Author Topic: What happened to Annie Adams/Denstone?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline mrsboodle

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Annie Adams/Denstone?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 October 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Annie Adams (nee Denstone) was my great-great-grandmother.  As far as I am aware, she was born in Shropshire and I have no idea why she is subsequently listed as having been born in London.  She had at least seven children - three of whom died within three weeks of each other.  Her sister, Ada, was enlisted to help her in her grief, and George and Ada promptly married each other leaving Annie on her own with the remaining four children - Edith, Ada, Tom & Lily.  The family were already in London by this time and my great-grandmother, Edith, looked after the children when Annie "turned to drink".  The children were subsequently sent to the Workhouse by order of the Magistrate with my great-grandmother learning to cook and Tom eventually joining the Navy.  Lily died I believe at the age of 5 (my great-grandmother could be brought to tears by this even in her 90s).  Edith lived until 1978 and died within a few months of her own sister Ada (confusing!!!)

I'm unsure of the sequence of events in the intervening years but Annie went to live with my great-grandmother and her family (one of whom was my grandmother) and died on Christmas Day 1934.  George and Ada had one child - Minnie - who I understand died young.  If anyone has any further information I would love to hear.  Kate

Offline Oreo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Annie Adams/Denstone?
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Can’t find a death for Annie Adams for December 1934 or for Jan 1935. Do you know where she died?

Also, what was Ada’s married name?