Author Topic: McManus family of Kilmore, Cavan  (Read 3705 times)

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McManus family of Kilmore, Cavan
« on: Wednesday 22 January 14 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I am  looking for help with finding the McManus family of Cavan.  What I have is JOHN McMANUS born Cavan around 1746.  He was in the military and served in the USA where he was wounded and returned to the UK.  He became a Chelsea Pensioner stationed at Fort George, near Inverness, Scotland.  He married Margaret Ruddoch/Riddoch who was from Petty, near Inverness, and had a son, John McManus born Ardersier, near Inverness in 1798. 

John and his family moved to Elgin where he died.  His son, John McManus, married Margaret Murdoch, settled in Elgin and had a family.

I would like to find out more about John's family in Cavan but not sure where to start.

Can anyone help please?

Offline Neli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Onwards and upwards!
    • View Profile
Nolan, Donohoe, O'Neill, McNally, O'Reilly

Offline Neli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Onwards and upwards!
    • View Profile
Re: McManus family of Kilmore, Cavan
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
There's a john Mcmanus in castlerahan :-)

Offline Neli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Onwards and upwards!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 14 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Not suggesting that's him by the way, he would have been gone by then, most probably, but it could be a relative. there are a few McManus', do you know any more names, brothers maybe?

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neli
Many thanks for your response.  I will check the flax growers list.  I have little on him and no idea of brothers and sisters.  Only his army record and later census returns in Elgin.  They don't mention brothers, sisters or parents.  I will have another look at them in case I have missed something.  His army records say he was born in Kilmore, Cavan.  There was another McManus, Patrick McManus who also served in the army from Cavan.  Perhaps a link there. 

Offline dc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
It's probable a long shot, but there's a McManus family from  Derrylin, just over the border in Fermanagh. A band that was known as the mama's boys, were 3 brothers. One of them now has his own band, The Pat McManus Band. Great Guitar player. easy to find on google.
DC.