Author Topic: McGrath's of Waterford County  (Read 13879 times)

Offline McGrath_downunder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGrath's of Waterford County
« on: Saturday 18 January 14 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have traced my great great grandfather and some of his brothers to Waterford, but that is about it. As far as towns have been linked (with little) supporting evidance is Kill, Kilmacthomas, Dungarvan, Ballyristeen  and Mountain Castle .

Michael McGrath born around 1850 +/- 5 years migrated to Wellington region New Zealand  before 1882 (I think 1881).  Died Ireland July/August/September 1910. Died at sister residence ballyristeen, sister name unkown.  Was well known in NZ as a horse trainer.

Brother...Maurice T McGrath (building Contractor), migrated Wellington regoin New Zealand around 1881. Died in NZ 1906

Brother...Father William McGrath, migrated to Bathurst NSW Australia, then to Wellington New zealand Died NZ 1906.

Brother...Canon McGrath who I beleive may have stayed in Ireland.

A starting point or some advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGrath's of Waterford County
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 January 14 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate post on BEGINNERS board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674338

Starting with this bit- "Michael McGrath born around 1850 +/- 5 years migrated to Wellington region New Zealand  before 1882 (I think 1881).  Died Ireland July/August/September 1910. Died at sister residence ballyristeen, sister name unkown."
Ballyristeen is the name of a townland. In 1911 census, shortly after Michael's death there, only 20 females were living there - none named McGrath. Married ones were Margaret Walsh (age 70), Ellie Power (age 34), Kate Walshe (age 38), Margaret Mary Doyle Hanly (age 28). Also four widows Anne Flemming (age 80), Mary Power (age 72), Julia Keily (age 33 but maiden name Walsh) and Margaret Halley (age 70 with nephew Thomas McGrath in household).

Michael's death certificate would give an exact date of death as well as the name of the informant (quite possibly his sister or some of her family).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maggie smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 January 14 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your information on the McGrath family.  I am unable to say wheather it is the same family I am after, as Maurice was my grandfather and i have his Death sert and according to that he died 17 Jan 1937, and is buried in the family plot in St Marys Church yard Dungarvan.  I also have the marriage cert of Maurice Mcgrath and Mary Moroney.  They were Married at the Chaple of Touraneena on 25 Jan 1896.  However on both certificates his fathers name was James McGrath, and on his birth cert his mothers name waS Bridget Koen, and father James Mcgrath who is a farmer.  Maurice was born inRingville, Co Waterford and the dwelling place of James is Lyre.
I did not know my granfather as he had passed away before I died, and I have since been over to Ireland and found more about him plus more family that I did not know Ihad.
http://www.waterfordmuseum.ie/exhibit/web This link will take you to the archives photgraphs, if you type in CANON MCGRATH it will bring up the picure of THE BURIEL OF mONSIGNOR jOHN KIELY (CANON MCGRATH IS to the left of the cross.  My Grandfather is somehow related to Monsignor John Kiely, Please let me know if this means anything to you as I have more information here I am willing to share with you. 
I am also in toch with another Mcgrath family in New Zealand and America, so hopfully we can find out if we are all related to the same person.
my email address is *

regards
Maggie

*Removed as per RC policy , please use the Personal Message(PM) to exchange private information.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 January 14 09:56 GMT (UK) »
You'll need to remove your email address from your post- McGrath_downunder has 4 posts so you can send it by PM instead.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hello McGrath_downunder

* Are you still seeking information for this Maurice McGRATH  (d.1910 Co. Waterford - late of Masterton, New Zealand) ?

~  Lu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 September 14 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hello McGrath_downunder

* Are you still seeking information for this Maurice McGRATH  (d.1910 Co. Waterford - late of Masterton, New Zealand) ?

~  Lu

Hi Lu,
Yes, I a have not gotten very far at all discovering ancestry on Irish soil. I am seeking information on Maurice McGrath snr and his brothers.  Michael McGrath snr (my GG Grandfather) died suddenly in 1910 at his sister's house " Ballyristen,"and buried in in Ireland while he was on a trip back to the old country from New Zealand.  I can PM you extracted copy of 1911 census showing what I believe is his sister and extract from NZ Wairarapa Daily Times dated 5 September with a story announcing the death of Michael McGrath snr.  The article also mentioned that he was a brother of Canon Mcgrath and indicates he was still in Ireland.  I have no knowledge on Canon Mcgrath or any other siblings or parents that I did not list in the posting.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and kind regards
Neal McGrath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 September 14 06:02 BST (UK) »
P.S.
Lu,
Sorry I did not mean to limit my search just to brothers...I am interested in any family members.
Thanks
Neal

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hello McGrath_downunder

* Are you still seeking information for this Maurice Michael McGRATH  (d.1910 Co. Waterford - late of Masterton, New Zealand) ?

~  Lu

Hi Neal

... ooops ... just noticed I made an error in above post - it should of course have read "Michael McGRATH (and not Maurice).   :-[

I'm not related in any way to the McGRATH's but since 2012 have been endeavouring to assist with an enquiry on the New Zealand Board ("McGrath Family in NZ") which has recently sprung to life again, enabling some progress to be made.  [The NZ thread concerns a Peter McGRATH born Waterford c. 1838 - a roading contractor and briefly a publican, whom through NZ newspaper reports of early 1880's, I've learned, had brothers named "Maurice" / "John" / "Michael" apparently residing in Canterbury NZ at that time.  They were the nephews of a Rev. John McGRATH, late of Kilmagemogue, Waterford, who died in Ireland sometime in 1882.   Peter McGRATH moved from NZ to Sydney where he died in June 1885. ]

As part of the quest to discover more about Peter McGRATH, I've looked at info for the NZ-based McGRATH family of Maurice Thomas, Michael, and Rev. Father William (d. 1906).    Initially I'd thought the Michael Thomas (d. 1906) and Michael (d. 1910) McGRATH were the brothers of Peter ... but now I'm not so sure ?  [Thanks, but no need for you to PM newspaper articles as I already have these. ]   

However, whilst visiting Archives New Zealand in Wellington last week, I noticed there was a Probate file  (Letters of Administration) for Michael McGRATH (d. Ireland 1910).  Had been hoping there might a copy of his death registration included, but alas, no.   Anyway I scribbled some notes from the file and thought you might like to have these (in case they're of help ?).
Will add these in following post.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
NZ Probate Record for :

McGRATH - Michael - Horse Trainer of Masterton

Archives New Zealand Ref:  AAOF  W5447  18576  Box 39  Record #  37/10
~~~~~~~~-------

Extract from above Probate (Letters of Administration) File >

Affidavit of John WALSH of Masterton NZ, farmer :  [Dated 21 November 1910]

*... I knew Michael McGRATH ...

* THAT SAID  Michael McGRATH died at the residence of Peter HALLY, at Ballyristeen, Co. Waterford, Ireland, on or about 3 September 1910, as I am able to depose from having seen his dead body after death, and from having been present at his funeral.
------------------
Notes:

Michael McGRATH died intestate (i.e. without leaving a will).   
Michael's son, Maurice Thomas McGRATH, Horse Trainer of Masterton, applied for Letters of Administration in the Estate of Michael McGRATH [with the blessing of his mother and siblings.]

... continues next post >>