Author Topic: 1861 Census - James  (Read 2425 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
1861 Census - James
« on: Sunday 19 January 14 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Request lookup in 1861 census for Avarina James born about 1854 in Aberystwyth (Llanbadarn Fawr).   Her mother was Mary James born about 1832.

Thanks, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census - James
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 January 14 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this family is worth looking at.  Living at  Bank Y Daren, Parcel Canol. Except the father all born Llanbadarn Fawr  Just a thought that Silina may have been misrecorded and might be Avarina

John James 53 Lead Miner b Cardigan Llanfihangel       
Jane James    45    
Mary James Daughter    Unmarried   27     Dressing The Mine    
Thomas James 14    Dressing The Mine
Richard James   13 Dressing The Mine    
Margaret James 11          
Silina James   Daughter    6          
David James   1    
RG09 piece 4200 folio 48 page 23

Kay       

Edit - Sadly there does appear to be a Selina of the right age in later census years

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 January 14 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay, looks like a possibility, Mary is roughly the right age as is Silina.   It was also fairly common for parents to represent children of unmarried daughters as their own.   Shame about the Selina in later census.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline JJonesThomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 April 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I'm looking for exactly the same thing. I read on Llanbadarn churchyard.org that she was the illegitimate daughter from Mary James's employer. I only started my family history yesterday and now stuck on Mary James.

By the way, is this by any chance Tydfil's son? This is Jack's daughter. Hope I have the right person!

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to RootsChat and Cardiganshire.   The name Avarina seems to run through this family.   As far as I can work out, her grandmother was called Avarina as was her daughter.   She married David Lloyd Warrington in 1872 and died in 1884.   Are you related to her or the Warringtons?

Dave

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 06:20 BST (UK) »
The Avarina James in the graveyard was Avarina James (Warrington) grandmother.

Dave

Offline JJonesThomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

That's very interesting. Is she at the graveyard I mentioned? I wouldn't going to see if she is.

My Great Grandmother was Mary A Warrington, the Granddaughter of Mary James. How are you connected?

Regards,

Jacqueline

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:55 BST (UK) »
I don't know if the grave is still there, Jacqueline, as I'm not au fait with Llanbadarn cemetery.   There are some Warrington burials in Aberystwyth cemetery and are recorded on the council website.   My connection is by marriage and through Meciah Warrington's descendants.   He was Mary Ann Warrington's uncle and Avarina James's sister in law.   For further information touch the middle icon below the Wiltshire Woodland picture to the left and it should take you to my tree - the Welsh Connection.   See how my information compares with yours.
Dave

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 13:01 BST (UK) »
I've also sent you a personal message (PM).
Dave