Author Topic: Titles  (Read 1939 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Titles
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 January 14 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Sticking to the parameters by which you posed the question....I would not be at all concerned by the description of "Gent" against the baptism record.

"Gentleman" was a self-bestowed title used by and of all kinds of tradesmen.  In records it is often mixed in with the more precise description of their occupation.  In the case of the baptism record, we can't tell whether the description written into the minister's notes on that day came from Wintle senior himself or from the minister, who may have been too busy to ask.

So if you think you have the right baptism, the discrepancy between "Gent" and "Silversmith" is of no consequence.

Offline Mum2randa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:31 GMT (UK) »
@ Ruskie - I am working on eliminating people from this equation at the moment. Although Wintle is not such a common name, there do seem to have been quite a few around at that time, mostly in the same or related professions, not all the records give a lot of information either. Another issue are the locations as the family either moved a lot or, didn`t live where they worked. So, it is possible I suppose that James listed as 30 North Street, City Road in a trade directory, could indeed have had a family home in Church Row.

@ horselydown86 - I do think the Baptismal certificate is correct, partly because the name of the Mother given here is Eliza Tomazine. Now James`s second marriage was to Eliza Tomazine Holmes, which is presumably why the child, Frederick Holmes Wintle, has his 2nd name as Holmes.
Reassuring to hear you think that "Gent" is of no consequence. I dare say that the Minister must have been pretty busy that day, particularly with three of James`s offspring to baptise.

Really wish I could find some reason for the death of James and his 2nd wife Eliza Tomazine. It seems strange that they should both die in their 40`s in 1832 with 1 month of each other. I can only assume it was the result of the Cholera epidemic or some kind of accident. Does anyone know if there is a website (free preferably :-))  ) where one can find obituaries? I have found Frederick the son living with an Uncle at a later date (1841 census) so the whole family didn`t succumb to whatever the cause was. 

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 January 14 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you viewed the actual burial record? There could be a clue in there.  I did some parish record transcriptions a while ago and noticed some marks on the pages next to peoples names, "s.p.". Eventually I worked out that the vicar had recorded who had died of small pox!

There's a record of James Wintle, North Street, City Road in the Bancruptcy Directory 1820-1843, 20 July 1824

I've also found records of a James Wintle who is a Stamp inspector (and is still alive at the end of 1832) so be careful on getting those mixed up.

I'm going to see if I can find anything else out and will let you know.

As for the Gent/silversmith thing, I wouldn't worry.  Sometimes chaps wanted to elevate their status or the vicar didn't fill the register in until the end of the year and had forgotten all the details!
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 January 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
In the death duty register I found what looks like:

Wintle, Jas. Henrietta Wintle, 3 Church Row, Kennington 2, 301
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Mum2randa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 January 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisajj, can you point me in the right direction for this death duty register please? I have a death record for Henrietta  (18 Jan 1826) who was first wife for James and the Baptism record for the three children shows Church Row.
I wonder if she died in childbirth and the "Wintle, Jas." may have been the son of James senior? Possibly stillborn?

Offline Mum2randa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 January 14 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone who has helped with ideas and such. I think I am now less concerned about the discrepancy in James occupation. I am of the opinion that as he got older and (possibly) grew his wealth, he decided to change his occupation from Silversmith to Gent to elevate his status.