Author Topic: Gretna Old Church lookup for George Johnston 1751?  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Crisscreek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gretna Old Church lookup for George Johnston 1751?
« on: Sunday 19 January 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone can help me out here.  I've got George Johnston m. Jean Little.  One of their sons is George Johnston bap: Jan 7, 1752.  His birth registration reads "Baptized George son to Jean Little Relict to George Johnston in Goldiesleigh".

So, now I'm on the hunt for the father, George Johnston of Goldiesleigh.

Can someone do MI lookup for me, I'm thinking Gretna Old Church, but perhaps there are others.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Gretna Old Church lookup for George Johnston 1751?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 January 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the Dumfries & Galloway graveyard inscriptions on-line for Gretna churchyard and it only showed 2. one is a Johnston. Not sure if it helps or is any connection.

Robt. carruther in Reidhall who d. 21 Apr 1721 age 56 yrs aslo Sibell Johnston his spouse who d. 2 Feb 1741 age 73 yrs.
 (coat of arms)

Could the Sibell Johnston be related to your George.

The next time I am at the library, I'll have search for you.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Visited the library this afternoon.

This is all the information I could find, may or may not be helpful.

1841 census has Goldeslea (this appears to be a large farm in Gretna)
1851 census has Goldeslee. Still there on the 1861 map.

Just for your information, there are no BMD's for Gretna before 1730. Found George and Jeans marriage for 4 March 1739 - Gretna. No sign of Jean Little's death.

The following information is from Memorials of Graitney Parish -  Graitney being the old name for Gretna. Could this be your George married to Jean Little? There are only the two George Johnston's burials.

George Johnston in Readhall who died 18 December 1768 age 57 yrs and James Johnston who died at Rigg 24 February 1872 age 51 yrs.

Readhall spelt Redhall on the map and Rigg are all in Gretna and not too far from each other.

The next one may not have any connection but, thought I would take note for you.

Mary Pickering spouse to George Johnston in Springfield who died 26 October 1798 aged 22 yrs And Ann Harkness his mother who died at Goldeslee 20 October 1833 aged 84 yrs  And Thomas Johnston his father who died there 1st November 1835 age 88 yrs  And George Johnston who died 17 December 1854 age 88 yrs And Margaret Pickering daughter of the late John Pickering, tea dealer, Langholm who died 20 October 1888 age 77

cupcake

Offline Crisscreek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
thanks Cupcake!

I have those inscriptions, and I was plugging happily along thinking that the George Johnston in Reidhall was my guy...but then...(isn't there always?) his last son, also George born 1752.  His OPR entry reads to "Jean Little Relict of George Johnston"...so George was dead by the time younger George was born.  Had to have died 1751.

The inscription with Ann Harkness and Thomas Johnston is indeed my bunch-the George I am currently stuck on is Thomas' father

thank you also for confirming where Reidhall was.  I had been scratching my head over that one.

I guess this is one that I need to put on hold for awhile and hope something shows up.

"Goldieslee" is interesting.  Thomas went to Birmingham, and a few generations later a branch of  the family adopted the surname St. Johnston, and the family home there is still called Goldieslea.  They also had a descendant move to New Zealand (physician, major historical figure) who built a historic home named "Goldie's Brae"  Obviously it was important to them!

I appreciate your efforts.

Barb

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 January 14 08:57 GMT (UK) »
 Hi again,

I read it as Jean Little had died, perhaps in childbirth and was relict to George.

I enjoyed my time at the library, love searching, keeps the old grey cells working.

Good luck with your search.

cupcake

Offline bellysally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 March 17 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crisscreek and in my husband's family tree he has a Anne Little or Liddell married to a George J (Miller of Bonshaw) Johnston and his birth is est 1725 at Annandale, Dumfries. Anne was born abt 1725 and their son was Thomas Johnston born 1785 at Goldieslie Farm, Dumfries and died 1/11/1835 at Gretna. Thomas married Anne Harkness abt 1771 and had the following children - George 1772-1854' Jean (Jane) 1775-1865; A;lexander 1776-; John 1779- and Thomas. Thomas Johnston is my husband's 4xgreat grandfather. All I have I got from ancestry when it comes to George J Johnston and they have his father as Johnston of Dunksbillie.
From Thomas Johnston I have quite a lot of his family history but not for his father or grandfather.
I do the researching for the tree but am still very new at it so rather inexperienced. It is the Harkness side I want to search for as from what I have of Anne Harkness and her family, it leads to the Covenanters and James "Capt Long Gun" Harkness and Thomas "The Fair" Harkness being his (hubby) 6th and 7th great grandfathers. But on ancestry there are conflicting information regarding whether the Anne Harkness is from another Harkness line or leading to the Covenanters.
 One of the sons of Thomas Johnston and Elizabeth Woodiwis. Alexander Johnston (2nd great grandfather) had an liason with a Catharine Yorston (2nd g/grandmother) and (who had immigrated to Sydney) when he was a ship's doctor in Sydney. They did not marry and Catharine returned to London and gave birth to their daughter Emily Kate and EK is registered as Emily Kate Johnston on the England birth Registry and on the formal birth certificate EK is known as Emily Kate Johnston-Yorston and Alexander's name is down as father but he did not sign the paper. In 1856 Catharine and Emily Kate immigrated to Wellington, NZ as her father and sister had emigrated to Wgtn a few years earlier. Alexander Johnston ended up living in Wellington and he ran Wellington Hospital and was the head medical examiner and he built and designed his family home (married Emily Acland) at Wadestown and the home was called Goldie's Brae but known to locals as the "banana house' due to shape. The house is now listed in the Historic Places Act. Emily Kate is my husband's great grandmother.
 Back to Anne Harkness and whether she is linked to the Covenanters (I must confess that I hope it is the right track!) or not. I tried searching on Scotland's People for her birth/marriage or death record but could not find anything.
 Cheers, Judy
Berry, Kennedy, Prime, deMalmanche, Pew, Murphy, Hastie, Wilson, Simpson, McDiarmid, Harkness, Johnston, Yorston

Offline Crisscreek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 March 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bellysally!

Was it ever neat to open my email and see a response on the this long defunct thread!  I'm replying from work, so the details are unclear to me.  I completed the research as far as I could on this family, indeed linking them back to "Long Gun" Harkness.  I've also compiled information on other various interesting members of the family-including wills and newspaper clippings.  I honestly don't recall George J (of Bonshaw) in the geneaology, so we will definately have to compare notes.

Regarding Emily Kate:  If I recall correctly, I think Thomas's will makes quite an explicit point about excluding them from any inheritance.  (or I may have this confused with another liaison that happened). 

I've written a book regarding the genealogy of this family, and will go home after work and consult my tree.  There's nothing to say I didn't make a mistake.

Do you want to email me privately at (*) and we can carry on?

Thanks!  Good to hear from you!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.