Author Topic: John Richardson Born 4 Mar 1827 Alston UK emigrated to Victoria 1862  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
Re: John Richardson Born 4 Mar 1827 Alston UK emigrated to Victoria 1862
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I couldn't find any younger men that's why I suggested the 45 year old from Workington but the previous answer seems to be much more likely.
Just purchased marriage certificate of William Bell and Sarah Richardson at Ballarat in 1867 which states William Bell was born in Northumberland in 1839, as he was 28 years when married. Parents noted as Thomas Bell, a miner, and what reads something like Margaret Martin or Hirston or similar. William was a resident of "Black Lead" a small township near Buningyong / Sebastopol south of ballarat Victoria.

Would appreciate lookup help re UK census or BDM, as am unable to find anything that comes close, from my limited resources.

Many thanks
Mixo
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry to say this is quite a big task as Bell is quite a common name and William is born just after the start of civil registration in Sep 1837,so I can't do a quick look up for his parents marriage etc.
Looking at the GRO  Registration there are 7 births for 1839 and 7 for 1838.
There is a baptism for a William Bell born 6.10.1840 at Tynemouth to Thomas and Margaret Bell but I don't think that's him as his dad is a shipwright.
I can eliminate all but 2 of the births 1839 -June Morpeth and Newcastle upon Tynebut that doesn't help.
On the 1841 census at Allendale there is a William Bell age 2 son of Thomas Bell lead miner but he's still there 1871.He's the only one that seems to fit the Bill.His wife Mary is 20 to Thomas's 30 so she could be a second marriage.(actually born 1809 and 1817 in Allendale)The other William on the 1841 census is the 3 year old son of Thomas and Isabella farmer.Don't suppose he could have popped back  to Northumberland for 1871and then disappeared again?
There is a marriage Thomas Bell to a Margaret Mains 4..8.1823 Warden Northumberland but can't spot any children for them.He was from Huntstanworth and she from Newbrough
Sorry,may try again if I can think of where else to look
Ciderdrinker
Sorry think I just found him
1861 Hesley hall Allendale
Margaret Bell 56 lead miner's widow Allendale
Joseph 27 Lead miner
William 24 same
Thomas 22 same
Sarah 17 dress maker all born Allendale.
1851 same address Margaret pauper labouring woman and extra daughter Hannah 9.
Will get back to you if I find 1841

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 March 14 13:38 GMT (UK) »
1841 Nutherhope Allendale
Thomas Bell 35 lead miner y
Margaret 35
Mary 10
Joseph 7
William 5
Thomas 2
Hannah 1mth
Unfortunatley the parish records for Allendale don't seem to be on line for the 1830's and 40's.No baptisms the right date there for Thomas Bell c1805.
Ciderdrinker

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 March 14 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry to say this is quite a big task as Bell is quite a common name

Don't suppose he could have popped back to Northumberland for 1871and then disappeared again?

Sorry think I just found him
1861 Hesley hall Allendale
Margaret Bell 56 lead miner's widow Allendale
Joseph 27 Lead miner
William 24 same
Thomas 22 same
Sarah 17 dress maker all born Allendale.
1851 same address Margaret pauper labouring woman and extra daughter Hannah 9.
Will get back to you if I find 1841

Hi mate,
Thanks again for your time and effort.
Think its the Wm Bell 24 Lead Miner in 1864 at Allendale you found.
Am 95% sure he died in Victoria in a mining accident in 1869.

Find it interesting in 1861 these Bells are living next door to Chester and Ann Martin, brother and sister, seemingly more than coincidental that Margarets maiden name is also Martin. Can't seem to find a close family link though. Have been advised by a historian of Allendale and Ninebanks ( Roger Morris ) that Martin was a very common family name in that area, yet many miners from UK stuck together like glue ( literally lived as neighbours ) on the gold fields, and where they selected or bought land later on.

Cheers with thanks
Mixo
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
and more at

Offline Gavinnuffield

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 August 16 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hello, I've been looking at my family history on the Richardson side and read your information on John Richardson 1827. Well, Joseph Richardson (1798-1871)(John Richardsons father) is the brother of my great great grandfather who just to complicate things is another John Richardson (1788-1838).
With all that in mind I just wanted to say hello and thankyou for writing the details down as I probably wouldn't have looked at emigrated families. Thankyou, G Richardson

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi from Victoria Australia,

Thanks you for your contact - I assume it might be Gavin from your email.

Yes I must say Richardson is hard enough name to trace, being fairly common, but I do recall getting a bit baffled at times with Johns and Josephs in my heavy research days. As a young boy, my family and I lived with my grandfather, John Victor Richardson until he died in 1966 - every one called him Jack or Pa.

I have just checked my Ancestry.com pages, and am a little baffled as to whether or not we are talking about the same Richardson branch. Most of my records have been based on records in the Ancestry.com register, including Census and Emigration records, and I have found numerous errors on members' pages there.

Our John Richardson is noted to be born at Garrigill Gate in 1827 to Joseph Richardson (1792 - 1869) and Margaret Watson (1793 - 1872). Ancestry has Joseph having a sister Tamar Nall nee Richardson, and Joseph's father also was a Joseph born 1762 at Alston, and his mother as Mary Hetherington also born at Alston in 1766, and died there too in 1832.

Sorry I may have misunderstood your message, however I can't find a Joseph with a brother John in the generation you outlined.

If you are interested, I have 2 quite detailed pages in my web site on our Richardson family,
http://www.richardson.org.au/richardson_family_tree.html of the early family in the UK
and
http://www.richardson.org.au/richardson_family_tree_part2.html outlining the Australian born branch.

Basically the Richardsons came to Victoria for the 1860s Gold Rush, however they were not any where as successful as their cousins and in-laws, the Calverts, Coulsons, Viponds, Rowes, and Liddells. The Richardsons and the Viponds seem to stick fairly close together on the Gold Fields, but moved on to farming at East Gippsland, about 250 klms from where I live.

If you have any enquiries about the Aussie branch, I would be happy to try and answer your questions, perhaps by direct email to catemixo@yahoo.com Naturally your advice re any possible errors would be appreciated.

I can send you an invite to my Ancestry web pages direct to your email address, if you wish to provide that to me.

Cheers for now,
Mixo Sydenham
Ellinbank Victoria
and more at