Author Topic: What happened to Annie Adams/Denstone?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Oreo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Annie Adams/Denstone?
« on: Monday 20 January 14 16:40 GMT (UK) »
On 1881 census George Edward Adams (transcribed incorrectly as T E Adams) is living at Kremlin Avenue, West Derby (near Liverpool).  His wife is Annie Adams.  They have a daughter Annie L Adams. George's sister-in-law, Ada Denstone, is also staying with them.  From this I assume that Annie's maiden name was Denstone and I have found her family on 1861 and 1871 censuses in Broseley, Shropshire.  George was also from Broseley.  I have, however, been unable to find a marriage certificate for George and Annie.  This seems unusual for that time period.

On 1891 census, George is living at 39 Crowndale Road, St. Pancras, London.  His wife is Ada Adams.  He married Ada Denstone on 7 December, 1889.  I assume this is Annie's sister.  The name and occupation of her father on the marriage certificate (John Denstone, a potter) seems to confirm this. 

George's daughter (Annie Louisa Adams) from his 'marriage' to Annie  died in Tottenham in 1887.  I have no idea what happened to his wife, Annie.  I can't find a death for Annie/Ann Denstone, so I assume that she must have either married or died using the name Adams.

The odd thing is that Ada Denstone was born in Broseley Shropshire, but on 1891 census onwards she gives her place of birth as London.  I wonder why this is. 

Unfortunately, Annie Adams is a fairly common name and it is hard to track down when she died.  The family were in West Derby in 1881 and in Tottenham in 1887.  They could have been anywhere between those dates.  There is an Annie Adams that died in Brentford in June quarter of 1887, but I would have to order the death certificate to be sure, and it might not be the right person.

Has anyone any ideas?  Am I overlooking something?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Annie Adams/Denstone?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you tracked Ada and Annie back to the 1861/71 censuses?  Ada could have been born to a second marriage and Annie may have a different surname
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:29 GMT (UK) »
1861 for Broseley - Annie was a bit older than shown in 1881.  All b Broseley except wife Ann

John Denstone   45 earthenware potter
Ann  47 b Market Drayton
Thomas 19
Eliza  14
Catharine  11
John 9
Ann  7
RG9 Piece 1859 Folio 74 Page 49
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:32 GMT (UK) »
1871 for Broseley - Ada is transcribed as Adah and Annie as Amie.  All shown as b Broseley - including mother Ann

John Denstone   56  potter
Ann  58
John  19
Annie  17
Ada  9
RG10 Piece 2757 Folio 51 Page 3

Offline Oreo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole.  I had seen the 1861 and 1871 censuses.  I can't figure out why Ada would later give her place of birth as London, when she came from the same place as her husband (Broseley).  I wondered if it could be a different Ada Denstone, but I can't find any others and the coincidence would be uncanny. 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any marriage between Annie & George - if they never married it would be rather ironic that he later married her sister

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 17:33 GMT (UK) »
If we use Annies real birthyear of 1853/54 - there is a death in 1888 St Olave for an Annie Adams b 1853

Is George shown as a widower on the 1889 marriage cert

Offline Oreo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »
No, George isn't shown as a widower.   Thanks for suggesting the death in St. Olave.  It is a possibility and I will follow up on it.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
So no marriage - mmm  I wonder why.  We are assuming Annie died but maybe she didn't.  Perhaps they split up

Annie was born as Ann

Ann Denstone September qtr 1854  Madeley 6a 541