Author Topic: Cemeteries around Portmadoc  (Read 10533 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemeteries around Portmadoc
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 January 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Inscriptions are in Welsh, and I've included all the information in my posting.
The verse, which I think refers to Margaret Owen, ends:
".............................................. - ond ust hon
I donnau oerion a sydyn fwriwyd."
Don't know whether or not it's to be taken literally.

The Parish of Treflys splits that of Ynyscynhaearn into two parts. The church lies on the high ground above Graigddu (Black Rock Sands), Morfa Bychan. Reference for Treflys MIs  M 47.

When I mentioned looking for information, I was referring to looking in those publications in the list that I have copies of. Microfiche copies are available for inspection at Caernarfon Archives.
Llanfrothen is in Merionethshire, and MIs on microfiche available at Dolgellau Archives. There is the Church cemetery in Llanfrothen, also Ramoth (Scotch Baptists).
The full verse, in case somebody would like to have a go at translation:
"Yn esgeulus nis gwelwyd - hi erioed
Ei rhan ganddi, weithwyd,
Yn gyfoeth rhin hi gafwyd - ond ust hon
I donnau oerion a sydyn fwriwyd."
Emyr

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 January 14 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Emyr,

Thank you - I am English as my family left Wales for Liverpool in the early 1900's. However my cousin who lives nearby, was born and brought up in Anglesey.

He is a fluent Welsh speaker so I will ask him to translate the verse.

Thanks again

Alan

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 January 14 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Checked Llanfrothen and the Baptist chapel. The fiches are here at the National Library too. No luck I'm afraid. I did take a peek at Maentwrog & Gellilydan, again no luck.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 February 14 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

Thank you for your kind replies and as a consequence I am taking a flying visit to Portmadoc next Wednesday to seek the graves at Treflys and if possible maybe find out a little more.

I gather the grave inscription is Welsh poetry (an Englyn)

I have since established that one of the the missing links Elizabeth Owen married a Seaman - John Evans in 1851 and as Elizabeth Evans she appears in various censuses (1861-1891).

Their children were Jane (1851), Catherine (1857) and Philip Owen (1860). i was wondering Emyr if any of their names appear in the publications you have - would it be possible to check before I come to Portmadoc?

From the censuses etc - I think Elizabeth died in 1894 age 69 (She was a widow in the 1891 census), Jane seems to have died a spinster in 1900 age 48, Catherine also a spinster seems to have died in the same quarter in 1900 age 42. The son Philip married twice  - firstly in 1883 to Jane Williams with 2 children Elizabeth Evans (1884) and John Evans (1886) and after Jane died in 1901 age 44 he married Ann Jane Parry in 1902 and had a daughter Jane Evans (born 1904). So far I think Philip died in 1949 age 89 - it may be interesting to get his death certificate. 

If you have any details that may help prior to my visit it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Alan

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Got a bit confused with all the names and the Caernarfon and Anglesey connections. Following graves at Moelygest, Porthmadog might be of interest:
060     Thomas, dear son of Phillip and Jane Evans, 5 Glaslyn St., Portmadoc. 27/06/1895, aged 1yr.
John Evans, his grandfather, 17/03/1897, aged 67 yrs.
Jane, his dear daughter, 01/05/1900, aged 48 yrs.
Henry, dear son of Phillip and Ann Evans, Glasfryn, Tremadog, 17/05/1906, aged 19 wks.

Also Bennett Williams, 27/11/1922 aged 75 yrs.

193   Jane, wife of Phillip O Evans, Glaslyn St., Portmadoc, 25/06/1901, aged 44 yrs.
Her son John, 07/01/1867  -  03/12/1903.
(The double grave next to it, in the next row up, is that of my grandparents (mother's side), 3 of their children and 2 grandchildren, including my sister, died 6 yrs before I was born.)

All inscriptions are in Welsh. Info is from the MIs Booklet; havn't checked it's accuracy, but have visited the graves today.
Will send you a personal message, re. your proposed visit.
Emyr

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emyr,

Yes it does seem a bit complicated but it makes sense and i will explain it following my visit tomorrow

Many thanks for all the details

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you all for your help. Having been to Porthmadog, I have been able to discover the graves for Thomas and Jane Owen, their daughter Margaret, son Phillip (and both his wives) plus additional family graves for the Evans family. 

More to be discovered but so far my grateful thanks .

Alan

Offline Morthin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 May 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
EMYR
I see that you have the books about graves in the Porthmadog area, I am looking for the grave of Richard Bonner Thomas a watchmaker from Porthmadog who died in November 1900, the newspaper states that he was buried in the local cemetery, but there are three in Porthmadog, the Penamser, Tan y Garth and Capel Salem one, any chance of you looking up in your books to find where he is buried.
Many thanks
Morthin

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 May 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Was buried in Penamser, also known as Moelygest. Inscription recorded in Gwynedd Family History Society , Manuscript Inscription booklet appears to have an error in it. I'll check it, probably tomorrow.

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3317316/3317324/66/bonner

Emyr