registered at Smythsdale Racecourse in 1865, as per attachment.

Summing up, with some conjecture of course, I would say its highly likely Sarah's husband William Bell, would have been well known to my Richardson family back in Cumberland, near Alston, but its has been like trying to find a "John Smiths records in a haystack"

Any more leads or help on
John Richardson in Australia post 1865 ( Am thinking he may have died interstate )
or
William Bell ( Sarah Richardson's husband ) birth, parentage, death etc
would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks again for all your input
Mixo
via Warragul Victoria
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
and more at

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 January 14 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Good morning
Let's have a look at William Bell.He must have died sometime between 1870 ,when his son was born and 1877 when Sarah remarried.
So looking at the deaths in Victoria 1870-1877 -there are 8.
I've cut this down to a choice of 3
William died 1871 son of John and Sarah born 1799
William died 1874 born 1813
William died 1877 born 1822 s of Henry Bell and Mary Scott.
So have you got an age on his marriage to Sarah Richardson?
I'd assume that your William is the one who dies in 1877 age 55 .
He comes from Workington baptised 22.8.1822 ,born 15.6.1822 .Henry Bell married Mary Scott in 18.6.1811 at Workington .Henry age 26 and Mary 21.
Could find more on them but does the age fit?
Ciderdrinker

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 January 14 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Gidday

RE your deduced selection of
William died 1871 son of John and Sarah born 1799
William died 1874 born 1813
William died 1877 born 1822 s of Henry Bell and Mary Scott.

So have you got an age on his marriage to Sarah Richardson?

I'd assume that your William is the one who dies in 1877 age 55 .
He comes from Workington baptised 22.8.1822 ,born 15.6.1822 .Henry Bell married Mary Scott in 18.6.1811 at Workington .Henry age 26 and Mary 21.
Could find more on them but does the age fit?
Ciderdrinker

Hi again, with thanks for your time,

Not sure where you are? Its been 45 degrees (110) here in Victoria for 5 days in a row, and have downed a few Strongbow dry ciders to rehydrate.

Sarah Richardson was born 1850 in Alston UK, and she was only 17 when she married William Bell in Victoria. Her second husband Joseph Race, was 12 years older than Sarah when they married in 1877, the year she died.  Sorry, but I don't have any records whatsoever to give any indication of Williams age when they married, but I would guesstimate William would have probably been around his mid to late 20's in 1867, and coming from a mining background.

I have confirmed many of my 1850s personal family connections to lead miners from the Alston and Garrigill area of UK eg the Richardson, Vipond, Calvert, Coulson, and Liddell families, and the patterns of marriages, and living in close proximity of each other is quite outstanding. It was a rarity for someone to marry another who lived more than 5-10 miles away from each other. Many children who emigrated to the Victorian goldfields married there and started families. The Calverts were quite successful miners here, and moved to far East Gippsland to mine and farm in the early 1870s, and the others named above eventually followed and settled around Barinsdale, Lucknow, Bruthen, Swan reach and Nicholson, a radius of 5-10 miles between towns.

Even my late mother, Rae Richardson, never lived more that a few suburbs away from her sister, Joan Liddell Richardson.

Looking at the age of the William Bell you suggested, being 45 when Sarah was 17, and also the distance of 60 miles, between Sarah's home town of Alston and Workington, I would say this is probably not our Wm Bell.

Am thinking our Wm Bell may have been born around 1940 ISH, with possible parentage around the Alston, to Carlisle, to Auckland, to Hexham region of the UK, or maybe the Goldfields or East Gippsland in Victoria, Australia.

Sorry I can't give you any more to go by, but my deduction with Wm Bell mining near Ballarat, with a link to Alston / Weardale area of Cumberland, is sort of backed up by attached clipping.

Still looking with my limited resources.
Thanks again, and have a cider for me.
Mixo via Warragul Victoria

and more at

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 January 14 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Good morning again Ciderdrinker

Hi again,

Don't you love how "Genie Allergy" twists and turns?

Just stumbled over 2 very probable leads via
http://www.ballaratgenealogy.org.au/miners/b.htm
which is a list of Victorian Mining accidents.

1. William Bell killed 12 Dec 1869 at Sebastapol division of Ballarat
2. Wm Bell killed 1 Apr 1870 at Sebastapol division of Ballarat

Need help confirming details of these 2 Wm Bells please, as I can't confirm either of them as family.

Thanks
Mixo

and more at

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 January 14 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Here are the deaths from the index.  Parents not known in either case.

BELL William
Father  U
Mother:-
Age  30
Birth Place  ALLA (I don't know what this abbreviation is :( unless it is BALLA for Ballarat with the B cut off)
Reg   8402

BELL  William
Father: U
Mother:-
Age  74
Birth Place  SCOT
Year 1870
Reg   4437

Per your PM :D
Neither man is at Ballarat Cemetery.  No William BELLs  in the right time frame buried at Ballarat.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 January 14 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I couldn't find any younger men that's why I suggested the 45 year old from Workington but the previous answer seems to be much more likely.
ps Scot is probably Scotland and Alla could also be Alloa as well as Ballarat.
Ciderdrinker in the cold midwinter of England