Author Topic: Oldham Cole marriage Cork  (Read 6999 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oldham Cole marriage Cork
« on: Wednesday 22 January 14 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find either the marriage announcement or the church record for my GGGgrandparents James Oldham and Mary (I believe her full name was Kathleen Mary) Cole of Cork. James's sister Jane Oldham married William Travers in Cork according to a newspaper clipping at St. Peter's church by Rev William Wilson, LLD. My guess is the James and Mary were married in the same church as they were both from Cork. James and Jane's mother Ann (Hollis) Oldham would also be a member of this church as well. I do know Mary also spent some years in Kinsale. James and Mary's first child Annette was born in Dublin in 1850 where they moved for his job. My guess is they married around 1848 or so. I can't find a listing for St Peter's church records in the LDS or anywhere online. I also tried searching the Cork Examiner without success. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks very much!
Alison
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham Cole marriage Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Here is a Link to details on St.Peter's Church
As a CoI church the records are centrally held at The Representative Church Body Library in Dublin
They hold the following Parish Registers for St Peter's Church:
Baptisms: 1873 - 1949.
Marriages: 1845 - 1948.
Burials: 1877 - 1881.

There is a family tree on line on A*.com that states Mary Cole was from Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh - they may have married in the Bride's parish

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 17:14 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I presume your Oldham/Coles were Church of Ireland.   As you felt they got married in 1848
their marriage should be listed on www.familysearch.org  as Church of Ireland marriages in
Ireland were registered from 1845 onwards.

The only Oldham/Cole marriage I found on that site was the following
one for James Oldham & Mary Cole  on 23rd June 1842 at Holy Trinity Church , Gosport , Hampshire

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajames~%20%2Bsurname%3Aoldham%20%2Bmarriage_place%3Aeniskillen~%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1840-1850~%20%2Bspouse_givenname%3A%22mary%20kate%22~%20%2Bspouse_surname%3Acole

I hope I am not leading you astray with this possibility. 
Could James  or Mary have been working there before they married?

The previous poster said the Representative Church Body Library have certain records for
St. Peters, however they do not do look ups, so not much good to you if you are in UK.

To know if the above marriage is the correct one  you would need to purchase the record

Mary

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much to My Luck and Mary! I will certainly check out the St Peter's information. It is certainly possible that the bride and groom married in Hampshire because she had family living in England. I will also try Enniskillen. Thanks again to both of you. I really appreciate your advice!
Alison

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 February 14 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Mary,
I just wanted to thank you again because it turns out that was my Mary and James who married in Gosford, England! I was able to find out new information as well. Mary Cole was adopted by Henry Massey and Mary (Bowler) Massey of Kinsale. Now I am on the hunt to find out about Henry Massey (listed as a gentleman under occupation). I found a record of a will for a Henry Massey in 1832 in another genealogy database but not the actual will. I will have to find out if I can purchase this. I may have also found Mary in Gosport in 1841 living with Mary Rice. We have a bible page with the name Eliza Rice on it (with the date 1832 as well) so there may be some blood connection to this family. Anyway, thanks so much for the push in the right direction!
Alison

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 February 14 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,

That's brilliant news, thanks for letting me know.  It is great when one of my suggestions works out
and nice of you to let me know.   

I will have a look and see if I have anything on Massey of Kinsale.   They are probably Church of Ireland.   

Thanks again

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 February 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
AKISSLING
Ref Henry Massey www.nationalarchives.ie
Have a look @ Griffiths Valuation & Tithe Applotment records there is Henry Massey records for Co Cork :)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 February 14 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mary and ballydw. I will check the Griffiths Valuation right now!

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 February 14 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

I had a search through some books I have on Cork families, one in particular
titles "The Pooles of Mayfield, and other Irish families" by Rosemary Ffolliott doesn't
have anything on Massey, Oldham or Bowler.  There was a mention  of a man named
Bartholomew Poole b 24.7.1741 marrying a Jane Rice in 1773. She was buried 14.9.1788.
They had two children, a son Thomas born and died 1773 and a daughter Alice bapt. 18.11.1776
married 14.2.1796 to Benjamin Tanner of Bandon.  So no Rice connection there to any of the
surnames you mentioned.

I also searched another resource by Rosemary Ffolliott, newspaper index for years
1790 until 1830 ( I know a bit early ).  I did find two references to surnames connected to your
search. 

1.    Death notice in newspaper Cork Morning Intelligence Thursday 18.9.1821
" On Friday 14th inst. at the house of his brother in law H. Massey Esq., Kinsale William Bowler
Esq., Surgeon."

2.   Marriage notice in newspaper Cork Mercantile Chronicle 28 Nov 1809
"   on Saturday by the Rev. Mr. Donovan at St. Nicholas Church, Mr. John Oldham late of Blarney,
to Miss Anne Hollis of Fish Street.

So two definite connections to your surnames.  You already knew that John Oldham was married to
Anne Hollis.   St Nicholas' Church is in Cove Street, Cork acro
ss the River Lee from the South Mall and Patrick Street ( which is the main street).  It is no longer used as a church but is currently being used as an office.    Picture here -
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=CC&regno=20514598

A great free site for looking up Church births, marriages and burials is www.irishgenealogy.ie 
You can browse through church records.  Some St. Nicholas records are on it, but they seem to
be included with the South Parish church which is R.C.  This is just one entry for a Mary Cole ( I am not associating it with your Mary) however it mentions  St. Nicholas and a few other churches at the side of the record. Worth browsing. 

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/e904d60051889

Some Oldhams and Masseys on it.  Not all Cork Parishes are on it. Kinsale is not on it. 

With regard to the Griffiths valuation, Litter is actually in the Barony of Fermoy about 60 miles from Kinsale.    There are many Massey graves in Castlehyde cemetery which is just outside Fermoy.
Also a lot of Masseys in Macroom area.   

Havn't found much on Henry Massey Esq. Kinsale, he seems to have been a member of the
Kinsale town council at some stage. 

that's it for now
Mary
Celtic Liberty