Author Topic: Photos? St Clement churchyard, Old Romney - DOWLE family  (Read 10233 times)

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
Photos? St Clement churchyard, Old Romney - DOWLE family
« on: Sunday 19 January 14 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Please excuse this somewhat different request.

Does anyone on this list live near the church of St. Clement in Old Romney?
Or - is there a collection of individual gravestone photos from this churchyard which can be accessed?

I have discovered that there are 3 headstones in the churchyard for members of the Dowle family and we would love to obtain photos of these, please.  ;D

We are in Australia and have no chance of visiting Kent in the foreseeable future.

Can anyone help, please?

Inscriptions for the 3 headstones are recorded at http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/MIs/MIsOldRomney/01.htm and they are entries #40, 41 and 42.

Hopefully,  ???
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photos? St Clement churchyard, Old Romney - DOWLE family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 January 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there OzJen.

Unless someone can manage it sooner, I should be able to be able to get to Old Romney in the near future (you know, work, weather and other distractions tend to get in the way!)

However, judging from the dates, and assuming the gravestones still exist, there is a strong chance that they may be badly worn and almost illegible. Let's hope for the best.

Watch this space.

Regards,
Scobie

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 January 14 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Scobie. We're just really interested to see what we can see and will appreciate whatever can be done.

Cheers,
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 January 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi OzJen,
            Are you aware of Old Romney Parish Record Burial for.
John Dowle .  1st December 1829. Age at Death 63.  CDoB 1766 .Abode Dymchurch.
Source - East Kent Burial Index.

These are just a few of the many Dowle Marriages at Old and New Romney. There are many many more  in and arround the Romney Marsh Area parishes .
 1762 02 November DOWLE John Ann Shearwen Old Romney Romney Marsh 
 1763 24 May DOWLE Abraham Mary Sherwood Old Romney Romney Marsh
 1764 11 September DOWLE James Ann Hoare New Romney Romney Marsh 
 1768 07 July DOWLE Thomas Hannah Cooper New Romney Romney Marsh
 1800 08 April DOWLE James Mary Hunt Old Romney Romney Marsh
 1807 18 October DOWLE Susannah James Adams Old Romney Romney Marsh
Source -  Mid Kent Marriage Index.

WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for adding this information, grandarog - not sure about the John Dowle of cDoB 1766 - will have to go back to see where he may fit. Some of the others in the listing you gave are certainly ours!

Thanks for helping!
OzJen

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 January 14 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello again OzJen.

I have the photographs that you requested. If you would like to P.M. an email address to which I can send them, I will get them to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Scobie

Offline Marsh Maid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 March 14 19:30 GMT (UK) »
HI
Randomly came across your message( and this site) when trying to find my great aunts' bungalow in Old Romney... the bungalow was called BERWIL named after the parents of my two unmarried great Aunts ( sisters) Amelia and Florence Dowle.-- ie Bertha and William Dowle.
 Amelia and Florence's sister was Elsie May Dowle married David Ernest Moore of Brenzett ( very near Old Romney)  their middle child, Avis, was my mother.  I was very close to my maiden Aunts and spent much time as a child and teenager staying with them in the holidays at Berwil.
Bertha and William Dowle are buried in St Clements churchyard ( not sure about Amelia and Florence .. they may have been cremated) I spent quite a lot of time helping Aunt Flo and Aunt Millie in the church and helping to keep the gravestones of William and Bertha ( and possibly other relatives)
 Amelia died in her sixties and Florence continued to live at Berwil until she had a stroke ( I think in her eighties)  She went into a nursing home where the owners persuaded her to sign over her home, contents ( and a large field) to them on condition they stayed in it to look after her until she died! She did come home but didn't live long and that was the last my mother as her only Godchild saw of the house, land and contents.  Long story.. I have been unable to find Berwil .. but that is because it has at some time, perhaps quite a long time ago, been sold along with the land and houses have been built on the site.. it is at least called Dowle Close.
I have some info re dates of birth etc of these Dowles ( as they only had three girls the Dowle line there has stopped but there are a lot of relatives through Elsie May( my beloved Grandma)
William and Bertha lived in the Manor House in Old Romney which I have found sold, I think, in the last year or two so there are photos about on Zoopla etc of this house as it is now etc. I used to think it was their house but recently have begun to think that they probably rented it- it may have been a tied rental as I believe William was in agriculture. When they died Berwil was built for Amelia and Florence- it was a modest three bedroom bungalow.
I'll not say more now as this may not be of interest to you as am not sure .. if these are the Dowles that you are interested in.
it would be good to hear that I have other Dowle relations?
Best Wishes

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marsh Maid,

What a fascinating post! I'm not sure if these Dowles are part of the line I'm chasing, but I will certainly look into it very carefully. Thank you so much for sharing such an interesting story - I will start investigating!

Regards,
OzJen

Offline Marsh Maid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I will look up the dates and see if I have anything else.. and, looking at the thread, see if any of the names mentioned by someone else in your thread have a connection to "my" Old Romney Dowles.
 I have a few family photos with some Dowles in which I would need to find and scan at some point - as an aging computer illiterate I can't do it immediately! Would they be of interest to you maybe at some point...? let me know anytime and I'll get onto it.

(I do have quite a lot of family tree back to 1700 for my grandfather's line (he married Elsie May Dowle ) but I imagine that is one step too far removed for you.)
Best wishes