Author Topic: William Henry Cory  (Read 1683 times)

Offline DMC1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry Cory
« on: Saturday 18 January 14 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow, I have seen a lot of crazy stuff written This is my ancestor the reason there is no record is because we have refused to give Victoria Cross back to England.  There have been people who have come all the way from England to take it so they can register it and my family has always said No Way there is also a saber they want and again our family said No Way.  I have always been told that is how they have kept track or something.  I believe that (*) has the saber and actual Victoria Cross this is a person on the other side of the family as the Verdier's from France married into the Cory's from Clapham.
He is buried in St. Helena's cemetery where everyone in my family is buried everyone in that particular cemetery are all interrelated because their social class prevented them from marrying other people of a lower social class the Verdier side controlled all trade in and out of South Carolina and invented a special cotton that was revered all around the world.  The houses still stand as museums in South Carolina.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc.

Online AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Cory
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 January 14 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi DMC1973

Welcome to Rootschat!

I sounds as if you are answering or adding to  an existing topic about this gentleman..  maybe this one from back in 2008?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=297411.0

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 January 14 08:06 GMT (UK) »
William H Cory of Wandsworth had a letter in The Times of February 10 1857 in which he states that he was in the Light Cavalry charge at Balaclava, and signs off "William H Cory late 11th (P.A.O) Hussars"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 January 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 January 14 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat has a very strict policy which prohibits posting details of living people. It would probably be best if you remove the name of the person you mentioned in your post (click on modify button)- I certainly wouldn't be happy to have details of the whereabouts of a valuable family heirloom in my possession spread all over the internet (search engines pick up Rootschat posts very quickly).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 January 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
The recipients of the Victoria Cross are very well documented and William Henry CORY is not amongst them.

After returning from the Crimean War he was sentenced at the Old Bailey to four years penal servitude for forgery.

"Central Criminal Court, Jan. 4." Times [London, England] 5 Jan. 1859: 11. The Times Digital Archive. Web. 18 Jan. 2014

"William Henry Cory, 27, clerk, pleaded "Guilty" to two charges of forgery.......The learned COUNSEL for the prosecution said it was a painful thing to have to prefer so serious a charge against a young man who was undoubtedly respectably connected and who had conducted himself with considerable gallantry during the recent war in the Crimea; but there was too much reason to believe that he had been carrying on a regular system of forgery since his return to this country, and the protection of the public therefore rendered it necessary to institute the present proceedings.  The prisoner, since his return to England, it appeared, had been going about the country lecturing upon the Crimea, and he had ingratiated himself into the confidence of a gentleman in the neighbourhood of Croydon, to whom he had uttered the checks in question........Mr Robinson said that the prisoner had conducted himself with great bravery at Balaclava, and he was also at the battle of Inkermann and had a horse shot under him.  He had gone to the Crimea as a volunteer during the Russian war, and at its conclusion he was discharged, and he had no doubt that since then he had got into difficulties, and this had led to the commission of these offences.....and he therefore felt it to be his duty to order the prisoner to be kept in penal servitude for four years."

A full account of the case details had previously appeared in The Times (London, England), Friday, Dec 10, 1858; pg. 11; Issue 23173

Licence granted 28 February 1862, for early release from Portland prison.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C10551462

I believe you will find him on the 1861 census at Portland Prison, Dorset as "WHC", Clerk, aged 29.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 January 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
DMC1973, I think you might be confusing the 'Southern Cross of Honor' with the Victoria Cross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_of_Honor

Debra  :)

Offline Tripp Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 December 17 01:59 GMT (UK) »
To DMC at the top, I am also a descendant of William Henry in the US. Was looking on here to learn a little about him. You mentioned some of his personal belongings. My family is in possession of his diary from  Crimean War. Are you familiar with any of the relatives of the Verdiers / Cory's in the US?